Member No.: 380
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Me + Kugimiya Rie :)
Favorite Anime: Maria-Sama ga Miteru
Favorite Comic: Philemon
Favorite Movie: The Big Lebowski
Favorite Book: The Complete Works of Howard Philips Lovecraft
Favorite Musician(s): Kalafina

I follow American politics a bit, and it's sometimes annoying to see how a news channel will take a partisan tone regarding a subject because the owner/owners (or more often, the viewers) are affiliated with a party or another (or a specific ideology).

So it's always nice to see a channel that's trying to remain neutral (even though some will argue they're not) and sensed about politics in general.

Well, I recently found out this YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yBKRuGpC1tSM73A0ZjYjQ

Although this channel is clearly liberal when it comes to sexual orientation, race and gender equality, etc., it seems to me like they fit the "neutral" description above when treating politicians who lie, hide information or just act too partisan. (Since I believe sexual orientation, race and gender equality is a matter of civil rights, not partisan affairs, I do not consider them to be "liberal".)

Their news are often very funny and they never use cheap tricks to make politicians look like idiot, as the audio or audio-video records of the public statement of them speaking non-sense is usually much more efficient.

Most interestingly, they point out a the politicians' and the political groups' (including their members) misinformed statements, non-sense, lies and crap, no matter what party or group they belong.

Worth discovering, IMHO.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Mar 14 2015, 07:59 AM
Post #2

Straight from the Underground
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Manga: Hayate X Blade
Favorite Movie: Tenebre
Favorite Musician(s): Goblin

I used to think they were okay, but that was back during my MSNBC phase. I think they're as much as hucksters as anyone else. They may go a bit further in calling out super obvious stupid shit, like say college students rallying against a wolf mascot for promoting "rape culture," but it's only a saving face technique to get you to buy into the idea that they're not as corrupt as mainstream liberal media. Of course the mainstream is more corrupt since they wouldn't even criticize such nonsense, but that doesn't mean they still aren't trying to push their own agendas down your throat.

Anyways, I had a big falling out with the media overall. I learned a lot in the past several months, and I've become aware that it's just networking for cliques of crooks. The only thing that separates them from politicians is you have the ability to vote politicians out of power.

+Quote Post
TB74
post Mar 17 2015, 01:54 AM
Post #3

Queen Bee
Group Icon

Group: Members
Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Syxx @ Mar 14 2015, 03:59 AM) *
The only thing that separates them from politicians is you have the ability to vote politicians out of power.

I think I do get your point: it's not like you can vote out CNN, MSNBC, etc. every 4 or 6 years. So you're usually stuck with them (and all the stupidity they can spread when they choose do so) for a much longer time then with a bad politician. sad.gif

Any media can spread inaccuracies, lies or plain stupidity without being bothered much. Sure, journalists have a code of ethics, but while it's possible to apply it to reporting events, applying it to commenting them isn't as easy. Columnists and other sorts of collaborators are not expected to report facts, but rather are supposed to give their personal or professional opinions on them. Whether their opinions are biased or not is not the issue, as the 1st Amendment that grants people the right to say shit so also grants others the right to share informed points of view based on verified facts as well.

But at least with media, you can always choose to change the channel or turn off your TV/PC/tablet/etc. laugh.gif

It's much more difficult to "turn off" a politician (well, some might argue an assassination works well, like with the Kennedys and the recent Boris Nemtsov murder, but this isn't the point, really, so I won't venture down that path — even though this subject would be interesting to write about on its own).

Except using the methods above, they only way to take a politician out of power before is term is over is usually with a scandal, as other legal procedure often take too long. But even with a big scandal, some politicians will last a full term before they're shown the way out by voters, so that's an unsure method at best. Unfortunately, some politicians can wreak havoc in the 4-6 years they're in power before they're voted out (like send troops to free "Irak" and botch the job so bad it becomes a fertile soil for people even worse than Saddam Hussein, for instance).

But you're right: at least you can vote them out. There isn't much you can do with a biased media, except offer a different point of view in hope it will counterbalance their crap... or sigh in despair as they spread ignorance and bullshit around.

... Still, I like those Turks. They're entertaining in a "let's try to be a 'serious' Colbert Report" sort of way. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Mar 17 2015, 04:07 AM
Post #4

Straight from the Underground
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Manga: Hayate X Blade
Favorite Movie: Tenebre
Favorite Musician(s): Goblin

As much as it's easy to blame Bush for ISIS taking over the Middle East, the blame goes squarely to Obama. Just because Bush created the mess, it doesn't mean Obama gets away scott free for being passed the ball and fumbling. Obama has been in charge for six years, and he's the one responsible for letting the power vacuum that allowed ISIS to take over to come into place after he pulled the troops out.

