IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Totally Spies DVD Discussion (New US Season 1, 2 and 3 DVDs on the Way!)
Ryofu
post Oct 23 2013, 01:57 AM
Post #41

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Game: Senran Kagura

QUOTE (DoubleU @ Oct 22 2013, 04:03 PM) *
QUOTE (Syxx @ Oct 22 2013, 07:03 AM) *
QUOTE (T C @ Oct 22 2013, 01:31 AM) *
QUOTE (Syxx @ Oct 21 2013, 09:48 PM) *
Good to hear. I still need to check my set, but I haven't gotten around to opening it yet. o---o

One thing interesting though is they replaced the Marathon logo in the beginning with the current logo, not the rectangular one they originally used. I only checked seasons 2 and 3, not sure about season 1 (I was too lazy to check LOL). It would be interesting if they changed it for season 1 as well, because if I remember correctly, the season 1 vol 1 and 2 that I bought before had the original rectangular logo.

We should also be able to see what was edited out of US broadcast. I'm sure there's some things that were cut out we weren't really aware of at the time. I recall Mommies Dearest getting the chainsaw applied to it after initial broadcasts because Clover referred to Stella not giving Tim Scam "the time of day," which was pretty freaking tame.

So TS was censored in the US? Could you give any more examples if you remember? I'm really interested in this

Yeah, the episode, I, Dude, was barely aired. Maybe once. I think it had to do with either the waves destroying a city (because of post-9-11 hysteria) or the beach bunnies in their sexy metal bikinis and their subsequent sexy fight scene with the spies. Starstruck was another episode that was barely aired. I'm guessing that had to do with the laser to Clover's vagina shtick ala James Bond. XD Not censoring per say, but it suggests to me maybe the would do other things too. There was also of course the disappointing re-airings of Evil Roommate.

However, unlike Season 5, most people have only seen the US broadcast of Season 3, so maybe there's something in there we haven't noticed before. Most people, for example, weren't aware they edited out the original opening and title cards for Season 1's broadcast until DVDs came out. I was actually quite surprised when I saw them the first time.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
T C
post Oct 23 2013, 10:28 PM
Post #42

Lackey

Group: Members
Member No.: 568
Favorite Character:

QUOTE (DoubleU @ Oct 22 2013, 02:03 PM) *
So TS was censored in the US? Could you give any more examples if you remember? I'm really interested in this

I don't remember censorship during the actual episodes, since I never paid that much attention or cared to compare, but all of seasons 1, 2, and 4's movie broadcasted on Cartoon Network in the US had the edited version of the intro song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq_sHJpmt0U and during the episodes, the flower that scrolls through the timestamp/location is replaced with a metallic gadget (for season 4's film it was the mini TS logo instead of the flower), and the scene transitions featuring the colorful Totally Spies logo was replaced with a metallic version of the logo.

+Quote Post
Mezoroth
post Oct 24 2013, 12:32 AM
Post #43

Dangerously close to doing "The Voice"
Group Icon

Member No.: 15
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Them Luxe Cousins, or Mandy and Yvette lol
Favorite Anime: Geass, Bamboo Blades, Sailah Moonz
Favorite Manga: Hajime Ippo, Bamboo Blades
Favorite Comic: Empowered, Deadpool & Cable, Dylan Dog
Favorite Book: Zombie Survival Guide
Favorite Game: GTA, SF, Mystical Ninja starring Goemon, Yakuzas

I know I, Dude got taken off for awhile after the tsunami in late 04 that wrecked Indonesia I think.

GOT IT COACH
Retsupurae
Arrange Stream (japanese)

Head Abbot of the Shrine of Princess Kimball since 2006
GASP! A character sketch for me?! Thanks Marathon! :3

The first step is admitting you have a problem...come obsess with me ;_;

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Oct 24 2013, 01:02 AM
Post #44

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Mezoroth @ Oct 23 2013, 07:32 PM) *
I know I, Dude got taken off for awhile after the tsunami in late 04 that wrecked Indonesia I think.

OK, it was a tsunami? lol Well, maybe that was just an excuse and it was the large amount of sexy bodies in that episode. I also remember during this time period they lied about canceling Mobile Suit Gundam because of 9-11, while anyone with a brain can figure out that wasn't the truth and they just wanted to get rid of it.

+Quote Post
GrandMasterGalva...
post Oct 29 2013, 12:40 AM
Post #45

This is the end for you!
Group Icon

Member No.: 13
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Britney X Me
Favorite Anime: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Favorite Comic: Sonic the Hedgehog/Sonic Universe
Favorite Game: Destiny

IIRC, the original opening was changed for the CN broadcast because it was "too girly", and CN was afraid to just dive in with a totally girl themed show. I hadn't actually planned on opening the DVDs, but if there's possible audio problems, then I'll have a look.

