Group: Members
Member No.: 1,038
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Clover
Favorite Anime: K-ON!!
Favorite Movie: Studio Ghibli films, SPIDERVERSE
Favorite Book: Norwegian Wood
Favorite Game: Animal Crossing New Leaf

No idea if this has been shared before on the forum and I apologise if it has! Recently came across the original character designs for Totally Spies by Gil Formosa. First time seeing these and thought it’s worth sharing, would love to know what others think of these concepts.

Brief description from his website on the TS section (Translated using Google Translate so hopefully it’s accurate enough!):

“Some of my different stages for the creation of the 3 girls of the animated series Totally Spies.
Several graphic styles were discussed before reaching the final characters of the animated series produced by Marathon and broadcast on TF1 and in 170 countries.”

http://gil.formosa.free.fr/illustrations.j...ml#totallyspies

Attached Image

This concept to me shouts “Bond girl” but obviously more than one Bond girl here haha. It almost has a sci-fi feel, maybe it’s the silver guns and Sam’s white/silverly catsuit? Alex’s hair is super different! Interesting to see Clover’s hairstyle is pretty similar to her final design.

Attached Image

I feel like I’ve seen this artstyle before on another 90s TV show but I can’t seem to pinpoint it. Something from the Pepper Ann or Doug era?? Anybody know what I’m chatting about? laugh.gif It’s very 90s highschool style, I like it!

Attached Image

This one must’ve one of the more final concepts they decided to go with. Very similar to the TS artstyle but without the anime-like features I suppose? I really like Sam’s hair in the middle here although it’s very Kim Possible looking too! Clover’s screaming face is pretty good here haha
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hdc
post Apr 8 2019, 09:28 PM
Post #2

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,016
Favorite Character:

That's a great find. I haven't seen these before.

The first one definitely has a 60s sci-fi feel. No surprise Clover looks better in black, and I also like the garter-esque equipment on her thigh and the fingerless gloves they all have.

They look older than teenagers from their faces and especially their poses. Alex has maybe the most suggestive one, simultaneously showing off her front and rear views. Sam is clearly saying she is no slouch in either category herself, especially with that out-thrust chest. Clover is jutting that hip and has (of course) upped the ante by unzipping and showing cleavage! Also notice how, despite wearing black which might obscure her shape, she has a red shoulder strap for her gun which she then manages to hide with her chest. ; )

Then there are those rather deadly looking firearms. Sam seems to have a rifle, Clover a shotgun, and Alex a grenade launcher. Those would match their personalities - precise, blunt, and just don't piss her off, respectively.

I also see both Alex and Clover have stuffed animals. That almost seems meant as a counterpoint to the otherwise rather adult tone of the image.

The sketch of Sam in the bottom center of your third pic:

looks similar to a clip of her from the pilot (attachment 1). I wonder if the artist had any input into that. (Alex on the other hand has a less severe hairstyle than he gave her, though she's still Caucasian.)

Clover's personality seems to have taken shape early. I wonder if he had input into their personalities or if he was just given guidelines by Marathon? Maybe we could ask him.

This B&W version is even more suggestive (all three have larger or more clearly outlined chests).

And this one gives me the optical illusion that they're wearing nothing but belts and stockings...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
jettmanas
post Apr 8 2019, 10:23 PM
Post #3

Spy Chic V
Group Icon

Member No.: 901
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Alex & Martin Mystery
Favorite Anime: Persona 4
Favorite Manga: Nausicaa
Favorite Comic: Generation X (early issues)
Favorite Movie: Persona 3 movies (1-4)
Favorite Book: Animator's Survival Kit
Favorite Musician(s): Michiru Yamane (Skullgirls)
Favorite Album: Castle Crashers OST
Favorite Game: Jewelion (did the art/animation)

Wow, I've not seen these before either. Thanks very much.
And great insights by hdc.

The art is fantastic, and that first one ohmy.gif Yeah, they're definitely looking older.
Really interesting how much it changed.

The model sheets of action/expression are incredible.
Also curious about this pilot and caucasian Alex. I should see if can find it on YouTube.

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

My video game art/animation: http://www.tangerinepop.com/
However tough life gets, don't give up!

+Quote Post
hdc
post Apr 8 2019, 10:55 PM
Post #4

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (jettmanas @ Apr 8 2019, 03:23 PM) *
Also curious about this pilot and caucasian Alex. I should see if can find it on YouTube.

