IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who Is Your Favorite of the Three Main Spies?
Who Is Your Favorite of the Three Main Spies?
Who Is Your Favorite of the Three Main Spies?
Alex [ 4 ] ** [25.00%]
Clover [ 7 ] ** [43.75%]
Sam [ 5 ] ** [31.25%]
Not Sure [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 16
Guests cannot vote 
Ryofu
post Mar 20 2011, 01:50 AM
Post #1

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Game: Senran Kagura

Well, we already have the favorite character thread. However, I thought it would be interesting to have another discussion but limit it to just Alex, Clover, and Sam. That way people who like Mandy, Britney, villains, and other characters can have some input on the three main spy gals as well.

For me, originally, my favorite was Alex. Her sweet and pretty clueless personality is very adorable. She is also extremely attractive. Definitely had a big cartoon-crush on her at some point. I like the fact that she's Latina, but the writers don't beat us over the head with her ethnic herritage. Not that referencing it would be bad, but she seems a lot more real than many ethnic characters do in other cartoons.

Alex's position as number one though was eclipsed by Sam. This of course started right after I started shipping Samandy (a61.gif heart1.gif a62.gif). Personally, I feel Sam is easily the best looking and sexiest of the three spies by a mile. I also like how she's the smartest of the three, the most strategic, and interested in things like acquiring knolwedge and activism. It gives her a good contrast from the the air-headed Alex and very shallow Clover. However, she is obviously very sweet and loves her friends very much. I think she is probably one of the deepest characters in the show.

Lastly, there is Clover. I used to kind of despise Clover, but she has grown on me more recently. I just kind of like how bad of a person she is and that she doesn't care about it at all. She's very much like Mandy. She's shallow, arrogant, self-centered, and greedy. However, unlike Mandy, she seems to be in complete denial. She also has one of the most rampant sex drives of any character I've ever seen and goes through boys like candy. All of these add together to make her very interesting and entertaining. I also like how her character is very un-PC. You would certainly never see someone like Kim Possible or any other female main character from this kind of cartoon act as ridiculous as Clover does. I give the writers plenty of points for that.

And of course, Totally Spies wouldn't be Totally Spies without the chemistry that exists between Alex, Clover, and Sam. I've really never seen a cartoon with such great chemistry between three female characters like that before. It really makes this show special.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NinjaNick101
post Mar 20 2011, 05:53 AM
Post #2

Ninja
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 198
Favorite Character:

I'm going to go with Alex. She's cute and attractive, yes. Sam is a not-so-distant second. She's smart and the best team player overall.

+Quote Post
KodeBreaker
post Mar 20 2011, 05:59 AM
Post #3

We cry lethean tears
Group Icon

Group: Uber Mod
Member No.: 8
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Clover/Britney
Favorite Anime: Hellsing Ultimate
Favorite Manga: Dimension W
Favorite Book: Mr. Mercedes
Favorite Musician(s): KoRn
Favorite Album: The Serenity of Suffering

I used to have a crush on Alex, a while back, but Clover's far in front right now, and she's been my fav for a long while. a60.gif

I never really felt anything much for Sam, sadly. :/

Can't we just be selfish for one more day...

+Quote Post
Kira Yamato
post Mar 20 2011, 03:27 PM
Post #4

TSUG's Mysterious Bishounen Hot Teacher
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 11
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Any kind of yuri pair...
Favorite Anime: My current list forms a divergent series...
Favorite Manga: I'm just too lazy to list them all...
Favorite Movie: The Lord of the Rings
Favorite Book: Sein und Zeit, Metaphysik, Summa Theologiae
Favorite Musician(s): Kishida Kyoudan, Saiori Hayami, Momoiro Clover Z
Favorite Album: Endo Yurika's FINAL LIVE - Emotional Daybreak
Favorite Game: Azur Lane, Kancolle, and Girls Frontline

My vote obviously goes to Sam. In fact, she was the responsible for introducing me in the TS universe. She is just a very complex and interesting character. Sam is not only smart and pretty (Nerds Are Sexy) but also manipulative and seductive. I would say that she is an intesection between the Manipulative Bastard and The Strategist. Indeed she suits very well in the Guile Hero trope. Sam can play the role of The Stoic, sometimes. Interestingly enough Sam seems to be crazy good on Xanatos Speed Chess. She is able to modify the event in her favor in a brilliant way. In addition, I really have a thing for Redheaded Heroes.

