IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [EVERYONE READ] Important Site News: We are starting over with new software.
Ryofu
post Nov 16 2019, 09:46 PM
Post #1

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Game: Senran Kagura

Several days ago I tested upgrading from PHP 5.6 to PHP 7.2 on the website. The update took the entire site offline. I was able to have the update rolled back to 5.6 to bring it back. Unfortunately, due to PHP abandoning support of previous versions, TSUG's host will have a mandatory 7.2 upgrade in December. Exactly when I'm not sure, but I was told I would receive e-mail notices 30 and 20 days out which I have supposedly not received yet.

I don't want to get into specifics right now about this, but the current board software installed predates 2009 (the software version may actually be from 2007). Updating it would be very difficult or create specific problems for reasons I again don't want to discuss right now. While it would be conceivable to have someone who knows PHP update the software as is to be compliant I have made the decision to start over from scratch with opensource MyBB forum software which is as good or better than commercial choices and continues to be updated.

Due to the age of the software, migrating the posts and thread content to the new board software as is would likely fail. So I'm not going to try. There is a second reason I'm doing this though, I'm sick of the old posts being here and have wanted to get rid of them for a while which I started anyways about 2 years ago. I was going to do a fresh start back 2 to 3 years ago, but only decided not to due the fact that Kira Yamato had uploaded a very large amount of anime/dojinshi content to the website and I felt bad about wiping it out. But my hand was forced this time pretty much. I don't want to continue using outdated 2007 software in 2019. There's many good reasons not to do that such as security flaws.

So the bad news here is that the posts and thread attachments will be gone. Users will have to sign back up and repost their content if they want to preserve it. I might copy/paste certain threads, but it won't be a lot. The only thread content I backed up so far has been fanfiction although I probably won't repost that since its other people's posts.

Here's the good news:

1. The forum will be better technically and aesthetically from using new board software.

2. We will have new Mandy and Britney forum themes that I think look better.

3. I will be able to preserve all the arcade games due to a very similar arcade add-on being available for the new board software. You can get your high scores back by playing the games again. Bad news for this is Firefox will stop supporting Flash in 2020 (the games are flash based), but I'll deal with work arounds for that when we cross that bridge. I like the games, and I'm keeping them period.

4. I should be able to preserve most of the gallery content as well for the same reason. I will probably not re-upload most offtopic gallery pieces for users unless I choose to do otherwise.

5. I will be able to upgrade the software normally through MyBB updates. We will no longer be stuck in the past in regards to software.

6. I won't have to start the forum over again for that reason. We had to start over twice now due to software issues (the first was due to the ridiculous policies of the now defunct Zetaboards, which gave no rights to board owners), but this will never happen again after this switch.

8. PHP 7.2 supposedly runs faster, so there may be more benefits from that.

8. Board may work better with mobile devices. If not, I can add mobile-focused themes in the future. The current version of the board software was written before mobile even existed.

Right now I've been working on the new website. I'm close to finishing the new Mandy and Britney skins, which I like a lot, and I'm working on migrating the arcade. I will start on re-building the gallery after the arcade is finished.

I haven't received the e-mails yet about the mandatory upgrades, but if I finish the site before then I may want to launch earlier than that if most active users are ready for it.

So yeah, I wanted to give people a good warning here about this. If you have stuff here you want to keep, please try backing it up now. I don't know how I'll be able to back up much after the upgrade. For one, the attachments are named with numbers so it would be very difficult to identify them individually once the board software stops working, so save what you want to keep now.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BradleyEX
post Nov 16 2019, 11:45 PM
Post #2

Lackey

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,044
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Alex and Britney
Favorite Anime: Nana, Evangelion and Gintama
Favorite Manga: One Piece and Goodnight Punpun
Favorite Comic: Scott Pilgrim
Favorite Movie: Joker, Anything by Satoshi Kon

It’s a shame to see a lot of this content that was built for years to get turned to dust, but maybe it should be for the best.

Even though I’ve only been a member on the site for a few months, I’m glad to have found a site like this tbh, since a lot of people here have a much better understanding of TS than on most other social media avenues do.