I've never managed to find it, but that definitely shouldn't discourage anyone else from looking. One possibility would be to comment on the clips that have been posted to Youtube and ask where they're from.

It has a page on the TS wiki but that doesn't really tell us anything.

Recently I came across this, which says:

"The original plans for Totally Spies were a lot more ambitious than what ended up on screen when the show debuted in 2001. It was going to be a reality series, in which young women would compete to be part of a tween-friendly all-girl pop band, which would then release an album and go on tour, with an animated series based on their adventures. The cartoon is the only part that came to any real fruition."

Not sure what their source is, but I'd say things worked out for the best.

Also, there was a video game with some similarities to TS, No One Lives Forever, released in 2000. It's a first-person stealth/shooter about a female British agent who works for a WOOHP-like organization during the Cold War and uses gadgets disguised as fashion accessories. It's sadly forgotten today, but it won several Game of the Year awards. I've always wondered if the TS creators drew any inspiration from it.

+Quote Post
jettmanas
post Apr 9 2019, 12:28 AM
Post #5

Spy Chic V
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (hdc @ Apr 8 2019, 03:55 PM) *

I've never managed to find it, but that definitely shouldn't discourage anyone else from looking. One possibility would be to comment on the clips that have been posted to Youtube and ask where they're from.

"The original plans for Totally Spies were a lot more ambitious than what ended up on screen when the show debuted in 2001. It was going to be a reality series, in which young women would compete to be part of a tween-friendly all-girl pop band, which would then release an album and go on tour, with an animated series based on their adventures. The cartoon is the only part that came to any real fruition."

Also, there was a video game with some similarities to TS, No One Lives Forever, released in 2000. It's a first-person stealth/shooter about a female British agent who works for a WOOHP-like organization during the Cold War and uses gadgets disguised as fashion accessories. It's sadly forgotten today, but it won several Game of the Year awards. I've always wondered if the TS creators drew any inspiration from it.

Good info, thanks.
I did find a clip on YouTube- but not the whole thing. And forgot once again how to post thumbnails.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlr8KRQ_Kt0

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Apr 9 2019, 08:12 AM
Post #6

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Game: Senran Kagura

QUOTE (jettmanas @ Apr 8 2019, 07:28 PM) *

Good info, thanks.
I did find a clip on YouTube- but not the whole thing. And forgot once again how to post thumbnails.

I went ahead and fixed the broken YouTube embed for you. Please read the guide on posting YouTube embeds:
http://tsug.net/index.php?showtopic=1575

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Apr 9 2019, 08:27 AM
Post #7

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (hdc @ Apr 8 2019, 05:55 PM) *

That's not a completely true statement though, because there was a Totally Spies band. This is what they looked like:
http://www.musik-base.de/Bands/Totally-Spies

I remember there being a tour of some kind in Europe, and maybe some stops in Asia (I remember reading about a mall performance). It may have been with different people though than the band in that link (who released a single I think). There's no record of any of this in English because it never came to the US. Totally Spies was a much bigger thing in French speaking Europe in regards to merchandise and tie-ins.

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Apr 9 2019, 09:02 AM
Post #8

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Nextstopplease @ Apr 8 2019, 01:46 PM) *

Attached Image

This concept to me shouts “Bond girl” but obviously more than one Bond girl here haha. It almost has a sci-fi feel, maybe it’s the silver guns and Sam’s white/silverly catsuit? Alex’s hair is super different! Interesting to see Clover’s hairstyle is pretty similar to her final design.

It's a very French scifi comic design I think. Reminiscent of stuff like Barbarella

Attached Image

I feel like I’ve seen this artstyle before on another 90s TV show but I can’t seem to pinpoint it. Something from the Pepper Ann or Doug era?? Anybody know what I’m chatting about? laugh.gif It’s very 90s highschool style, I like it!

It sort of looks like a leggier version of Braceface or Lizze McGuire or something. lol Although, it also evokes older character design styles from the 60's and 70's I think, which may go with the groovy retro theme of the show when it started. During the late 90's/early 2000's, stuff with faux-60's/70's aesthetic was back in style again. The show also borrows from Charlie's Angels.