Alex occupies the second spot. Her Cheerful Child behaviour turns her a pretty cute girl. As Syxx correctly noted, her Ambiguously Brown nature makes her very attractive. Alex seems to exhibit some Dojikko tendencies, a fact that turns her even more Moe. Her driving skills are pretty much a source of comedy as well (Drives Like Crazy).

Finally we have Clover. I will be frank... I never really liked Clover that much. Perhaps I did not pay much attention to her because she is pretty much The Mario. Actually Clover suits in the Love It Or Hate It trope. Indeed most members of her fandom hate Sam, and vice-versa.

Clover seems to be a Depraved Bisexual as well as a Lovable Sex Maniac; indeed she provides a wide set of possibilities for the fandom Fetish Fuel Station Attendant ?). In addition, she exhibits The Seductress and Tsundere (Type A) tendencies.

~~§§ Azur Lane §§~~

Latest Artbook & Doujin Reviews:

Fantasia Bunko Utopia
Hot Winter

+Quote Post
Stasis Muffin
post Mar 21 2011, 09:34 AM
Post #5

Spyssassin II
Group Icon

Member No.: 136
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Muffy x Stacy
Favorite Musician(s): Hannah Montana

Initially, Alex was my favorite. I really liked how goofy she was at times.

Then after the show came back on (I don't remember why or when) Clover quickly became my favorite. I LOVE her hair (funny thing, long before ever seeing Totally Spies, I made a sort of "mascot" character that I draw in various outfits, and her hair looks a lot like Clover's...!) I like her outgoing and fairly bossy personality, and I always liked her "valley girl"-ness. I've always had a habit of saying "like" and "whatever" too much, and I even picked up some other valley girl "slang" from her when I was watching the show a lot. I also like how she's certainly not what you'd expect from one of the main heroines of a "kid's" show. Having one of the main characters so obsessed with fashion is also rarely done, and I think it's interesting. I also enjoy how much she clashes with Mandy, but in reality it's their similarities that make them argue! I just think she's interesting.

For a brief time, Sam was my favorite. Green is one of my favorite colors, and I like how she's the most level headed and manages to be a "nerd" without really seeming nerdy at all.

But then, Clover was my favorite again. Has been ever since. And I just love her name. I can see the names Alex or Sam in other places without immediately thinking of them, but whenever I see the word Clover I immediately think of Clover.

"From the halls of gorgeous Pep House, sisters bond and share; we've got spirit, pep, and good taste, not to mention awesome hair!"

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Mar 25 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #6

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

Looks like it's currently a tie between Samd and Clover. Some how, this is usually what happens. XD

+Quote Post
NinjaNick101
post Mar 25 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #7

Ninja
Group Icon

Member No.: 198
Favorite Character:

And you almost typed Samandy. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Mar 25 2011, 10:52 PM
Post #8

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (NinjaNick101 @ Mar 25 2011, 05:31 PM) *
And you almost typed Samandy. tongue.gif

LOL. Obviously a freudian slip.

