IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who Is Your Favorite of the Three Main Spies?
Who Is Your Favorite of the Three Main Spies?
Who Is Your Favorite of the Three Main Spies?
Alex [ 4 ] ** [25.00%]
Clover [ 7 ] ** [43.75%]
Sam [ 5 ] ** [31.25%]
Not Sure [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 16
Guests cannot vote 
TB74
post May 31 2019, 10:43 PM
Post #21

Queen Bee
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 380
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: None at the moment
Favorite Anime: Maria-Sama ga Miteru
Favorite Manga: None at the moment
Favorite Comic: Philémon
Favorite Movie: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Almost everything by Howard Philips Lovecraft
Favorite Musician(s): Too many to list
Favorite Album: Too many to list
Favorite Game: At the moment: The Last Door

It used to be Sam, but it's Alex, now. She's so kindhearted and bubbly—also klutzy and naive—, which I tend to like more and more in characters.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nextstopplease
post Jun 3 2019, 02:21 PM
Post #22

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,038
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Clover
Favorite Anime: K-ON!!
Favorite Movie: Studio Ghibli films, SPIDERVERSE
Favorite Book: Norwegian Wood
Favorite Game: Animal Crossing New Leaf

Because I’ve been drawing her so much, Clover’s been creeping up my fav spy list! I guess doodling her makes me think about her character more especially when trying to draw expressive faces.

She’s sassy, brash and very self-centred at times - so when she does put someone else first her act of kindness is emphasised more and seems more significant (if that makes sense?)

Plus the fact she’s super hot laugh.gif

+Quote Post
hdc
post Jun 9 2019, 11:27 PM
Post #23

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,016
Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Nextstopplease @ Jun 3 2019, 07:21 AM) *
Because I€™ve been drawing her so much, Clover€™s been creeping up my fav spy list! I guess doodling her makes me think about her character more especially when trying to draw expressive faces.

She€™s sassy, brash and very self-centred at times - so when she does put someone else first her act of kindness is emphasised more and seems more significant (if that makes sense?)

Plus the fact she€™s super hot laugh.gif

Given they're all beautiful, rich, and save the world on a weekly basis, maybe it's their flaws that make them attractive.

Sam is a genius but at the cost of being bookish and supposedly lacking social calibration (though she seems to manage fine when on a job). Alex's naivete makes her endearing.

Clover is brazenly self-confident but unlike Sam her confidence is rooted in her charisma and popularity rather than her accomplishments. So she feels the need for more popularity, being a model, actress, being treated as an adult, etc. Put another way, she's used to external validation rather than internal (and to be fair you need some of both). And the other side of her self-confidence is that it often leads her to falling short of her expectations. That makes her sympathetic, and gives her opportunities to learn and grow and keeps her from being overly perfect and static. Picture her with Sam's brains and conscience added and I think it gets harder to imagine an interesting story about her. She gets the former in "Super Agent Much?" and the result is she becomes somewhat of a sociopath. That's probably Geraldine's influence, but it could also reflect that her self-centeredness has been magnified, not tempered, by her new abilities.

MILF Clover has a great line in "Futureshock" when young Clover says "I don't think I'm even gonna make it to 2025," and she replies, "You have to, or else I won't make it!"

Even though I don't feel like she gets much character development, at least she has the potential for it. She sometimes does within an episode, but then it's contradicted at the end for comic effect, and forgotten by the next episode.

Yeah maybe that's one reason people like anti-heroes - when they do something good it's somewhat unexpected and seems to carry more emotional weight.

+Quote Post
jettmanas
post Jun 10 2019, 04:10 AM
Post #24

Spy Chic V
Group Icon

Member No.: 901
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Alex & Martin Mystery
Favorite Anime: Persona 4
Favorite Manga: Nausicaa
Favorite Comic: Generation X (early issues)
Favorite Movie: Persona 3 movies (1-4)
Favorite Book: Animator's Survival Kit
Favorite Musician(s): Michiru Yamane (Skullgirls)
Favorite Album: Castle Crashers OST
Favorite Game: Jewelion (did the art/animation)

QUOTE (hdc @ Jun 9 2019, 04:27 PM) *
QUOTE (Nextstopplease @ Jun 3 2019, 07:21 AM) *
Because I�€™ve been drawing her so much, Clover�€™s been creeping up my fav spy list! I guess doodling her makes me think about her character more especially when trying to draw expressive faces.