And i also love your sheer dedication towards the site, and TS in general. You are clearly someone who is passionate and knows their shit when it comes to this series.

It’s great to see that we can go into a new decade, with a fresh new site to accommodate it. I’ll be sure to keep supporting you every step of the way.

+Quote Post
stephdumas
post Nov 17 2019, 02:16 PM
Post #3

Spy Chic VI
Group Icon

Member No.: 10
Favorite Character:

I don't know if it could work, but maybe we could use the Wayback Machine http://web.archive.org and/or Archive.today http://archive.today to archive more of the posts of the forum like in this example.
https://web.archive.org/web/20191117141541/...dex.php?act=idx

+Quote Post
hdc
post Nov 17 2019, 05:39 PM
Post #4

Spy Chic II
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,016
Favorite Character:

QUOTE (stephdumas @ Nov 17 2019, 06:16 AM) *
I don't know if it could work, but maybe we could use the Wayback Machine http://web.archive.org and/or Archive.today http://archive.today to archive more of the posts of the forum like in this example.

We could also point http://archive.is/ to it.

The downside with both these is they can only see the public content (which is for the best IMO).

I'll repost the TS comics of course.

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Nov 17 2019, 08:46 PM
Post #5

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (hdc @ Nov 17 2019, 11:39 AM) *
QUOTE (stephdumas @ Nov 17 2019, 06:16 AM) *

We could also point http://archive.is/ to it.

The downside with both these is they can only see the public content (which is for the best IMO).

I'll repost the TS comics of course.

I really don't want to have the old site archived like that. Like at all. lol I'd rather have the threads remade with new posts and new insights. Keep in mind we started over once before. Sure the forum wasn't around as long as this version, but there was a lot of thread content since the original board was popular. We can do it again

Also I'll still be able to dig up old stuff after the update if people want. I'm probably not going to junk it all right away. I can do requests to dig up stuff. It would be difficult but not impossible.

If you have any other ideas for preserving content, I'm willing to listen to them, but I don't like this one. I'm sorry.

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Nov 19 2019, 10:34 PM
Post #6

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

I guess I'll post updates on here instead of in the shoutbox since no one will read them there.

Looks like the gallery will be a delayed feature. The free gallery software that I thought would be adequate really isn't and is missing a bunch of features we need to replicate the gallery here such as subcategories and member created galleries. There is a "Pro" version that has those features but costs money (but amazingly still a decent amount less than what Invision charges). I'd be willing to pay for it, but not until after I pay for a bunch of other stuff including the hosting and domain renewal which is coming up at the end of next month.

I'm going to look for an alternative solution, but the best choice may just be to backup everything in the gallery and do the new gallery launch afterwards in January. So we may end up launching without a gallery for a while.

Really sorry about the fanart contest being delayed again. Maybe I'll start another fanart contest after launch for those that want to draw new stuff, but I'm not forgetting about the current one.

+Quote Post
jettmanas
post Nov 20 2019, 03:03 AM
Post #7

Spy Chic VI
Group Icon

Member No.: 901
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Alex & Martin Mystery
Favorite Anime: Persona 4
Favorite Manga: Nausicaa
Favorite Comic: Generation X (early issues)
Favorite Movie: Persona 3 movies (1-4)
Favorite Book: Animator's Survival Kit
Favorite Musician(s): Michiru Yamane (Skullgirls)
Favorite Album: Castle Crashers OST
Favorite Game: Jewelion (did the art/animation)

QUOTE (Ryofu @ Nov 19 2019, 03:34 PM) *
I guess I'll post updates on here instead of in the shoutbox since no one will read them there.

Looks like the gallery will be a delayed feature. The free gallery software that I thought would be adequate really isn't and is missing a bunch of features we need to replicate the gallery here such as subcategories and member created galleries. There is a "Pro" version that has those features but costs money (but amazingly still a decent amount less than what Invision charges). I'd be willing to pay for it, but not until after I pay for a bunch of other stuff including the hosting and domain renewal which is coming up at the end of next month.