+Quote Post
CrowSama
post Mar 25 2011, 11:27 PM
Post #9

Love doesn't have to be scary...
Group Icon

Member No.: 75
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Suzuna/Nozomi
Favorite Anime: Naruto, Pokemon, Bakugan
Favorite Manga: Strawberry Panic!
Favorite Comic: Yu+Me= Dream
Favorite Movie: House Bunny, Mean Girls, The Simpsons Movie
Favorite Book: The Host by Stephanie Meyer
Favorite Musician(s): deadmau5
Favorite Game: Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure

There, Crow just broke the tie, mainly because I didn't realize that there was a poll here lmao

+Quote Post
GrandMasterGalva...
post Mar 26 2011, 09:20 AM
Post #10

This is the end for you!
Group Icon

Member No.: 13
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Britney X Me
Favorite Anime: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Favorite Comic: Sonic the Hedgehog/Sonic Universe
Favorite Game: Destiny

I came in and ninja voted for Clover. She's basically the high maintenance yet badass trope that I love so much (Sonia, Rarity, etc)

+Quote Post
SpyHunter29
post Mar 26 2011, 12:57 PM
Post #11

Lackey

Member No.: 119
Favorite Character:

Alex, cha! I've always had a thing for Ambiguously Brown (see, I can use wiki words too!) girls, going back to Nadia.

QUOTE (Catherine)
I have neither Catherine nor the boyfriend. The man of the favor is a person who likes DDR. The man with the tightened body is very sexy."

+Quote Post
MetroNorthMallRa...
post Mar 26 2011, 03:25 PM
Post #12

It's Britney bitch!
Group Icon

Member No.: 7
Favorite Character:
Favorite Musician(s): Britney Spears
Favorite Album: Femme Fatale

Easily Clover <3

Followed by a very distant Alex

And Sam is nowhere to be found xD

+Quote Post
KodeBreaker
post Mar 26 2011, 08:23 PM
Post #13

We cry lethean tears
Group Icon

Group: Uber Mod
Member No.: 8
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Clover/Britney
Favorite Anime: Hellsing Ultimate
Favorite Manga: Dimension W
Favorite Book: Mr. Mercedes
Favorite Musician(s): KoRn
Favorite Album: The Serenity of Suffering

Finally! Some justice! tongue.gif

j/k

Can't we just be selfish for one more day...

+Quote Post
ren shizu
post Mar 27 2011, 01:00 PM
Post #14

Spyssassin V
Group Icon

Member No.: 27
Favorite Character:

Sam will always be my favorite. She has been good role model to me..xD

Nothing is forever except death

+Quote Post
cloverfan
post May 31 2011, 10:16 PM
Post #15

Lackey

Member No.: 323
Favorite Character:

I obviously voted for Clover, she has always been my favourite, from the first time, I watched the show. I know some people would think she was shallow, self centred, and and a man eater, but when it comes to the crunch, she's a great team member. To be honest, I think if she was relplaced, the show would lose something special. clovergif.gif

+Quote Post
amysorel12
post Feb 22 2019, 08:40 AM
Post #16

Wannabe

Member No.: 1,027
Favorite Character:

Alex. Clover is kind of my second fav.

+Quote Post
Nextstopplease
post Feb 26 2019, 03:57 PM
Post #17

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,038
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Clover
Favorite Anime: K-ON!!
Favorite Movie: Studio Ghibli films, SPIDERVERSE
Favorite Book: Norwegian Wood
Favorite Game: Animal Crossing New Leaf

QUOTE (Ryofu @ Mar 20 2011, 02:50 AM) *
Well, we already have the favorite character thread. However, I thought it would be interesting to have another discussion but limit it to just Alex, Clover, and Sam. That way people who like Mandy, Britney, villains, and other characters can have some input on the three main spy gals as well.

For me, originally, my favorite was Alex. Her sweet and pretty clueless personality is very adorable. She is also extremely attractive. Definitely had a big cartoon-crush on her at some point. I like the fact that she's Latina, but the writers don't beat us over the head with her ethnic herritage. Not that referencing it would be bad, but she seems a lot more real than many ethnic characters do in other cartoons.