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Nov 7 2013, 09:51 AM
Post #46

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

Finally, opened my set today. I watched Game Girls from Season 1 because I had barely seen that episode during US broadcast. A lot of crap I don't remember from it like the Tron segment, more sex changing and Sam making an obvious reference to having sex with Alex as "Troy" using the gadget to change your appearance. O___O

Anyways, on to the important stuff. The video quality blows the hell out of all previous DVD releases I've seen for both US and Canada. There's not even any compression artifacts during the fucking intro, which was the case for previous releases. So they gave the episodes breathing room on these DVDs in regards to the encodes.

Picture is so good it almost looks like an anime Blu-ray, especially compared to how it looked during the previous US broadcast. The fact that TS was animated digitally was definitely a very good thing. Comparatively, I've been watch Beverly Hills Teens from the 80's, which came from a tape source, and the degradation in quality is often pretty bad!

There is some aliasing around sharp edges during significant camera pans, but it doesn't happen often, so no big deal. I think TS was obviously animated in higher than 480p. The detail and sharpness is very good, which suggests it was down scaled from something higher.

I also like the fact they used real multi-DVD cases with "pages" inside instead of stacking the discs or whatever else most studios due to cartoon releases to treat them like dirt. So I'm very impressed with the work that was done on this set. It wasn't fucked up! They did a good job. I'll probably buy another copy for safe keeping even.

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Nov 7 2013, 10:17 AM
Post #47

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (_ @ Nov 7 2013, 03:58 AM) *
QUOTE (Syxx @ Nov 7 2013, 10:51 AM) *
They did a good job. I'll probably buy another copy for safe keeping even.

Same here, i have most of my TS items twice for backup purposes lol. What about sound quality? Do S3 episodes have their special outro interviews?

Sound quality seemed comparable to previous DVD releases. Someone else would have to take a look at that to determine if there's a difference.

I haven't put in a Season 3 DVD yet, but my guess would be yes.

+Quote Post
Mezoroth
post Nov 7 2013, 09:53 PM
Post #48

Group Icon

Favorite Character:

This reminds me. I should order these. Though I was put off by the warning about season 3 sound being goofed, it looks like it might actually be alright.
I'll wait until Syxx checks his first.

But yeah, damn (not)Lolis distracting me from a huge goal in TS fandom.

GOT IT COACH
Retsupurae

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Nov 8 2013, 11:29 AM
Post #49

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

OK, I watched Evil Coffee Shop Much from the first disc of the Season 3 DVDs. There's absolutely no sound problems. So that's total bunk. Picture quality also remained high. It's a bit darker than the Season 1 episode I watched, but I think that's the way it's supposed to look. They definitely used a lot more shadows and stuff in this episode than previous seasons. Also the slight aliasing in significant camera pan shots is gone, which obviously indicates the improvements in the animation quality in Season 3.

As for things missing from the US broadcast, there was a new commercial break eye catch I had never seen before or at least don't remember. It's cutesy art of them dressed in street clothes we have seen elsewhere before. The TS symbol that scrolls across the screen to reveal location text is also pink and not silver like in CN's version.

The after episode interviews are intact. This one involved Clover talking about how she wanted to be nice to Mandy and tell her about her hair and clothing problems on the mission but didn't, but she'll try harder next time. Pretty interesting. You could even interpret that as subtexty if you wanted to. XD

+Quote Post
T C
post Nov 8 2013, 07:26 PM
Post #50

Lackey

Member No.: 568
Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Syxx @ Nov 8 2013, 03:29 AM) *
OK, I watched Evil Coffee Shop Much from the first disc of the Season 3 DVDs. There's absolutely no sound problems. So that's total bunk.

The person who mentioned it is probably just used to hearing the PAL converted audio then. It makes sense since the dub is recorded in Canada, so if they were working with NTSC footage and duration, the audio would be higher pitched in the PAL version of the DVDs and broadcasts. I get the complete opposite reaction when I watch PAL DVDs of US shows, I think everyone sounds like chipmunks LOL

+Quote Post
Mezoroth
post Nov 9 2013, 04:39 AM
Post #51

Group Icon

Favorite Character:

Welp. Guess I'm sold.

GOT IT COACH
Retsupurae

+Quote Post
akumashogun
post Dec 2 2013, 06:43 AM
Post #52

Loser

Member No.: 638
Favorite Character:

Hi, I asked this on the WOOHP forum, but I thought I'd try here too.

I purchased the Seasons 1 - 3 box set through Amazon. On first and third discs of season 2 the audio suddenly just vanished in the last minute on the last episode of each disc ('Green with N.V.' and 'The Elevator').

No problems found on the first season discs. Haven't watched the third season yet.

I'm wondering if it's a problem effecting other copies, or if I just managed to get a flawed one.
I'm wondering if it also effects the individual volumes.

I've also tried contacting New Video about replacements, but so far no response.

Anyone else have this happen?

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Dec 2 2013, 03:54 PM
Post #53

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (akumashogun @ Dec 2 2013, 12:43 AM) *
Hi, I asked this on the WOOHP forum, but I thought I'd try here too.

