Favorite Anime: Sailor Moon
Favorite Manga: Sailor Moon
Favorite Comic: N/A
Favorite Movie: To Kill A Mocking Bird
Favorite Book: To Kill A Mocking Bird
Favorite Musician(s): Too many to name.
Favorite Album: N/A
Favorite Game: Tomb Raider

So I finally made up my mind on what I wanted to do. And I have chosen to be a model for wedding dress. I've always wanted to wear wedding dresses since I was young. So it's a fulfillment and maybe I'll appear in magazines! biggrin.gif

MASQUERADE.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KatiraMoon
post Jan 12 2014, 12:33 AM
Post #2

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 29
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Mandy/Alex
Favorite Musician(s): Lady Gaga, One Republic, Sia.
Favorite Game: Red Dead Redemption, Skyrim.

That sounds like a cool job. Good luck to you! cat.gif

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

+Quote Post
TB74
post Jan 12 2014, 04:22 AM
Post #3

Queen Bee
Group Icon

Member No.: 380
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Me + Kugimiya Rie :)
Favorite Anime: Maria-Sama ga Miteru
Favorite Comic: Philemon
Favorite Movie: The Big Lebowski
Favorite Book: The Complete Works of Howard Philips Lovecraft
Favorite Musician(s): Kalafina

QUOTE (angelickitty89 @ Jan 11 2014, 07:33 PM) *
That sounds like a cool job. Good luck to you! cat.gif

Ditto! Hope you succeed in the world of wedding fashion modeling, Empress! a53.gif

Maybe I'll end up being your favorite photographer! wink.gif

+Quote Post
ren shizu
post Jan 12 2014, 05:44 AM
Post #4

Spyssassin V
Group Icon

Member No.: 27
Favorite Character:

that's so awesome! hope you succeed in your endeavours. just do what you love doing the most! smile.gif

Nothing is forever except death

+Quote Post
Kira Yamato
post Jan 12 2014, 07:59 PM
Post #5

The Spetacular Resident Forum Bishounen Physicist
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 11
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Yuri count as a favorite pairing too, right?
Favorite Anime: Too many to list...
Favorite Manga: Yet again, too many to list...
Favorite Movie: Can't accurately count them...
Favorite Book: Sein und Zeit, Metaphysik, Summa Theologiae
Favorite Musician(s): Beethoven, Richard Wagner, Anton Bruckner
Favorite Game: Desurete, Bandori, BGHS, and Kancolle

That's great, Hime-chan!!

I wish you good luck with your career. ^^ It is so exciting starting a new activity!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Black Fatima
post Jan 12 2014, 11:39 PM
Post #6

Am I any less important?
Group Icon

Member No.: 4
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: N/A

Thanks guys. I need to research on how to become a model. >_<

MASQUERADE.

+Quote Post
Black Fatima
post Jan 17 2014, 05:06 PM
Post #7

Am I any less important?
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

Sorry for double posting but I've learned that you need to be 5'9'' or around that height. I'm 5'1'' but I'm still going to make this happen.

MASQUERADE.

+Quote Post
Kira Yamato
post Jan 17 2014, 07:03 PM
Post #8

The Spetacular Resident Forum Bishounen Physicist
Group Icon

Member No.: 11
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Yuri count as a favorite pairing too, right?
Favorite Anime: Too many to list...
Favorite Manga: Yet again, too many to list...
Favorite Movie: Can't accurately count them...
Favorite Book: Sein und Zeit, Metaphysik, Summa Theologiae
Favorite Musician(s): Beethoven, Richard Wagner, Anton Bruckner
Favorite Game: Desurete, Bandori, BGHS, and Kancolle

QUOTE (Black Fatima @ Jan 17 2014, 07:06 PM) *
Sorry for double posting but I've learned that you need to be 5'9'' or around that height. I'm 5'1'' but I'm still going to make this happen.

I think one's current height is not a fixed basis; it is rather a mean value, possibly for sake of completeness. I don't think your actual height might be an obstacle for your dream, Hime-chan. ^^

+Quote Post
Black Fatima
post Jan 18 2014, 02:20 AM
Post #9

Am I any less important?
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

Thanks guys. If it doesn't happen then I'll settle for a local shop.

MASQUERADE.