Alex's position as number one though was eclipsed by Sam. This of course started right after I started shipping Samandy (a61.gif heart1.gif a62.gif). Personally, I feel Sam is easily the best looking and sexiest of the three spies by a mile. I also like how she's the smartest of the three, the most strategic, and interested in things like acquiring knolwedge and activism. It gives her a good contrast from the the air-headed Alex and very shallow Clover. However, she is obviously very sweet and loves her friends very much. I think she is probably one of the deepest characters in the show.

Lastly, there is Clover. I used to kind of despise Clover, but she has grown on me more recently. I just kind of like how bad of a person she is and that she doesn't care about it at all. She's very much like Mandy. She's shallow, arrogant, self-centered, and greedy. However, unlike Mandy, she seems to be in complete denial. She also has one of the most rampant sex drives of any character I've ever seen and goes through boys like candy. All of these add together to make her very interesting and entertaining. I also like how her character is very un-PC. You would certainly never see someone like Kim Possible or any other female main character from this kind of cartoon act as ridiculous as Clover does. I give the writers plenty of points for that.

And of course, Totally Spies wouldn't be Totally Spies without the chemistry that exists between Alex, Clover, and Sam. I've really never seen a cartoon with such great chemistry between three female characters like that before. It really makes this show special.

Coming in first place is Sam! I totally had a crush on her when I watched the show as a kid (pretty much still do wink.gif ) The whole beautiful and smart redhead thing pretty much seals the deal for me! To me she’s like the leader of the group; focusing on the missions, figuring out the villian’s plan and getting the girls out of trouble. Beauty and brains - our Sammy has it all!

Then it’s a tie between Alex and Clover lol I absolutely LOVE Alex’s innocent and ditzy personality! She’s the sweetest airhead who cares deeply for her friends. When Sam and Clover are fighting, Alex is the one who has to remind them that they are friends! Cute, funny and clueless Alex biggrin.gif

Clover’s Bev Hills teenage girl personality is so OTT that it’s hilarious! I like how ridiculous she can be, her dramatic reactions and expressions really are entertaining (especially when she’s fighting with Mandy). But I also like how she can take initiative; when she’s serious, the girl means business! When it comes down to it, Clover will get the job done... that is after shopping, boys, manicures, being popular etc. ^^”

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Feb 26 2019, 07:17 PM
Post #18

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

Coming in first place is Sam! I totally had a crush on her when I watched the show as a kid (pretty much still do wink.gif ) The whole beautiful and smart redhead thing pretty much seals the deal for me! To me she’s like the leader of the group; focusing on the missions, figuring out the villian’s plan and getting the girls out of trouble. Beauty and brains - our Sammy has it all!

Then it’s a tie between Alex and Clover lol I absolutely LOVE Alex’s innocent and ditzy personality! She’s the sweetest airhead who cares deeply for her friends. When Sam and Clover are fighting, Alex is the one who has to remind them that they are friends! Cute, funny and clueless Alex biggrin.gif

Clover’s Bev Hills teenage girl personality is so OTT that it’s hilarious! I like how ridiculous she can be, her dramatic reactions and expressions really are entertaining (especially when she’s fighting with Mandy). But I also like how she can take initiative; when she’s serious, the girl means business! When it comes down to it, Clover will get the job done... that is after shopping, boys, manicures, being popular etc. ^^”

Well, it's easy to crush on Sam. She's so attractive. a09.gif Maybe the most attractive of the three possibly. She's more serious of course, but that's more than balanced out by Clover and Alex's irrelevance. Comparatively, Clover's negative traits like her selfishness is canceled out by Sam's sense of responsibility and Alex's kind hearted nature. Sam's intelligence is needed here as well. Clover isn't as ariheaded as Alex, but she's controlled by impulse instead of of logic. So Sam's logic is very important to bringing them all together. So they work together perfectly as a trio. xd If you wanted to boil it all down, I'd say Sam = the brain, Alex = the heart and Clover = the loin. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
hdc
post Feb 27 2019, 01:26 AM
Post #19

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,016
Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Nextstopplease @ Feb 26 2019, 08:57 AM) *
Coming in first place is Sam! I totally had a crush on her when I watched the show as a kid (pretty much still do wink.gif ) The whole beautiful and smart redhead thing pretty much seals the deal for me! To me she€™s like the leader of the group; focusing on the missions, figuring out the villian€™s plan and getting the girls out of trouble. Beauty and brains - our Sammy has it all!