Attached Image

This one must’ve one of the more final concepts they decided to go with. Very similar to the TS artstyle but without the anime-like features I suppose? I really like Sam’s hair in the middle here although it’s very Kim Possible looking too! Clover’s screaming face is pretty good here haha

I'm pretty sure Kim Possible was patterned after Sam. This was back when Disney was trying to copy what everyone else was doing in cartoons as some kind of attempt to control the market. Like there would be a quasi-Asian action show for kids, and then Disney would roll out their own take on the premise a few months later. I'm pretty convinced this was the same thing with Kim Possible, and the fact it replaced Totally Spies in its time slot on one cable station helps to underline that.

+Quote Post
jettmanas
post Apr 9 2019, 12:32 PM
Post #9

Spy Chic V
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Ryofu @ Apr 9 2019, 01:12 AM) *
QUOTE (jettmanas @ Apr 8 2019, 07:28 PM) *

Good info, thanks.

I went ahead and fixed the broken YouTube embed for you. Please read the guide on posting YouTube embeds:
http://tsug.net/index.php?showtopic=1575

Oh, thanks.
Yeah, I remember reading that guide a long time ago & forgot how to do it. Also where (which subsection) the info was on how to.
So BB tags are what I found in 'Insert Special Item' I'm thinking. And the last part of the YT link. Great.

And a band called Totally Spies- quite the find! No sign of them on YouTube.
Also that info on Kim Possible. I liked the show (it even got a silly live action film recently)-
But doing that to TS is so bad.

Anyway, great original design concepts!

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

+Quote Post
Nextstopplease
post Apr 9 2019, 01:56 PM
Post #10

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

I'm surprised you guys haven't seen this before! Actually came across the coloured mature concept drawing on Instagram, it was from a "throwback 90s cartoon" account (I'm pretty sure their display picture was an image of Mandy laugh.gif). Originally thought it some unique looking fanart and came across the artist's name, did a little research and here we are!

Loving everyone's input and observations here, I'm learning some more interesting facts too. Would LOVE to see the pilot episode if it's out there, Sam looks adorable with her beret in the pilot snippet. Also had no idea there was a TS band, the french-speaking European countries are lucky with all the extra TS content they had!

@hdc, Some very detailed responses on the mature concept, nothing gets past you wink.gif Contacting the artist is something we could definitely do!

@jettmanas, nice job finding the pilot clip! It's so cool to see the difference between the pilot and final animation.

@Ryofu, Great insights on the concept drawings and LIZZIE MCGUIRE!! Thank you! That is definitely the show I was thinking of, you have no idea how much that annoyed me laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Apr 9 2019, 06:42 PM
Post #11

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

@Ryofu, Great insights on the concept drawings and LIZZIE MCGUIRE!! Thank you! That is definitely the show I was thinking of, you have no idea how much that annoyed me laugh.gif

Somehow, I knew you were thinking of Lizzie McGuire even though I listed Braceface first. In fact, I don't think the character designs are that close and Lizzie McGuire is from the 2000's. XD But I guess I am a bit psychic and read your mind. Haha. tongue.gif

I'm surprised you guys haven't seen this before! Actually came across the coloured mature concept drawing on Instagram, it was from a "throwback 90s cartoon" account (I'm pretty sure their display picture was an image of Mandy laugh.gif). Originally thought it some unique looking fanart and came across the artist's name, did a little research and here we are!

The colored version I've seen years ago but not the other sketches I think. That version of TS looks a lot more mature for sure. XD Have you heard the original version of Here We Go? The one that sounds a lot more sexual? XD

Attached File  Moonbaby___Here_We_Go__Original_Version_.mp3 ( 8.87MB ) Number of downloads: 26

+Quote Post
hdc
post Apr 10 2019, 03:13 AM
Post #12

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Ryofu @ Apr 9 2019, 01:27 AM) *
That's not a completely true statement though, because there was a Totally Spies band. This is what they looked like:

I remember there being a tour of some kind in Europe, and maybe some stops in Asia (I remember reading about a mall performance). It may have been with different people though than the band in that link (who released a single I think). There's no record of any of this in English because it never came to the US. Totally Spies was a much bigger thing in French speaking Europe in regards to merchandise and tie-ins.