She�€™s sassy, brash and very self-centred at times - so when she does put someone else first her act of kindness is emphasised more and seems more significant (if that makes sense?)

Plus the fact she�€™s super hot laugh.gif

Given they're all beautiful, rich, and save the world on a weekly basis, maybe it's their flaws that make them attractive.

Sam is a genius but at the cost of being bookish and supposedly lacking social calibration (though she seems to manage fine when on a job). Alex's naivete makes her endearing.

Clover is brazenly self-confident but unlike Sam her confidence is rooted in her charisma and popularity rather than her accomplishments. So she feels the need for more popularity, being a model, actress, being treated as an adult, etc. Put another way, she's used to external validation rather than internal (and to be fair you need some of both). And the other side of her self-confidence is that it often leads her to falling short of her expectations. That makes her sympathetic, and gives her opportunities to learn and grow and keeps her from being overly perfect and static. Picture her with Sam's brains and conscience added and I think it gets harder to imagine an interesting story about her. She gets the former in "Super Agent Much?" and the result is she becomes somewhat of a sociopath. That's probably Geraldine's influence, but it could also reflect that her self-centeredness has been magnified, not tempered, by her new abilities.

MILF Clover has a great line in "Futureshock" when young Clover says "I don't think I'm even gonna make it to 2025," and she replies, "You have to, or else I won't make it!"

Even though I don't feel like she gets much character development, at least she has the potential for it. She sometimes does within an episode, but then it's contradicted at the end for comic effect, and forgotten by the next episode.

Yeah maybe that's one reason people like anti-heroes - when they do something good it's somewhat unexpected and seems to carry more emotional weight.

Wow, excellent points on what makes her sympathetic and why.
A shame that comic effect at the end does negate some development.
I think a balance is ideal. Really curious if this show will come back w/slight changes- someday.

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

My video game art/animation: http://www.tangerinepop.com/
However tough life gets, don't give up!

+Quote Post
Nextstopplease
post Jun 11 2019, 01:32 PM
Post #25

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,038
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Clover
Favorite Anime: K-ON!!
Favorite Movie: Studio Ghibli films, SPIDERVERSE
Favorite Book: Norwegian Wood
Favorite Game: Animal Crossing New Leaf

QUOTE (hdc @ Jun 9 2019, 11:27 PM) *

I totally agree with you about Clover's character development, she has have so much potential! It's the same for the other girls but more so with Clover IMO, but yes like you said they make progress by the end of the episode and then they revert to their old ways in the next. Really wished there was some progressing character development considering the show had multiple seasons - at the same time I guess it's just easy viewing for kids!

+Quote Post
Kira Yamato
post Jun 13 2019, 05:04 PM
Post #26

TSUG's Mysterious Bishounen Hot Teacher
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 11
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Any kind of yuri pair...
Favorite Anime: My current list forms a divergent series...
Favorite Manga: I'm just too lazy to list them all...
Favorite Movie: The Lord of the Rings
Favorite Book: Sein und Zeit, Metaphysik, Summa Theologiae
Favorite Musician(s): Kishida Kyoudan, Saiori Hayami, Momoiro Clover Z
Favorite Album: Endo Yurika's FINAL LIVE - Emotional Daybreak
Favorite Game: Azur Lane, Kancolle, and Girls Frontline

QUOTE (hdc @ Jun 10 2019, 12:27 AM) *

Oddly enough, Sam seemed to be more sociable during the span of the first two seasons. For example, I remember I really liked her friendly and slightly flirty interactions with David... they were so sincere and lovely. It was almost like if they were brother and sister. smile.gif