Then it€™s a tie between Alex and Clover lol I absolutely LOVE Alex€™s innocent and ditzy personality! She€™s the sweetest airhead who cares deeply for her friends. When Sam and Clover are fighting, Alex is the one who has to remind them that they are friends! Cute, funny and clueless Alex biggrin.gif

Clover€™s Bev Hills teenage girl personality is so OTT that it€™s hilarious! I like how ridiculous she can be, her dramatic reactions and expressions really are entertaining (especially when she€™s fighting with Mandy). But I also like how she can take initiative; when she€™s serious, the girl means business! When it comes down to it, Clover will get the job done... that is after shopping, boys, manicures, being popular etc. ^^€

It's close to a tie between Sam and Clover for me. My first cartoon crush was Daphne from Scooby Doo, followed by April O'Neil from the 1987 TMNT series, so I definitely agree about redheads. I'm also a longtime fan of the female Shepard from Mass Effect who is voiced by Sam's voice actress and canonically a redhead. And I like Sam's luxuriously long mane of hair and how she occasionally likes to show it off, though it also looks good pinned up to show her neck.

I wish I remember how or when I decided Clover was my favorite. I think it's her voice and Valley Girl accent that do it for me. I tend to prefer redheads or brunettes to blondes, unless it's short blonde hair, so she just happens to hit that niche : ) It amuses me that she's reluctant to go on missions unless they involve shopping/modeling/acting/being around guys (and even then she thinks of the mission as being only tangential to those things) or when she asks if they can just go home now. As you say, though, she's willing enough to step up and take charge if Sam can't do it.

It is interesting they made Alex more (occasionally) ditzy than Clover given the stereotype about blondes. (Though Clover does have that great line in "Abductions" where she thinks Isaac Newton is a cookie designer.) Clover seems like the person who's smart enough but just won't apply herself because she sees no point (she does pay attention to her figure, which takes some discipline and self-restraint). Alex seems like the one with the biggest heart and the glue that holds the team together.

QUOTE (Ryofu @ Feb 26 2019, 12:17 PM) *
I'd say Sam = the brain, Alex = the heart and Clover = the loin. laugh.gif

Clover = the babymaker heart1.gif

+Quote Post
jettmanas
post Feb 27 2019, 04:14 AM
Post #20

Spy Chic V
Group Icon

Member No.: 901
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Alex & Martin Mystery
Favorite Anime: Persona 4
Favorite Manga: Nausicaa
Favorite Comic: Generation X (early issues)
Favorite Movie: Persona 3 movies (1-4)
Favorite Book: Animator's Survival Kit
Favorite Musician(s): Michiru Yamane (Skullgirls)
Favorite Album: Castle Crashers OST
Favorite Game: Jewelion (did the art/animation)

Loving the insights in this topic. Guess I missed posting in here til now.
It's almost too close to call.
All three are great due to the looks, personality, and six years (love how they age every year) as world-class heroines, constantly risking their lives for each other and the world.

Why Sam edges out the others for me is: less materialism than Clover, and higher intelligence than Alex.
But Clover and Alex are still amazing and both nearly equal to Sam imo.
The variety in looks and personality between them really is appealing.

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

My video game art/animation: http://www.tangerinepop.com/
However tough life gets, don't give up!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2019 - 03:41 PM
Skin by Andrea

TSUG.net is a fan made website created in appreciation of Totally Spies. TSUG.net is not affiliated with the owners or creators of Totally Spies or its characters and settings. Totally Spies is owned by Marathon Animation Inc. This website was created just for informational purposes and for fun. This website has not been profited from in any way.