Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Manga: Hayate X Blade
Favorite Movie: Tenebre
Favorite Musician(s): Goblin

Thought this would be a good thread to start in addition to the anime thread. Just reply with the manga you are currently reading.

I've recently started reading Excel Saga!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
brassair
post Nov 30 2014, 11:43 PM
Post #2

Wannabe

Group: Members
Member No.: 660
Favorite Character:

I'm rereading Saikano and I'm planning to start on Say I Love You, that I picked up at comicon in October.

+Quote Post
TB74
post Dec 2 2014, 04:46 AM
Post #3

Queen Bee
Group Icon

Member No.: 380
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Me + Kugimiya Rie :)
Favorite Anime: Maria-Sama ga Miteru
Favorite Comic: Philemon
Favorite Movie: The Big Lebowski
Favorite Book: The Complete Works of Howard Philips Lovecraft
Favorite Musician(s): Kalafina
Favorite Game: Sunless Sea

Not watching any anime, right now. Too busy with the semester final exams... However, I started reading the original japanese version of the Utena manga.

I'm slowly translating each page as I go, which is very slow since my japanese isn't very advance to say the least. Add in the fact that many manga change some words to give the characters a non formal tone, and there you go: you got yourself a 2 pages a week read. laugh.gif

Thankfully, all the kanji are also in hiragana so I can search for them in my dictionary or use online resources to find the proper translation. I had to buy a special magnifying glass just to read those small hiragana, however. ohmy.gif

I'm in the middle of page 5 right now. I'm going slow-turtle-on-tranquillizers-speed, but I hope I can finish Vol.1 before spring. dork.gif

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Dec 2 2014, 06:32 AM
Post #4

Straight from the Underground
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (TB74 @ Dec 1 2014, 10:46 PM) *
Not watching any anime, right now. Too busy with the semester final exams... However, I started reading the original japanese version of the Utena manga.

I'm slowly translating each page as I go, which is very slow since my japanese isn't very advance to say the least. Add in the fact that many manga change some words to give the characters a non formal tone, and there you go: you got yourself a 2 pages a week read. laugh.gif

Thankfully, all the kanji are also in hiragana so I can search for them in my dictionary or use online resources to find the proper translation. I had to buy a special magnifying glass just to read those small hiragana, however. ohmy.gif

I'm in the middle of page 5 right now. I'm going slow-turtle-on-tranquillizers-speed, but I hope I can finish Vol.1 before spring. dork.gif

There's already an English translation. Unless you actually bought the tankobon and want to read it from that.

+Quote Post
ren shizu
post Dec 4 2014, 03:09 PM
Post #5

Spyssassin V
Group Icon

Member No.: 27
Favorite Character:

QUOTE (TB74 @ Dec 2 2014, 12:46 PM) *

You'll get used to it! I have some that doesn't have hiragana in it. D: I ain't a master of Kanji yet so makes reading difficult. You'll definitely get lots of non-formal japanese in a manga which sounds better than formal ones in my opinion. whistle.gif とにかくがんばってね!

As for me, I read Makai Ouji, Kuroshitsuji, Ao no Exorcist, Watashi ga Motete Dousunda and Suki Desu Suzuki-kun! smile.gif I love manga more than anime actually. This is gonna be an interesting thread for me. wub.gif

Nothing is forever except death

+Quote Post
TB74
post Dec 5 2014, 01:54 AM
Post #6

Queen Bee
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Syxx @ Dec 2 2014, 01:32 AM) *
There's already an English translation. Unless you actually bought the tankobon and want to read it from that.

Well, I bought the original version to improve my (basic) japanese skills. So for that purpose, an English (or French) version would be useless to me, as it would allow me to "cheat"... LOL. wink.gif

I may eventually buy a French or English version to evaluate the quality of my work later on, though.

While I like the manga, I don't think I'll be able to fully enjoy it until I'm at least half-way through my Japanese classes. Right now, I fully understand about 5% of what's in there. Hopefully I'll be able to reach about 15% when I'm done with next semester's Elementary Japanese II, but I'm not sure how far this class will bring me... I'm only done with the first of six classes growing in difficulty, after all. unsure.gif

Bottom line, I don't have enough vocabulary to understand this manga properly yet. Just because I can read hiragana and katakana (and some kanjis) doesn't mean I can read japanese. But reading such material helps me in acquiring new vocabulary. And that's a lot of fun, if rather a slow process.

And since Utena is my favorite anime of all time (ex aequo with Marimite), it's also a nice addition to my (small) collection. smile.gif

Next manga I'll buy will probably be the Japanese version of Miyazaki's Nausicaš. I bet it's worth it just for the images!

+Quote Post
TB74
post Dec 5 2014, 02:32 AM
Post #7

Queen Bee
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (ren shizu @ Dec 4 2014, 10:09 AM) *
You'll get used to it! I have some that doesn't have hiragana in it. D: I ain't a master of Kanji yet so makes reading difficult. You'll definitely get lots of non-formal japanese in a manga which sounds better than formal ones in my opinion. whistle.gif とにかくがんばってね!

I hope you're right, Ren-chan!

At this point, I lack in vocabulary, but also in understanding syntax... and grammar. laugh.gif

Stuff like ウタナさんっ is pretty easy to translate. The additional っ is easy to figure out, here: "Missss Utena!"

However, a lot of this manga is still a mystery to me... blink.gif

QUOTE (ren shizu @ Dec 4 2014, 10:09 AM) *
As for me, I read Makai Ouji, Kuroshitsuji, Ao no Exorcist, Watashi ga Motete Dousunda and Suki Desu Suzuki-kun! smile.gif I love manga more than anime actually. This is gonna be an interesting thread for me. wub.gif

Well, I see you read a few works in Japanese already! I guess it's no surprise since you like manga so much.

I'm more a fan of anime than manga... but maybe by the time I can read Japanese more fluently, I'll enjoy manga much more.

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Jun 14 2015, 02:37 AM
Post #8

Straight from the Underground
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

Discussion of this topic will continue in this new thread:

http://tsug.net/index.php?showtopic=2446

*locked*

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 10:11 AM
Skin by Andrea

TSUG.net is a fan made website created in appreciation of Totally Spies. TSUG.net is not affiliated with the owners or creators of Totally Spies or its characters and settings. Totally Spies is owned by Marathon Animation Inc. This website was created just for informational purposes and for fun. This website has not been profited from in any way.