+Quote Post
TB74
post Jan 18 2014, 09:09 AM
Post #10

Queen Bee
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Black Fatima @ Jan 17 2014, 12:06 PM) *
Sorry for double posting but I've learned that you need to be 5'9'' or around that height. I'm 5'1''

Well... the fashion industry isn't very kind to short people to say the least. I know first hand. I'm a photographer, and I know some people in the business, including a photographer who happens to own a modeling agency. Well, all of her girls are of average height or are tall (except for children and teens, of course).

While you can succeed being a 5' 1" model, the truth is, you'll have to work ten times harder than a girl measuring 5' 8"-5 '9" with the same exact looks to get to the same point she'll get to. There are some short models in this business, sure, but they're a rare breed. Also, some celebs, like Danica Patrick (5' 4") and Mila Kunis (5' 2") did some modeling. Emma Watson is also did modeling, and she's 5' 5"... But they're celebs, and that's why they were hired, not because of how tall they were, so let's not stray too far into the world of modeling celebs, which as rules on its own.

I'm not trying to crush your dream, but you must be prepared to be told you're too short, because it will happen a lot. sad.gif

The reality behind this business is that it's all about looking great. And these days, women who are thin look great, according to the fashion industry... Extremely thin. So they use 5' 9" tall models that weight 125 lbs. and less in order to get the kind of thin they want. This is especially true in haute couture... and in wedding fashion too, unfortunately. Usually, the taller the model is, the shorter the torso part of a wedding dress will look, which leaves a lot of creative room to make an outstanding lower part. (BTW, models seen in specialized wedding dresses magazines are usually between 16 and 20... they look older thanks to specifically-designed-to-look-older make up.)

But there are good news. The fashion industry is changing, slowly. For instance, Elle Québec changed its rules concerning photoshopping the pictures appearing in its magazine (the body proportions of the models aren't modified anymore, but skin retouching is still uber common) in an effort to send a more realistic and positive image of women to readers, which are mostly teenage girls. Some fashion designers recently sent models back home because they looked too thin. This change comes mainly from public concern about the image of women that is sent to girls and people in general, but also out of concern for the health of the models, some which publicly said they were going through extreme diets that jeopardize their health in order to keep their job.

The other good news is that if you look well-proportioned, you still can make it in this business, though getting to the top might still prove very difficult. Being a model and being a top model are two different things. Modeling for Jean-Paul Gaultier isn't the same as modeling for the local fashion designer who just opened his/her new shop.

In the end, the top fashion business is all about looks, and while there are "standards" of beauty in the world fashion, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and some fashion designers, art designers and photographer are looking for different forms of beauty, sometimes in an effort to stand out from the crowd. In fact, there are more and more photographers looking for short models, especially for sportswear and lingerie fashion, because their shapes look either more athletic or more curvy than the usual 5' 9" / 125 lbs. model. Also, some models are hired exclusively for their faces (can you say glasses or headwear advertisement?), so height doesn't matter much in these cases.

Most important, the fashion business is looking for people who stand out from the crowd. Not because they have pink hair, because they're short or because they have cool tattoos, no. It's because of something less tangible. They want a model that has a "visual personality" that stands out from the common stuff, both in pictures and in person. They want a model that will illuminate the picture with this unique "personality", whether they ask the girl to look strong or vulnerable, happy or moody, etc. They're looking for models who can act any sort of emotion, and who do it with a little "something" that's apart from the rest.

So if you can manage to have your own, unique look that stands out from the crowd (through experience and by playing with your personality's multiple aspects), the possibilities will open up a lot. Because there's gonna be a fashion designer or photographer looking for that specific look that you have, and you're gonna be able to give that person what he/she's looking for. So if you got the looks, not having the height won't matter much, as long as you don't plan to become a top model within the next year.

I suggest you try to meet with a local modeling agent or a small modeling agency. They will usually be very honest about your chances of succeeding in this business, sometimes way too honest. But they might also be able to give you tips on how to succeed in this business, including what kind of modeling you might be more suited for to start with, client needs-wise. Swimsuit, sportswear, underwear, catalogs or wedding fashion, etc., all are possible ways to get into the business, so don't limit your options by saying you'll only do wedding fashion. Be open-minded, and once you're in the business, contact wedding designers and tell them how much you'd like to model for them.