Honestly, I voted for Obama three times, but McCain probably would have handled the foreign policy better. I have no doubt about it now. Obama's foreign policy is mostly about sucking up to his liberal anti-war base and creating a list of accomplishments ("I ended two wars, blah, blah, blah."), but that crap has backfired at this point. I think he let his ego get ahead of him when he should have bunkered down and became a pragmatist.

As for the media, you traditionally have two wings. The wing that wants everyone to be judgmental Christians getting angry over stupid shit, and then the wing that pushes for Marxism both in the economic and cultural sense that gets angry over stupid shit. As much as I don't like Christian dogma and the things they whine about, Marxism is pretty fucked up and I can't stand it. I don't really care about people that want to overthrow our system of government and I'm sick and tired of them ranting about why our culture is bad and white people are evil. In a sense, they're pretty much both the same group of fuckwits to me now. They do the same thing, and they are equally obnoxious.

I mean I went from an Obama true-believer to not really even caring if the Republicans win the next presidential election. That's how much I've been alienated at this point. To use a channer-term, I took the red-pill, and I can now see how much the agenda driven media is trying to orchestrate things like puppeteers. You would think the internet news media would be less corrupt, but often it's more corrupt because journalism integrity and ethics really isn't a thing on the internet at all. Not that stuff like CNN isn't a dog and pony show. It totally is.

And I can't even stand Colbert anymore. I mean that's how much I've been turned. Even Colbert is some of the same stuff just packaged in a different way. That and the Daily Show had more of a point when they were criticizing the people in power, but now their guy is in power and its flaws became more apparent imo.

+Quote Post
TB74
post Mar 18 2015, 08:48 PM
Post #5

Queen Bee
Group Icon

Group: Members
Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Syxx @ Mar 17 2015, 12:07 AM) *
As much as it's easy to blame Bush for ISIS taking over the Middle East, the blame goes squarely to Obama. Just because Bush created the mess, it doesn't mean Obama gets away scott free for being passed the ball and fumbling. Obama has been in charge for six years, and he's the one responsible for letting the power vacuum that allowed ISIS to take over to come into place after he pulled the troops out.

Yeah, just because Bush first caused the mess doesn't mean Obama couldn't have done better in handling it. I got pretty disappointed with Obama too, as I thought he would lead US on a different path regarding foreign policy, such as refusing to use torture against terrorists. He thought he finally gave the US some ethics regarding foreign policies. A sort of "we won't use torture against our enemies, because it would be wrong to use torture when we consider it to be evil when used by tyrants and our enemies." But the "honeymoon" didn't last long.

I pretty much gave up on the guy when he authorized the use of drones to assassinate not only foreign but also American citizens suspected of terrorism. Since when a "strong suspicion" is enough reason to execute someone? Seems it is in the war against terror. To me, he dropped from being a "light of hope" for a new world order to being "just another American President" who believes the ends justifies the means, even if those means are wrong. sad.gif

It's not like I care so much, being Canadian. I'm more angry at Stephen Harper than I could ever be disappointed at Obama. But still, US policies have a global impact around the world (and on Canada's economy, sometimes), so it's not like I see the US politics as a negligible concern.

Other than the impact on world order and on Canada's economy, most of us here in Québec regard the US elections much like we look at the Superbowl: two teams battle each other for the "cup" or "trophy", with lots of drama and some surprises along the way, the four/six years in power being the "regular season".

So from this point of view, any show like the Colbert Report and The Daily Show is entertaining for us (whether it's during elections or not), especially when compared to the boring MSNBC, CNN or Fox news.

QUOTE (Syxx @ Mar 17 2015, 12:07 AM) *
Honestly, I voted for Obama three times, but McCain probably would have handled the foreign policy better. I have no doubt about it now.

I totally agree. I remember telling my friends and family, back in 2008, that McCain would've made a great President, but that he didn't stand much of a chance, for two reasons.

First, many people wanted a positive change, and Obama was the living incarnation of such change, back in 2008. That alone might not have been enough to secure the Presidency, but I also believe that McCain would also have to pay for the eight years Bush Jr. was in power.

Many people wanted to "punish" the Republicans in general for not standing against some of the White House's foreign policies the people were opposed too, for the lies the WH used to justify invading Iraq (those WoMD were never found) and for what seemed like "the saving of rich bankers using taxpayers' money". So McCain, even though he was often an opponent to W. Bush, was still seen as "one of them" by many disappointed Republicans, and began his campaign with a huge disadvantage.

Still, back then, I thought Obama's election was the best thing that could've happened to the US. Oh dear. laugh.gif

McCain might've stood a chance in 2012, but if I remember well, he decided not to enter the race. So the Republicans sent in morons as candidates instead. So Obama won again.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 07:08 PM
Skin by Andrea

TSUG.net is a fan made website created in appreciation of Totally Spies. TSUG.net is not affiliated with the owners or creators of Totally Spies or its characters and settings. Totally Spies is owned by Marathon Animation Inc. This website was created just for informational purposes and for fun. This website has not been profited from in any way.