It seems her social skills were toned down a bit after the events of Evil Promition Much?. On the other hand, her snarkiness levels increased a lot, especially during the last seasons. lol

~~§§ Azur Lane §§~~

Latest Artbook & Doujin Reviews:

Fantasia Bunko Utopia
Hot Winter

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Jun 13 2019, 05:25 PM
Post #27

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Game: Senran Kagura

QUOTE (Kira Yamato @ Jun 13 2019, 12:04 PM) *
QUOTE (hdc @ Jun 10 2019, 12:27 AM) *

Oddly enough, Sam seemed to be more sociable during the span of the first two seasons. For example, I remember I really liked her friendly and slightly flirty interactions with David... they were so sincere and lovely. It was almost like if they were brother and sister. smile.gif

It seems her social skills were toned down a bit after the events of Evil Promition Much?. On the other hand, her snarkiness levels increased a lot, especially during the last seasons. lol

She also became naggy and mother henlike, being the one trying to get everyone else to do chores. lol

+Quote Post
Kira Yamato
post Jun 13 2019, 06:31 PM
Post #28

TSUG's Mysterious Bishounen Hot Teacher
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 11
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Any kind of yuri pair...
Favorite Anime: My current list forms a divergent series...
Favorite Manga: I'm just too lazy to list them all...
Favorite Movie: The Lord of the Rings
Favorite Book: Sein und Zeit, Metaphysik, Summa Theologiae
Favorite Musician(s): Kishida Kyoudan, Saiori Hayami, Momoiro Clover Z
Favorite Album: Endo Yurika's FINAL LIVE - Emotional Daybreak
Favorite Game: Azur Lane, Kancolle, and Girls Frontline

QUOTE (Ryofu @ Jun 13 2019, 06:25 PM) *
She also became naggy and mother henlike, being the one trying to get everyone else to do chores. lol

Maybe this explains why Jerry got more attracted to her in the last seasons. XD Jerry is pretty much a meticulous person himself.

~~§§ Azur Lane §§~~

Latest Artbook & Doujin Reviews:

Fantasia Bunko Utopia
Hot Winter

+Quote Post
Ryofu
post Jun 14 2019, 05:39 AM
Post #29

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Game: Senran Kagura

QUOTE (Kira Yamato @ Jun 13 2019, 01:31 PM) *
QUOTE (Ryofu @ Jun 13 2019, 06:25 PM) *

Maybe this explains why Jerry got more attracted to her in the last seasons. XD Jerry is pretty much a meticulous person himself.

And a mama's boy. lol

+Quote Post
hdc
post Jun 17 2019, 08:33 AM
Post #30

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,016
Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Kira Yamato @ Jun 13 2019, 10:04 AM) *

As it happens my comment was based mainly on "Ski Trip", where she tries and fails to flirt with David. They're in a ski lift and she mentions the gorgeous romantic view, and he replies "yeah, but they probably had to cut down old growth forest to make this ski resort, which in turn probably left a lot of endangered animals homeless." (Debbie Downer much?)

She then gives him an even more direct hint ("It'd be nice to have a guy to share [this view] with") and his response ("I'll keep my eyes open for you") suggests he either (1) is too oblivious to be allowed on a ski slope, (2) isn't into girls, (3) is actually flirting back but overplaying it by disqualifying himself when he doesn't need to.

After he leaves, she says she needs to take flirting lessons.

Of course, (1) this exchange makes him look more socially inept than her; (2) I doubt anyone wants to dig up all those huge tree stumps just to make a ski run; (3) let's face it, in any sane world all Sam needs to do to flirt is show up and be herself.

In "Silicon Valley Girls" (I think) she refers to herself as a "nerd". My thought was "geek, maybe, nerd, fuhgeddaboudit."

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2019 - 03:41 PM
Skin by Andrea

TSUG.net is a fan made website created in appreciation of Totally Spies. TSUG.net is not affiliated with the owners or creators of Totally Spies or its characters and settings. Totally Spies is owned by Marathon Animation Inc. This website was created just for informational purposes and for fun. This website has not been profited from in any way.