Kira Yamato
post Dec 7 2010, 10:05 PM
Post #1

The Spetacular Resident Forum Bishounen Physicist
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 11
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Yuri count as a favorite pairing too, right?
Favorite Anime: Too many to list...
Favorite Manga: Yet again, too many to list...
Favorite Movie: Can't accurately count them...
Favorite Book: Sein und Zeit, Metaphysik, Summa Theologiae
Favorite Musician(s): Beethoven, Richard Wagner, Anton Bruckner
Favorite Game: Desurete, Bandori, BGHS, and Kancolle

The Tomb Raider franchise is being rebooted by its new owners Square Enix and this is the result.

Lara Croft's evolution from comically buxom into comically macho:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

The game is being made by American developer Crystal Dynamics, formerly owned by Eidos and now a part of Square Enix.

Although notionally an American game, in light of Square Enix's notoriously simplistic (and so far, equally ineffective) view of marketing to hairy foreigners it is hard not to speculate about the involvement of Wada and company in ensuring the reboot of Lara into a macho she-man.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Dec 7 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #2

Straight from the Underground
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Manga: Hayate X Blade
Favorite Movie: Tenebre
Favorite Musician(s): Goblin

Um, well, I'm gonna kinda take issue with the term "macho she-man." This is dipping slightly into gender stereotypes. I'm definitely a big fan of "macho" female characters (although the term butch seems more appropriate to me) and have friends like that, so lets get that straight here that girls don't need to conform to a cerrtain look. Girls who are tough and still retain a feminine look, lets say Red Sonja maybe, are also good. But I'm definitely a fan of the short hair, boyish look as well.

Beyond that, I really don't have much to say about this series in particular. My interest in Tomb Raider died after the release of that terrible Angelina Jolie movie and then the games changing character models to make Lara look like her (ugh). I liked the first two games and the fanart released during that period that related to what some would refer to as the prurient interest, but I lost track of it after that.

+Quote Post
Stasis Muffin
post Dec 8 2010, 11:05 AM
Post #3

Spyssassin II
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 136
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Muffy x Stacy
Favorite Musician(s): Hannah Montana

She looks...different. I liked her original look. She looked like her own character, whatever that means. To be honest I don't think her new look seems macho at all, just nitty-gritty realistic with all the cuts and mud on her face in the last picture. I haven't played any Tomb Raider other than the first 4 for Playstation (#2 being my favorite), but I don't know.

I don't even think She-Hulk really looks macho, and she's got some muscle!

"From the halls of gorgeous Pep House, sisters bond and share; we've got spirit, pep, and good taste, not to mention awesome hair!"

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

+Quote Post
Kira Yamato
post Dec 8 2010, 01:44 PM
Post #4

The Spetacular Resident Forum Bishounen Physicist
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 11
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Yuri count as a favorite pairing too, right?
Favorite Anime: Too many to list...
Favorite Manga: Yet again, too many to list...
Favorite Movie: Can't accurately count them...
Favorite Book: Sein und Zeit, Metaphysik, Summa Theologiae
Favorite Musician(s): Beethoven, Richard Wagner, Anton Bruckner
Favorite Game: Desurete, Bandori, BGHS, and Kancolle

Actually I tried to post the general reception about the game. Perhaps I exaggerated with the term "macho she-man", but indeed the fandom seemed to receive the news with consternation. Frankly I think this is natural. For example, people would complain if some Street Fighter girls became "chibized" or whether their looks were changed for a moe style all of sudden.

On the other hand, there are fans who enjoyed to see her new appearance. I have recently read many positive comments supporting the idea, even among 2ch users (who are supposed to be "strict" in matter of games). It is therefore a matter of taste.

I would then like to add my formal apologies for those who got offended with my comments. I will be more careful from now on.

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Dec 8 2010, 04:48 PM
Post #5

Straight from the Underground
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Manga: Hayate X Blade
Favorite Movie: Tenebre
Favorite Musician(s): Goblin

QUOTE (Stasis Muffin @ Dec 8 2010, 05:05 AM) *
She looks...different. I liked her original look. She looked like her own character, whatever that means. To be honest I don't think her new look seems macho at all, just nitty-gritty realistic with all the cuts and mud on her face in the last picture. I haven't played any Tomb Raider other than the first 4 for Playstation (#2 being my favorite), but I don't know.

I don't even think She-Hulk really looks macho, and she's got some muscle!

She-Hulk has like female super hero muscles, which means they don't really bulge or anything and stick to the more feminine form. Pretty strange especially since the Hulk is so "hulked out." Nothing really against her though or even her look, she's a fun character. But I honestly can't think of any Marvel female offhand that really has a "macho" or tomboy look or whatever. Every tough girl I can think of still has the femme fatale look or something. Of course Marvel has always been kinda weird with gender, race, etc. untill recently. Not as bad as Archie Comics was untill like last year, but they're definitely kind of behind DC comics' track record I think.

Actually I tried to post the general reception about the game. Perhaps I exaggerated with the term "macho she-man", but indeed the fandom seemed to receive the news with consternation. Frankly I think this is natural. For example, people would complain if some Street Fighter girls became "chibized" or whether their looks were changed for a moe style all of sudden.

On the other hand, there are fans who enjoyed to see her new appearance. I have recently read many positive comments supporting the idea, even among 2ch users (who are supposed to be "strict" in matter of games). It is therefore a matter of taste.

I would then like to add my formal apologies for those who got offended with my comments. I will be more careful from now on.

Yeah, I get what you're saying with regards to an iconic character design changing just to reboot the series and the possibly OOCness. Just bad choice for slamming it though I think since it kinda gives the impression that female characters not being totally girly is stupid or something.

Isn't Tomb Raider a western series though? Are they mainly interested because of Square Enix? lol

+Quote Post
Wednesday
post Oct 12 2011, 09:24 AM
Post #6

Spy Chic IV
Group Icon

Group: Jeni-Chan
Member No.: 156
Favorite Character:

;o i can't wait for this to come out! i personally don't give a damn about her appearance changes because she's still beautiful and bad-ass! the game looks epic and i hate that i have to wait a whole year >.<
I like the fact that this is like a prequel to Tomb Raider, like this is how it all began for Lara. She won't be as 'skilled' as she is in the other games and I can't wait to see what that kind of gameplay is like. happy.gif
Plus it looks kind of scary and I just LOVE thriller-type games ;D

<<Xia<3

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2017 - 07:34 PM
Skin by Andrea

TSUG.net is a fan made website created in appreciation of Totally Spies. TSUG.net is not affiliated with the owners or creators of Totally Spies or its characters and settings. Totally Spies is owned by Marathon Animation Inc. This website was created just for informational purposes and for fun. This website has not been profited from in any way.