This is why you're the Godfather. : )

I've seen that CD sometimes on Ebay (example) but I assumed it was music from the show. That said, I think I'd prefer a CD with the voice actresses singing in their Clover/Sam/Alex/Mandy voices. ; )

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Apr 10 2019, 04:20 AM
Post #13

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (hdc @ Apr 9 2019, 10:13 PM) *
QUOTE (Ryofu @ Apr 9 2019, 01:27 AM) *

This is why you're the Godfather. : )

I've seen that CD sometimes on Ebay (example) but I assumed it was music from the show. That said, I think I'd prefer a CD with the voice actresses singing in their Clover/Sam/Alex/Mandy voices. ; )

Doesn't look like music to me. Putting into the translator, it says it's a "radio play." I guess sort of like those ones for cartoons they used to release on cassettes way back when or the radio plays they still release for anime now. It could also be a Video CD, aka a VCD, which was an aborted home video format that put VHS quality video on CDs.

+Quote Post
hdc
post Apr 10 2019, 06:42 AM
Post #14

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Ryofu @ Apr 9 2019, 09:20 PM) *
Doesn't look like music to me. Putting into the translator, it says it's a "radio play." I guess sort of like those ones for cartoons they used to release on cassettes way back when or the radio plays they still release for anime now. It could also be a Video CD, aka a VCD, which was an aborted home video format that put VHS quality video on CDs.

I think you're right, here are more, and some are indeed available on cassette (2, 3, 4).

Here's the band's CD:
https://www.amazon.de/Totally-Spies/dp/B000...sic&sr=1-11

At random, a cute pose of Clover leaning on Sam. I'll try to find a better/clearer version.

+Quote Post
Nextstopplease
post Apr 10 2019, 01:13 PM
Post #15

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Ryofu @ Apr 9 2019, 07:42 PM) *
Somehow, I knew you were thinking of Lizzie McGuire even though I listed Braceface first. In fact, I don't think the character designs are that close and Lizzie McGuire is from the 2000's. XD But I guess I am a bit psychic and read your mind. Haha. tongue.gif

You are definitely a mind reader, that or you know me so well already biggrin.gif And yeah, looking at the images together they don't actually look that similar whoops!

The colored version I've seen years ago but not the other sketches I think. That version of TS looks a lot more mature for sure. XD Have you heard the original version of Here We Go? The one that sounds a lot more sexual? XD

Attached File  Moonbaby___Here_We_Go__Original_Version_.mp3 ( 8.87MB ) Number of downloads: 26

I'm happy I was able to share some new content. I haven't heard this before so thanks for sharing and WOW the lyrics are really something else huh? laugh.gif This would definitely be Clover's version of the theme song! I'll elaborate on your music file post : )

+Quote Post
Nextstopplease
post Apr 10 2019, 01:21 PM
Post #16

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (hdc @ Apr 10 2019, 07:42 AM) *
I think you're right, here are more, and some are indeed available on cassette (2, 3, 4).

Here's the band's CD:
https://www.amazon.de/Totally-Spies/dp/B000...sic&sr=1-11

At random, a cute pose of Clover leaning on Sam. I'll try to find a better/clearer version.

These are some awesome finds! That backpack is an art form in itself laugh.gif The colours, the shape, the "Will Spy For Sushi" text and the glorious image of them together - How can I possess such a magnificent bag?

+Quote Post
hdc
post Apr 29 2019, 08:40 PM
Post #17

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Nextstopplease @ Apr 10 2019, 06:21 AM) *
These are some awesome finds! That backpack is an art form in itself laugh.gif The colours, the shape, the "Will Spy For Sushi" text and the glorious image of them together - How can I possess such a magnificent bag?

That pic is from a listing on an Ebay-esque site in the UAE.

https://for100dirhams.com/adverts/bags-wallets-luggages/4522 (14 inch version)
https://for100dirhams.com/bags-wallets-lugg...ies-backpack-17 (17 inch version)

The listings are over a year old and I don't know if I'd want to try shopping there. I'll keep an eye out in case it shows up somewhere more convenient (or if I can find the image they used).

Some random things I've found while shopping or otherwise wandering the internet:

1. Clover: "Oh wow. That's, like, one of those VHS thingies Jerry talks about sometimes. You know, that Tchaikovsky recorded the War of 1812 with."