I purchased the Seasons 1 - 3 box set through Amazon. On first and third discs of season 2 the audio suddenly just vanished in the last minute on the last episode of each disc ('Green with N.V.' and 'The Elevator').

No problems found on the first season discs. Haven't watched the third season yet.

I'm wondering if it's a problem effecting other copies, or if I just managed to get a flawed one.
I'm wondering if it also effects the individual volumes.

I've also tried contacting New Video about replacements, but so far no response.

Anyone else have this happen?

I'll check mine in a little bit. Getting a replacement from Amazon should be really easy. Just make sure to mark it as the box having been damaged in transit so you won't have to pay the shipping costs. We haven't heard this specific complain from anyone else. Another possibility is that it's your DVD player. Have you tried multiple players?

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Dec 3 2013, 03:35 AM
Post #54

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

Okay, so I just checked Green with N.V. and the audio drops out like you said. x__X It was only several seconds I think before the credits, but still annoying. This is disappointing considering the this set was so close to being perfect. Hopefully, they do replacement discs.

+Quote Post
akumashogun
post Dec 3 2013, 02:53 PM
Post #55

Loser

Favorite Character:

I tried different players, but got the same thing.

Sadly, I think this is an issue that effects every copy.

Like I said, I tried contacting New Video twice, but they haven't responded.

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Dec 3 2013, 04:08 PM
Post #56

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (akumashogun @ Dec 3 2013, 08:53 AM) *
I tried different players, but got the same thing.

Sadly, I think this is an issue that effects every copy.

Like I said, I tried contacting New Video twice, but they haven't responded.

How long ago did you mail them? Sometimes it takes a week or two for them to reply to that kind of stuff.

+Quote Post
akumashogun
post Dec 8 2013, 04:07 AM
Post #57

Loser

Favorite Character:

I contacted them the week before Thanksgiving. Still nothing so far.

In better news, no problems with the first disc of season 3.

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Dec 9 2013, 06:07 AM
Post #58

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (akumashogun @ Dec 7 2013, 10:07 PM) *
I contacted them the week before Thanksgiving. Still nothing so far.

In better news, no problems with the first disc of season 3.

Well, sometimes it takes like a month to get correspondence back. Hopefully, something happens. If not, I suggest tracking down a phone number to harass them that way.

+Quote Post
Pira
post Dec 24 2013, 05:48 AM
Post #59

Loser

Member No.: 648
Favorite Character:

Hey there! Kind of new to the forum, but been aware of this place for years now. I actually created an account just so I can ask this question:

Does anyone have any actual pictures of the Season 1 - 3 set? As much as I'm interested in the set, I'm wondering just how does the covers look like. I REALLY like the covers of the individual sets and the last Shout Factory set I got (for Home Movies) were all slimdisks.

Maybe I've just been too used to how ADV does their sets (and that's been YEARS ago so you know how recent my DVD watching is XD) but I just want to confirm the quality. I know at least with the Power Rangers sets the main difference was that it came with a box and an additional set of extras, and I am aware there's no extras in these sets, so just want to know.

This is both for case and wondering is it worth it, as it's WAY cheaper to buy the individual dvds right now than to buy the complete set. And from what I've seen Season 3 is going to be released on it's own too.

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Dec 24 2013, 07:28 AM
Post #60

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Pira @ Dec 23 2013, 11:48 PM) *
Hey there! Kind of new to the forum, but been aware of this place for years now. I actually created an account just so I can ask this question:

Does anyone have any actual pictures of the Season 1 - 3 set? As much as I'm interested in the set, I'm wondering just how does the covers look like. I REALLY like the covers of the individual sets and the last Shout Factory set I got (for Home Movies) were all slimdisks.

Maybe I've just been too used to how ADV does their sets (and that's been YEARS ago so you know how recent my DVD watching is XD) but I just want to confirm the quality. I know at least with the Power Rangers sets the main difference was that it came with a box and an additional set of extras, and I am aware there's no extras in these sets, so just want to know.

This is both for case and wondering is it worth it, as it's WAY cheaper to buy the individual dvds right now than to buy the complete set. And from what I've seen Season 3 is going to be released on it's own too.

Hi, Pira! Thanks for signing up! Welcome to the forum!

As for the box, I took this pic a few weeks ago:

Attached Image

So there's three cases inside with different cover art, one for each season. The cover art for Season 3 is the same as the one for "Rank: Super Spies!" Season 1 and 2 use different art than what is shown for the individual Season 1 and 2 sets on Amazon, but I think they still look good.

The cases aren't the slim ones, but I like them a lot. It's very easy to get the discs in and out. None of that Scanavo death-grip business if you're familiar with other anime DVD releases. Plastic is also of a good quality, so I'm definitely pleased with them.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2018 - 04:14 AM
Skin by Andrea

TSUG.net is a fan made website created in appreciation of Totally Spies. TSUG.net is not affiliated with the owners or creators of Totally Spies or its characters and settings. Totally Spies is owned by Marathon Animation Inc. This website was created just for informational purposes and for fun. This website has not been profited from in any way.