Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ashita no Nadja
Favorite Manga: Ah My Goddess
Favorite Comic: Empowered
Favorite Book: Nancy Drew
Favorite Musician(s): Adele, Ellie Goulding
Favorite Game: Nancy Drew, Professor Layton

I am currently pursuing a degree in Sociology, but I keep on having second thoughts about it because I don't know how beneficial it really is. Last semester I took Intro to Sociology and not only did I ace the course, but I really enjoyed it. I was able to have a better understanding of how people act and I want to be able to use what I learned in the real world. I originally wanted a degree in Pharmacy, but I quickly learned that I am not the best in math or science courses, so any STEM fields are out for me sad.gif . I am not looking to make a doctors salary or anything, I just want to be able to have a decent pay. If you don't think that Sociology is a good choice, I was also considering web or graphic design. Or if you don't think any of those are good, what other suggestions do you have?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Jan 29 2014, 07:11 PM
Post #2

Straight from the Underground
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Manga: Hayate X Blade
Favorite Movie: Tenebre
Favorite Musician(s): Goblin

QUOTE (DOA_Kasumi24 @ Jan 29 2014, 01:07 PM) *
I am currently pursuing a degree in Sociology, but I keep on having second thoughts about it because I don't know how beneficial it really is. Last semester I took Intro to Sociology and not only did I ace the course, but I really enjoyed it. I was able to have a better understanding of how people act and I want to be able to use what I learned in the real world. I originally wanted a degree in Pharmacy, but I quickly learned that I am not the best in math or science courses, so any STEM fields are out for me sad.gif . I am not looking to make a doctors salary or anything, I just want to be able to have a decent pay. If you don't think that Sociology is a good choice, I was also considering web or graphic design. Or if you don't think any of those are good, what other suggestions do you have?

Hi, Kasumi-chan! Are you really in Texas now and not Asia anymore? O___O

Umm, it might be a good field of study, but I think it's the kind of thing where you'll probably just end up teaching sociology in a class room. Most of the applications seem to be academic to me.

+Quote Post
DOA_Kasumi24
post Jan 29 2014, 08:44 PM
Post #3

Loser

Group: Members
Member No.: 656
Favorite Character:
Favorite Anime: Ashita no Nadja
Favorite Manga: Ah My Goddess
Favorite Comic: Empowered
Favorite Book: Nancy Drew
Favorite Musician(s): Adele, Ellie Goulding
Favorite Game: Nancy Drew, Professor Layton

QUOTE (Syxx @ Jan 29 2014, 01:11 PM) *

Umm, it might be a good field of study, but I think it's the kind of thing where you'll probably just end up teaching sociology in a class room. Most of the applications seem to be academic to me.

Teaching? .....I don't think that I can do that. I am a patient person, but I feel like teaching is my limit. Oh well, I will keep looking. Thanks for your input smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Jan 29 2014, 09:01 PM
Post #4

Straight from the Underground
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Manga: Hayate X Blade
Favorite Movie: Tenebre
Favorite Musician(s): Goblin

QUOTE (DOA_Kasumi24 @ Jan 29 2014, 02:44 PM) *
QUOTE (Syxx @ Jan 29 2014, 01:11 PM) *

Teaching? .....I don't think that I can do that. I am a patient person, but I feel like teaching is my limit. Oh well, I will keep looking. Thanks for your input smile.gif

Well, don't take my total word for it. You should probably set up a meeting with an adviser at you college and discuss what would be best for you.

+Quote Post
Kira Yamato
post Jan 29 2014, 09:36 PM
Post #5

The Spetacular Resident Forum Bishounen Physicist
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 11
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Yuri count as a favorite pairing too, right?
Favorite Anime: Too many to list...
Favorite Manga: Yet again, too many to list...
Favorite Movie: Can't accurately count them...
Favorite Book: Sein und Zeit, Metaphysik, Summa Theologiae
Favorite Musician(s): Beethoven, Richard Wagner, Anton Bruckner
Favorite Game: Desurete, Bandori, BGHS, and Kancolle

QUOTE (DOA_Kasumi24 @ Jan 29 2014, 09:07 PM) *

The fact that you consider yourself not much proficient with math does not mean you cannot pursue Pharmacy. I gave physics lectures for undergradutes in Biology and Zootechny (which have some basic disciplines in common with Pharmacy) and they got some good results. Evidently I did not expect them to have the same mathematical preparation as a student from an engineering course, for example; yet, the basic considerations about physics (especially those concerning some biochemical reactions) were mastered by them.

In relation to Sociology, it is true that its primary interest is related to scientific purposes. Nevertheless, if you like to perform researches it may be a good option.

The following link is from the Department for the Studies of Societies at the same university in which I work on. It may give you some insights about your future course:

http://www.mpifg.de/index_en.asp

+Quote Post
ren shizu
post Jan 30 2014, 04:58 PM
Post #6

Spyssassin V
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 27
Favorite Character:

I don't know anything about Sociology degrees so I won't be of much help in regards to that topic. However, you mentioned about considering web or graphic design. In my case, I do work in the IT industry and it does give you a decent pay especially if you have a knowledge in computer programming(you can get more pay if you become a consultant). But the competition is quite tough so better get equipped with all the knowledge you can get. Working in the IT industry requires a continuous learning with the latest technologies. Also, if you know a foreign language, it simply expands opportunities for you in IT and it can work as your advantage as well.

I hope this helps.

Nothing is forever except death

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 03:52 PM
Skin by Andrea

TSUG.net is a fan made website created in appreciation of Totally Spies. TSUG.net is not affiliated with the owners or creators of Totally Spies or its characters and settings. Totally Spies is owned by Marathon Animation Inc. This website was created just for informational purposes and for fun. This website has not been profited from in any way.