2. A TV tray with a cute pose of the girls on it.

3. A French DVD cover with Sam in a beret and a cute Alex pose.

4. A French DVD cover. I absolutely love Clover's take on high-seas piracy (notice her heart eyepatch).

5. A TS magazine cover with Clover sporting the sexy librarian look.

6. Alex as a mermaid. Not sure who the artist is.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Nextstopplease
post Apr 29 2019, 09:05 PM
Post #18

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (hdc @ Apr 29 2019, 08:40 PM) *
The listings are over a year old and I don't know if I'd want to try shopping there.
One possibility would be to use something like Parcl. They are a package forwarding service. I've been using them to buy TS books and magazines on French sites that don't ship to the US. If need be they'll also buy the items for you (for example, I can't even register at one site because I don't have a French address). They use Paypal so supposedly you can get a refund if you don't get your stuff. I only started using them a week ago and haven't received anything yet, so I'll keep you all posted on how it turns out.

Some random things I've found while shopping or otherwise wandering the internet:

1. Clover: "Oh wow. That's, like, one of those VHS thingies Jerry talks about sometimes. You know, that Tchaikovsky recorded the War of 1812 with."

4. A French DVD cover. I absolutely love Clover's take on high-seas piracy (notice her heart eyepatch).

Okay first of all I have to say that pirate book cover is AMAZING! The spies all look insanely good in that image, seriously digging Clover’s pirate outfit too (especially the feathery hat and thigh-high boots hot damn heart1.gif). The art style looks very anime to me so I wonder who the artist/studio is, it’s almost like borderline fan art laugh.gif

Nice addition with Clover’s VHS comment haha! Loving her librarian look in the other book cover too, maybe I should change my favourite character from Sam to Clover now hmmmm

Great finds as always, hdc! You really have a gift for finding TS merch! I’m intrigued by this Parci company, do they only deal with French sites? Do let us know how it all goes once you get your order biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
jettmanas
post Apr 29 2019, 11:12 PM
Post #19

Spy Chic V
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Nextstopplease @ Apr 29 2019, 02:05 PM) *
QUOTE (hdc @ Apr 29 2019, 08:40 PM) *
The listings are over a year old and I don't know if I'd want to try shopping there.
One possibility would be to use something like Parcl. They are a package forwarding service. I've been using them to buy TS books and magazines on French sites that don't ship to the US. If need be they'll also buy the items for you (for example, I can't even register at one site because I don't have a French address). They use Paypal so supposedly you can get a refund if you don't get your stuff. I only started using them a week ago and haven't received anything yet, so I'll keep you all posted on how it turns out.

Okay first of all I have to say that pirate book cover is AMAZING! The spies all look insanely good in that image, seriously digging Clover’s pirate outfit too (especially the feathery hat and thigh-high boots hot damn heart1.gif). The art style looks very anime to me so I wonder who the artist/studio is, it’s almost like borderline fan art laugh.gif

Nice addition with Clover’s VHS comment haha! Loving her librarian look in the other book cover too, maybe I should change my favourite character from Sam to Clover now hmmmm

Great finds as always, hdc! You really have a gift for finding TS merch! I’m intrigued by this Parci company, do they only deal with French sites? Do let us know how it all goes once you get your order biggrin.gif

I agree; great finds.
The artstyle for the pirate Clover & co shot is official- Season 6: WOOHP Ahoy! episode. biggrin.gif
You guys should check out Season 6 if you get a chance- some really nice art/animation.

Clover's librarian look is awesome as well- Season 5: The Show Must Go On or Else.

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

+Quote Post
hdc
post Apr 30 2019, 01:25 AM
Post #20

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (jettmanas @ Apr 29 2019, 04:12 PM) *
I agree; great finds.
The artstyle for the pirate Clover & co shot is official- Season 6: WOOHP Ahoy! episode. biggrin.gif
You guys should check out Season 6 if you get a chance- some really nice art/animation.

Clover's librarian look is awesome as well- Season 5: The Show Must Go On or Else.

Yeah I've seen that same cutesy art style on some of the magazine covers, for example:

That always makes me smile, Alex makes a hilariously adorable kitty cat.

And yeah I'm finding most of the graphic novels in the magazines seem to be based on episodes rather than original stories, which is a bit disappointing. Though they're still worth scanning because they often have even nicer art than the show. I hope to start doing that before too long.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2019 - 06:12 AM
Skin by Andrea

TSUG.net is a fan made website created in appreciation of Totally Spies. TSUG.net is not affiliated with the owners or creators of Totally Spies or its characters and settings. Totally Spies is owned by Marathon Animation Inc. This website was created just for informational purposes and for fun. This website has not been profited from in any way.