Spy Chic II
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 901
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Alex & Martin Mystery
Favorite Anime: Persona 4
Favorite Manga: Nausicaa
Favorite Comic: Generation X (early issues)
Favorite Movie: Persona 3 movies (1-4)
Favorite Book: Animator's Survival Kit
Favorite Musician(s): Michiru Yamane (Skullgirls)
Favorite Album: Castle Crashers OST
Favorite Game: Jewelion (did the art/animation)

Since the forum's a bit more lively w/a fanart contest, I figured I'd share a thought I've had for a while.
Maybe it's old news since I'm a newbie here but-

Powerpuff Girls is an obvious possible reference that TS might have been influenced by, considering the personalities & hair colors of both shows. (PPG first aired in '95)

But TS may have influenced a video game I've enjoyed since it appeared in 2008, BlazBlue.

After the first entry as more characters are introduced, we eventually see a trio of girls who attend Academy:

Tsubaki: Smart, responsible leader of the trio. Becomes mind-controlled for a while as a big story point(!) Long red hair.

Noel: Emotional, girly romantic, who grows & excels considerably. Blonde.

Makoto: Tomboyish, funny, cute, hand-to-hand expert of another "ethnicity" (Beastkin, a squirrel-girl). Short hair (brown)

Maybe some of you are familiar w/BlazBlue. If not, and you're interested in a female trio with great personality, (even some light & funny yuri undertones), art, dialogue & story, consider checking out the games on YouTube or even getting one.
BB Chrono Phantansma Extend is the current one.

But BB Central Fiction is in the next game in the series, coming this winter. So you could wait for that. I'm looking forward to it!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

My video game art/animation: http://www.tangerinepop.com/
However tough life gets, don't give up!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NinjaNick101
post Jul 19 2016, 08:14 AM
Post #2

Ninja
Group Icon

Member No.: 198
Favorite Character:

They're cute.

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Jul 21 2016, 07:08 PM
Post #3

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Game: Senran Kagura

I don't really see much connection between TS and BlazBlue. Most of these are common anime archetypes I think. There may be some connection between TS and Powerpuff Girls, but I think maybe that's just similarities they both have with Charlie's Angels, which TS is most influenced by. The character of Mandy I think is most similar to characters from Josie and the Pussycats and Beverly Hills Teens. Josie and the Pussycats also has the three girl main characters thing going on, and I think some of the animators took cues from it with the dog pile gag that is in both shows.

+Quote Post
jettmanas
post Jul 22 2016, 12:15 AM
Post #4

Spy Chic II
Group Icon

Member No.: 901
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Alex & Martin Mystery
Favorite Anime: Persona 4
Favorite Manga: Nausicaa
Favorite Comic: Generation X (early issues)
Favorite Movie: Persona 3 movies (1-4)
Favorite Book: Animator's Survival Kit
Favorite Musician(s): Michiru Yamane (Skullgirls)
Favorite Album: Castle Crashers OST
Favorite Game: Jewelion (did the art/animation)

NN, I agree, those three are cute. Tsubaki's my fav.

Oh yeah, I'm familiar w/C.Angels & its influence on TS. Watched the intro to BH Teens, but not an ep. Josie- don't believe I've watched it. That artsyle looks fun- maybe I should watch an ep.

The hair colors & personalities of the BlazBlue girl trio being similar to TS is interesting to me.

But yeah, the first girl trio I saw was probably the original Bubblegum Crisis. I really enjoyed that. They even had a "Jer" (Sylia) cool.gif
Watched BG Crash, but lost track of anything after that. Good chatting w/you!

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

My video game art/animation: http://www.tangerinepop.com/
However tough life gets, don't give up!

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Jul 22 2016, 05:50 AM
Post #5

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Game: Senran Kagura

But yeah, the first girl trio I saw was probably the original Bubblegum Crisis. I really enjoyed that. They even had a "Jer" (Sylia) cool.gif
Watched BG Crash, but lost track of anything after that. Good chatting w/you!

I think Bubblegum Crisis is more of a four girl team. Sylvia puts on the suit and fights, so I don't think she's really a Jerry type character. Jerry himself is probably a combination of Charlie from Charlie's Angles and an aging James Bond/The Saint/60's British spy character.

Bubblegum Crisis 2040 is pretty good if you want to watch more. Didn't like the bait and switch with Sylia's yuri tendencies, but it's pretty well made for a 90's AIC anime with an excellent techno/rock/industrial score.

Girl action anime that came before BGC are Cat's Eye and Dirty Pair. I think Dirty Pair's influence on TS may have been mentioned before by someone. There may be a specific reference with an alternate costume they used, but I can't remember exactly. I'm pretty sure DP aired in France and was renamed Dan and Danny there.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 09:16 AM
Skin by Andrea

TSUG.net is a fan made website created in appreciation of Totally Spies. TSUG.net is not affiliated with the owners or creators of Totally Spies or its characters and settings. Totally Spies is owned by Marathon Animation Inc. This website was created just for informational purposes and for fun. This website has not been profited from in any way.