I'm going to look for an alternative solution, but the best choice may just be to backup everything in the gallery and do the new gallery launch afterwards in January. So we may end up launching without a gallery for a while.

Really sorry about the fanart contest being delayed again. Maybe I'll start another fanart contest after launch for those that want to draw new stuff, but I'm not forgetting about the current one.

Thanks for the info, and all the work!

Also appreciate that the contest isn't forgotten.
A deadline may help- maybe by the end of the year? Should motivate people who didn't make/finish the art thus far.
Half a year total for one piece of art should suffice. wink.gif

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

My video game art/animation: http://www.tangerinepop.com/
However tough life gets, don't give up!

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Nov 20 2019, 03:32 AM
Post #8

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (jettmanas @ Nov 19 2019, 09:03 PM) *

You're welcome.

A deadline may help- maybe by the end of the year? Should motivate people who didn't make/finish the art thus far.

That's not going to happen because I have to focus everything on rebuilding the website. You read through the OP, right? We have to start over with completely new threads due to an enforced PHP upgrade deadline, so worrying about completing a contest is going to not make sense until the new site is launched and said new posts on the subject will no longer vanish into the ether. Also won't finish the contest completely until the new gallery is launched, which as I mentioned will be delayed past the initial launch and into next year. But after people have registered at the new forum we can talk about deadlines and voting.

+Quote Post
Stasis Muffin
post Nov 20 2019, 12:53 PM
Post #9

Spyssassin II
Group Icon

Member No.: 136
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Muffy x Stacy
Favorite Musician(s): Hannah Montana

I started on this forum, so I'm a little sad to see it go. I posted quite a bit of stuff here, years ago, not so much recently. I have all my pictures saved on my computer still, so that's no problem. I'll be sad to see our PMs go, there's a lot there, lol. Now that I think about it, my RPG thread in my signature (extremely outdated) and my PMs to you about it have some information that I thought up on the spot, so I need to archive that information I guess.

I've actually been here since July 21, 2010 (which I don't believe, like, there's no way that's true, lol) and I haven't once changed my avatar. I shouldn't since it's Muffy, but it's such a blurry picture, lol. This is the perfect opportunity to change things up a little I guess.

"From the halls of gorgeous Pep House, sisters bond and share; we've got spirit, pep, and good taste, not to mention awesome hair!"

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Nov 23 2019, 12:42 AM
Post #10

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Stasis Muffin @ Nov 20 2019, 06:53 AM) *
I started on this forum, so I'm a little sad to see it go. I posted quite a bit of stuff here, years ago, not so much recently. I have all my pictures saved on my computer still, so that's no problem. I'll be sad to see our PMs go, there's a lot there, lol. Now that I think about it, my RPG thread in my signature (extremely outdated) and my PMs to you about it have some information that I thought up on the spot, so I need to archive that information I guess.

I've actually been here since July 21, 2010 (which I don't believe, like, there's no way that's true, lol) and I haven't once changed my avatar. I shouldn't since it's Muffy, but it's such a blurry picture, lol. This is the perfect opportunity to change things up a little I guess.

After reading this, I agree with you about all of that especially our PMs. lol I think I'm going to try to preserve some kind of archive for a while, but it would only be available to to a small number of people (say only people I send the link to who were recently active members with over 40 posts) so you can go back over that stuff and save it if you want. Overall, I think it's best to move on to the new software for new posting so we'll still be doing that regardless.

+Quote Post
jettmanas
post Nov 25 2019, 05:09 AM
Post #11

Spy Chic VI
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Ryofu @ Nov 19 2019, 07:32 PM) *

You're welcome.

That's not going to happen because I have to focus everything on rebuilding the website. You read through the OP, right? We have to start over with completely new threads due to an enforced PHP upgrade deadline, so worrying about completing a contest is going to not make sense until the new site is launched and said new posts on the subject will no longer vanish into the ether. Also won't finish the contest completely until the new gallery is launched, which as I mentioned will be delayed past the initial launch and into next year. But after people have registered at the new forum we can talk about deadlines and voting.