Finally, take the advice of the people in the fashion business seriously. If eight out of ten modeling agents tell you to cut your hair shorter or dye it blond to have a better chance of being called in for a shooting, listen to them. They know the business, they know what's trendy, and if they think you're interesting, they'll let you know what you have to do to be part of that trend, like cutting your hair shorter or something like that.

QUOTE (Black Fatima @ Jan 17 2014, 12:06 PM) *
but I'm still going to make this happen.

That's the spirit! Whatever happens, don't let the "we'll let you know", "not interested" and "we aren't looking for someone like you right now" answers get you down. You'll probably hear these answers very often, so keep on smiling, be determined and be confident, and someone will notice you eventually. smile.gif

Best of success with your career, girl!

+Quote Post
ren shizu
post Jan 18 2014, 03:21 PM
Post #11

Spyssassin V
Group Icon

Member No.: 27
Favorite Character:

Great advice TB! yeah, Empress. Don't give up now. Just set your eyes on the goal. I also have a dream career despite having a job right now. I'm not losing hope that I'll achieve it someday. Be confident in yourself. happy.gif

Nothing is forever except death

+Quote Post
Black Fatima
post Jan 23 2014, 04:43 PM
Post #12

Am I any less important?
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

Thanks for the tips, TB. I'll keep that in mind.

Tuesday evening at work a couple came in [during the snow storm] and one of my co-workers commented on her necklace. The woman said she made them then she said that she also made "wedding necklaces." That made me think of something but I was unable to tell her my "idea." But she came back in with little self-made cards and I told her that if she ever needed a model for her necklaces. I would be that person and she said something I can't remember. biggrin.gif But I'm excited and happy about it! Woot!

MASQUERADE.

+Quote Post
TB74
post Jan 25 2014, 10:24 PM
Post #13

Queen Bee
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Black Fatima @ Jan 23 2014, 11:43 AM) *

Tuesday evening at work a couple came in [during the snow storm] and one of my co-workers commented on her necklace. The woman said she made them then she said that she also made "wedding necklaces." That made me think of something but I was unable to tell her my "idea." But she came back in with little self-made cards and I told her that if she ever needed a model for her necklaces. I would be that person and she said something I can't remember. biggrin.gif But I'm excited and happy about it! Woot!

Great news! Hope this turns into a long-time collaboration. This could be a first step towards achieving your dream!

+Quote Post
Black Fatima
post Jan 25 2014, 10:34 PM
Post #14

Am I any less important?
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (TB74 @ Jan 25 2014, 05:24 PM) *
QUOTE (Black Fatima @ Jan 23 2014, 11:43 AM) *

Great news! Hope this turns into a long-time collaboration. This could be a first step towards achieving your dream!

Thanks. I hope so too. <3

MASQUERADE.

+Quote Post
hank44soccer
post Jan 28 2014, 04:33 AM
Post #15

Lackey

Member No.: 351
Favorite Character:
Favorite Movie: The Sandlot
Favorite Game: Crusader Kings 2

I always thought that I'd do something history related. Unfortunately recent teachers have really turned me off from the subject I once loved. Currently, I'd like to serve as an ambassador, or at least in a foreign consulate. Seeing that I only know English and Latin, that could be a hurdle. I'd like to work somewhere non life threatening like the low countries, or Scandinavia. The only real turn off for me would be if I had to get a law degree .

+Quote Post
TB74
post Jan 28 2014, 07:38 AM
Post #16

Queen Bee
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (hank44soccer @ Jan 27 2014, 11:33 PM) *
I always thought that I'd do something history related. Unfortunately recent teachers have really turned me off from the subject I once loved. Currently, I'd like to serve as an ambassador, or at least in a foreign consulate. Seeing that I only know English and Latin, that could be a hurdle. I'd like to work somewhere non life threatening like the low countries, or Scandinavia. The only real turn off for me would be if I had to get a law degree .

Get in politics, and your place in an embassy is almost assured!

At least, that's how they do it north of the border. wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 06:48 PM
Skin by Andrea

TSUG.net is a fan made website created in appreciation of Totally Spies. TSUG.net is not affiliated with the owners or creators of Totally Spies or its characters and settings. Totally Spies is owned by Marathon Animation Inc. This website was created just for informational purposes and for fun. This website has not been profited from in any way.