IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does Totally Spies deserve a rebuild?, Fund it!
hdc
post Sep 3 2017, 10:45 PM
Post #21

Wannabe

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,016
Favorite Character:

QUOTE (TotallyMari @ Feb 5 2017, 07:16 AM) *
a sequel that took them into the young adult life.

That's what I'd like to see. Instead of balancing their spy jobs with school, they would have to balance it with work and relationships.

As much as I like Jerry, he might have retired by now so maybe Sam would take over his role while still being able to help out on missions sometimes?

IIRC Clover wants to be a fashion designer so maybe she would end up moving to NYC or Paris or Milan?

One or more of them might want to get married and have kids (though of course I'd be happiest if their relationships were all yuri).

In general the girls would have to work at staying close as they inevitably grow apart into their individual adult lives. (IIRC, in "Futureshock" Alex thought it was cool they were still living together in 2025 whereas Clover was appalled they were 30something and still single.) It would be nice if they could stay as close forever as they were in high school, but I think real life is not like that, plus having them grow apart a bit would introduce more dramatic potential.

As long as I'm wishing, it would also be nice to have ongoing story arcs and character/relationship development as opposed to the more self-contained/static nature of the original show (I suppose what I'm asking for is getting into 90210 territory, which I never watched).

On a side note, I've noticed a lot of products aimed at those of us who grew up in the 80s and 90s (for example, making-of books about Masters of the Universe/She-Ra, TMNT, etc., reprints and replicas of long-discontinued comics and toys, etc.) However when I look on Amazon for TS stuff, about all I can find are DVDs of the first three seasons with no extras. It almost seems like the series has to age a little more before it gets that kind of nostalgia treatment : ( I was surprised to find that (as far as I can see) TS doesn't seem to have been made to sell action figures or other toys, since that was so common with all the cartoons I grew up with.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Sep 3 2017, 11:39 PM
Post #22

Straight from the Underground
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Manga: Hayate X Blade
Favorite Movie: Tenebre
Favorite Musician(s): Goblin

TS doesn't seem to have been made to sell action figures or other toys, since that was so common with all the cartoons I grew up with.

There were some dolls, but so few of them were made, they may as well have never existed at all. I've certainly never seen them anywhere. There was more TS merchandise in Europe, where the show made more money I think (although it did pull in big ratings in 2004 until Cartoon Network decided to give it the bastard step-child treatment). You can probably still find the video games that were made though. Only one of them didn't make it to the US I think.

+Quote Post
hdc
post Sep 4 2017, 06:16 AM
Post #23

Wannabe

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,016
Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Ghidra @ Sep 3 2017, 04:39 PM) *
TS doesn't seem to have been made to sell action figures or other toys, since that was so common with all the cartoons I grew up with.

There were some dolls, but so few of them were made, they may as well have never existed at all. I've certainly never seen them anywhere. There was more TS merchandise in Europe, where the show made more money I think (although it did pull in big ratings in 2004 until Cartoon Network decided to give it the bastard step-child treatment). You can probably still find the video games that were made though. Only one of them didn't make it to the US I think.

Yes I've seen the Clover and Alex dolls on Amazon for $120 and $140 respectively, but they don't look much like the characters IMO.

It looks like there was another set made in France. As you say that's probably a better place to look for merchandise.

I tried figurerealm but oddly found nothing there.

I'm a little more interested in some of the comics I've seen scanned here (example), as they look like they're drawn in a style that's very close to the cartoon, which is rarity in the fandoms I'm familiar with.

I also note there seem to be at least three distinct art styles used in their merchandising. Some of the products appear to just use art lifted from the show, some give them a (IMO) slightly more masculine look, and some give them a kind of stylized cutesy look that I kinda like.

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Sep 4 2017, 09:11 AM
Post #24

Straight from the Underground
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Manga: Hayate X Blade
Favorite Movie: Tenebre
Favorite Musician(s): Goblin

Some of the products appear to just use art lifted from the show, some give them a (IMO) slightly more masculine look, and some give them a kind of stylized cutesy look that I kinda like.

The first one is from the character design style they used from Season 3 to 5. The cutesy stylized look was used in a lot of non-cartoon promo stuff early on. The comics, which re-adapt episodes, has a style similar to that (but not exactly). They were originally published in Totally Spies Magazine (which I think was only sold in French speaking countries in Europe) and then later re-printed in book format in the US (although I've never seen them anywhere other than online).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 05:34 AM
Skin by Andrea

TSUG.net is a fan made website created in appreciation of Totally Spies. TSUG.net is not affiliated with the owners or creators of Totally Spies or its characters and settings. Totally Spies is owned by Marathon Animation Inc. This website was created just for informational purposes and for fun. This website has not been profited from in any way.