Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Game: Senran Kagura

Recently came across some bootleged anime DVDs on eBay. They peaked my interest. Normally, I don't buy bootlegged anime. In fact, I probably already spent over $400 on licensed anime this year (which should last me a while). Still the selection for what is available isn't anywhere close to complete for anime titles, some companies charge a lot of money (I bought most of the titles I wanted on holiday sales because I'd barely get any if I paid MSRP), and some of the US licensees I don't buy from I don't like for other reasons.

Whatever the case, I thought it was at least worth trying out some bootlegged anime. I have a couple bootlegged releases from like eons ago I never watched (one for a black and white Cyborg 009 movie and one for Irresponsible Captain Tylor, can't remember if it's the TV series or OvA). Maybe I should look at those at some point, but I couldn't really help myself and bought these anyways.

I don't know how good these releases are, because I haven't received them yet. But this is what I bought:

Burn Up Excess (13 episode TV series DVD):

Attached Image

Attached Image

Bought this for only $12.96 with free shipping.

This show has been out of print in the US for a very long time and is impossible to get new. I liked Burn Up W, the precursor to this show, which was an over the top anime about sexy anime girl cops, so I don't know why I never bought it while it was available as a non-bootleg.

The good thing about this release is that it's two discs and it has the dub. So that's 6-7 episodes per disc. So I think the encode will hopefully look good. For comparison, the newer Totally Spies DVDs are 7 episodes per disc and look great. Also, the other benefit is if the subtitles are shit, I can just watch the dub instead.

Yuru Yuri (TV Season 1+2 1-24 episodes DVD + "Special Bonus"):

Attached Image

Attached Image

Bought this for only $11.52 with free shipping.

I've already seen Season 1 and 2 of Yuru Yuri, but I decided to buy this anyway. I'm much less confident about this release. It's two DVD-5 discs, and that means one 12 episode season per disc. So I'm going to guess picture quality is a crap shoot. It's also sub only of course which means I have to rely on how good the subs are. Hopefully, the (Malaysian I think) bootleggers didn't do their own subs and just pulled them from a somewhat competent fansub. So we'll see how that goes. I mainly bought this just for the hell of it even if I'm suspicious about the quality.

I don't know what the special bonus is, but I guess I'll find out. LOL.

I will reply again with my take on whether or not these were wroth the money. It was very little money, so I probably won't care that much. But I'm hoping they're good so I can justify buying more shows and bootlegged anime they have. If my experiences are good, I'm considering buying stuff like the entire run of Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura and Transformers (both US and Japanese episodes). They have complete sets available for those for almost nothing. Also might get some 90's anime like Iria, 8Man After, etc. They even have some 70's anime like Candy Candy.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Jan 23 2018, 03:12 AM
Post #2

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

Went ahead and just bought the bootlegged Iria release for $7.99, just because I wanted it and it may sell out soon. The listing didn't have a good photo, but these are the stats listed for it:

IRIA: Zeiram the Animation Language English or Japanes Episodes 1 to 6 Discs 1

Description:

Zeiram - the most dangerous life form in the galaxy. It's virtually unstoppable - perhaps even invulnerable. The Tedan Tippedai Corporation secretly attempted to import Zeiram to be used as the basis for a powerful new bio-weapon, and now it's loose. Iria, a ruthless young bounty hunter whose brother was butchered by Zeiram, uncovers this information while stalking the monster - evidence that certain parties would rather have silenced. Now Iria must expose the silent conspiracy before any more innocent people are massacred by the moster. With the aid of her young sidekick, Kei, and a mysterious benefactor, Iria will avenge her brother's death... only who is hunting whom?

Feature:

Language: English or Japanese
Subtitles: English (on/off)
Number of Discs: 1
Episodes 1-6 (Complete

Probably going to get Burn Up Excess tomorrow, so I'll find out if I wasted my money or not. lol

+Quote Post
jettmanas
post Jan 23 2018, 04:46 AM
Post #3

Spy Chic II
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 901
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Alex & Martin Mystery
Favorite Anime: Persona 4
Favorite Manga: Nausicaa
Favorite Comic: Generation X (early issues)
Favorite Movie: Persona 3 movies (1-4)
Favorite Book: Animator's Survival Kit
Favorite Musician(s): Michiru Yamane (Skullgirls)
Favorite Album: Castle Crashers OST
Favorite Game: Jewelion (did the art/animation)

Hm, quite a story. It can be tough when you're looking for something very rare and there seems to be no way to find it!

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

My video game art/animation: http://www.tangerinepop.com/
However tough life gets, don't give up!

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Jan 23 2018, 09:52 PM
Post #4

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Ryofu @ Jan 20 2018, 01:14 PM) *
Burn Up Excess (13 episode TV series DVD):

Attached Image

Attached Image

Bought this for only $12.96 with free shipping.

This show has been out of print in the US for a very long time and is impossible to get new. I liked Burn Up W, the precursor to this show, which was an over the top anime about sexy anime girl cops, so I don't know why I never bought it while it was available as a non-bootleg.

The good thing about this release is that it's two discs and it has the dub. So that's 6-7 episodes per disc. So I think the encode will hopefully look good. For comparison, the newer Totally Spies DVDs are 7 episodes per disc and look great. Also, the other benefit is if the subtitles are shit, I can just watch the dub instead.

So I got this one today. I really had high expectations for this release. The box it came in was super nice, the two discs looked super good as well, professional quality even with shiny text on top of the disc background. Unfortunately, for some reason I can not comprehend, they took this 13 episode TV series and shoved 9 episodes on disc one of a two DVD set. So the encode on the episodes I looked at is obviously bad and there's like an extra layer of noise that shouldn't be there like a second film grain. Insanely, Disc 1 also includes extras with textless opening and endings with far better encodes that look really good compared to the actual full episodes on the disc. Obviously, the source for the disc was good (possibly the old US DVDs), but front loading this show on disc one like it was a Blu-ray set messed it up. So yeah, this is pretty frustrating.

I have yet to look at disc 2 which includes 4 episodes, but even if those have good encodes, I'm not happy 9 episodes look like that. It's disappointing since everything else appears good including the dual audio and subtitles. The DVD menu is kind of dinky and looks like one from Windows DVD maker or something, but I wouldn't care about that if the episodes were encoded well, and they could have been if the did 7 episodes on disc 1 and 6 episodes on disc 2. I'll probably end up watching this at some point anyways, but yeah it may go to the back of my backlog for now since I have plenty of anime Blu-rays and non-bootlegged DVDs to watch first.

So I have two bootlgged releases I bought yet to come. Iria is from the same ebay account as Burn Up Excess, but it is six episodes, so hopefully they encode the DVD normally and it looks good. I'm really hoping they don't screw this up. I don't know how they could. I do know Yuru Yuri will look jacked up, but I bought that knowing that anyways.

Overall, while I wait to see what the others look like, not going to invest in more probably bootlegged Malaysian (I think) anime DVDs. I'll try again when they finally get around to releasing Blu-rays, which have so much space its hard to mess up encodes. Don't know why they aren't doing that already. If I ever buy a bootlegged DVD again, it will have to be something short I guess since I can't trust them not to try to shove a gazillion episodes on one disc.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th June 2018 - 12:27 AM
Skin by Andrea

TSUG.net is a fan made website created in appreciation of Totally Spies. TSUG.net is not affiliated with the owners or creators of Totally Spies or its characters and settings. Totally Spies is owned by Marathon Animation Inc. This website was created just for informational purposes and for fun. This website has not been profited from in any way.