Oh, interesting; yep, read the OP. Never saw a website go through that.

Guess the timing was funny. Too bad people didn't do their art before all this, given the many months. Oh well.
I suppose many vanish from the site for a while. I did that for a few days, but find I keep coming back, like for this topic. mellow.gif

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

+Quote Post
Stasis Muffin
post Nov 25 2019, 12:52 PM
Post #12

Spyssassin II
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

I just remembered you made the Ship Generator, you are going to bring that over, right?

I just did one and got z08.png x z02.png

"From the halls of gorgeous Pep House, sisters bond and share; we've got spirit, pep, and good taste, not to mention awesome hair!"

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Nov 25 2019, 01:14 PM
Post #13

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (jettmanas @ Nov 24 2019, 11:09 PM) *
Oh, interesting; yep, read the OP. Never saw a website go through that.

It's because it's the first time it's happening ever. Know all those forums and websites you went to 5-15 years ago that never really upgraded their software? They're all going away after December when web hosts abandon older PHP versions, specifically 5.6 and earlier. They will not be compatible with PHP 7.2 and will go offline unless altered. It's not optional, it's being forced on everyone.

QUOTE (jettmanas @ Nov 24 2019, 11:09 PM) *
Guess the timing was funny. Too bad people didn't do their art before all this, given the many months. Oh well.
I suppose many vanish from the site for a while. I did that for a few days, but find I keep coming back, like for this topic. mellow.gif

I didn't know it was happening until November 6th and didn't know the software was incompatible with PHP 7.2 until I tested it the next day. Also I'm pretty sure the last two remaining contestants will still enter their artwork eventually. They'll just have to make new accounts to do so I guess.

QUOTE (Stasis Muffin @ Nov 25 2019, 06:52 AM) *
I just remembered you made the Ship Generator, you are going to bring that over, right?

I just did one and got z08.png x z02.png

Yup, I already installed it. z03.gif

+Quote Post
jettmanas
post Nov 25 2019, 01:21 PM
Post #14

Spy Chic VI
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

Ok, sounds very technical. Hope it goes well. Thanks.

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

+Quote Post
Stasis Muffin
post Nov 26 2019, 10:54 AM
Post #15

Spyssassin II
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Ryofu @ Nov 25 2019, 05:14 AM) *
It's because it's the first time it's happening ever. Know all those forums and websites you went to 5-15 years ago that never really upgraded their software? They're all going away after December when web hosts abandon older PHP versions, specifically 5.6 and earlier. They will not be compatible with PHP 7.2 and will go offline unless altered. It's not optional, it's being forced on everyone.

Yup, I already installed it. z03.gif

I hate when this kind of stuff happens. It reminds me of Photobucket going premium and making TONS of pictures no longer accessible. The internet has so much potential to archive images and information, I hate mass purges like that.

Also, I should have known you'd get that done already.

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

+Quote Post
Kokoe
post Nov 28 2019, 09:01 AM
Post #16

slimegummie

Member No.: 1,048
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Mandy x Character Development
Favorite Musician(s): skrillex, grimes, baby metal
Favorite Game: BL2

what day will the forum go offline and when will the new one start?

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Nov 28 2019, 09:10 AM
Post #17

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Kokoe @ Nov 28 2019, 03:01 AM) *
what day will the forum go offline and when will the new one start?

I'm supposed to get e-mails when we're 30 days out and then 20 days out. I haven't received either of those yet, but I'm told the forced upgrade will happen in December. We will probably be switching over to the new forum before any deadline though. I will make an archive of the old forum available for a while if me and HDC can pull it off, but I'm only giving that out via PM probably.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2019 - 03:43 PM
Skin by Andrea

TSUG.net is a fan made website created in appreciation of Totally Spies. TSUG.net is not affiliated with the owners or creators of Totally Spies or its characters and settings. Totally Spies is owned by Marathon Animation Inc. This website was created just for informational purposes and for fun. This website has not been profited from in any way.