Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Game: Senran Kagura

Ok as promised, I'm going to do a commentary and talkback thread for this classic TS episode, Queen for a Day. Certainly a historically important episode since it was the second episode produced (if you ignore the pilot. which only a hand full of people have actually seen).

I'm watching this one with the GoodTimes DVD on an Samsung Blu-ray player. I think the video quality would probably be better on my Oppo, but I couldn't get my laptop to cooperate so I have to watch it in the room with the Samsung instead. Edit: Fuck this thing, I'm getting the Oppo. It handles animation much better. Edit 2: Yup, it looks like 500 percent better. On the Samsung, there were jaggies when the characters spoke. Those jaggies are gone on the Oppo. Well worth the 500 bones I paid for it.

And one more note before I begin the commentary. I think this episode is may have partly been an homage to a Josie and the Pussycats episode, Swat Plot Flop. It has a similar plot with one of the Pussycats standing in for a princess that is being targeted. There are a lot of similarities between Josie and the Pussycats and Totally Spies. The character of Alexandra may have been the inspiration for Mandy.

Running Commentary – January, 25 2012

Lyrobia is an interesting name for a phony country. It's kind of like a combination of Libya and Saudi Arabia.

Queen Tasara is a pretty sexy character. Looks like there's no king since she's sleeping alone.

Seeing her struggle mid-air in her nightie while being pulled by the energy beam was nice. XD She has good legs. a11.gif

She lands right on her guard's lap in a sexual position. Good news for him. If that was me, she would probably be feeling something else at that point. a11.gif

When she raises her head in front of his crotch at the window is a little suggestive too. But the angle isn't good enough for a suggestive screenshot I think.

I really like the Episode title screens. Too bad CN always deleted them for broadcast.

And this is the infamous homecoming queen election episode. I nearly forgot this subplot was in this episode.

Mandy's homecoming queen commercial is one of the greatest things ever. I love her little jingle. "Clover is so over. It's Mandy who's dandy." The anti-Clover graphic is also great. I think I put that in "Mandy Puzzles" in the arcade.

Dude with the green shirt cheering the commercial has almost like an A Tribe Called Quest stick figure on the front of his shirt and on his sleeve.

I believe it was Leviathan that suggested that the cake Mandy gave to the JV and Varsity football teams was actually code for sex. I think I agree. LOL. She could have also fit inside the cake with how big it is.

The part with Clover whipping Mandy is very homoerotic. That couldn't have been an accident. XD

I like Sam's thigh high stockings here. a11.gif Also, is it just me or does Alex have two hearts on her ass in that outfit? XD The plunging back of it showing off some skin is also quite nice. Xd

I loved Clover slamming Arnold as a brainiac. Bitchiness is hot in cartoons. Can't help it. XD

It was pretty obvious they were going to get WOOHPed by that trash can the moment there was a camera shot inside it. Lol

This is probably one of the most intricate WOOHPings in the show with the rocket and everything.

Interesting shot of them bunched together in the rocket. Needs just a little more repositioning to be fanservicey though.

When the fall out of the rocket doesn't disappoint though in the yuri fanservice department with Clover sitting on Alex's ass along with Alex's expression. XD Both Sam and Alex are on their knees in the doggystyle position as well. a11.gif

Lyrobia is said by Jerry to be in northern Africa. So yeah, it definitely seems related to Libya.

LOL at the WOOHP agent with the drinks on a tray. Sort of nice shot of Sam sitting cross-legged as well.

First appearance of the RATVAT (or was it the only appearance). Either way, it was one of the cooler TS vehicles.

Clover looks pretty hot in her dessert outfit. LOL

I liked these split screens they used to do with the phone calls. The chibi icons are cool too. This one involves one for Arnold. His phone also seems humongous. Possibly a visual gag about him being a nerd.

I bet Arnold got laid when he was Clover's one week boyfriend. Xd

The palace is the Taj Mahal. LOL

Tasara's sister, Nikita, is pretty hot as well. Suddenly, the idea of sis-cest between them popped into my head. XD There's at least a cute shot of them hugging.

At this point, I think it's obvious Nikita and the body guard are shagging and plotting behind Tasara's back.

The shot with Alex crouching almost looks like she's masturbating. whistle.gif Her hand is definitely in the right place and the animators included some detail on the crotch of her pants. LOL

Tarsara is definitely hot. Kind of wish there was a nude bathing scene or something. Xd

Sam just goes ahead and touches what looks like radioactive goo.

Tasara's reaction to Clover taking her crown off was almost like she was fondled or something.

In the day dream of Clover's "royal shopping spree," the guy waiting on her in a tux almost looks like a chick in drag. Could almost be Mandy wearing a fake moustache. XD

Alex is randomly touching Tasara right after that sequence. It almost looks like she's licking her hair too! I should do screenshots of this episode at some point.

Clover is trying to get some action with Tasra's guard. Nikita falls ill. It's obvious the guard has something going on with her. Pretty cute shot of her putting her head on his chest.

Clover is kidnapped. I think she probably enjoys being carried around like that by burly guys. LOL. Her ass is definitely on display here.

Some cool ninja climbing action by Sam.

Jerry is having what I assume is a crumpet with his tea. LOL

Love the gaudy pink paint job on the RATVAT. LOL

Nice panning camera shot on Alex's crotch and open thighs.

I like the periscope on the RATVAT.

Clover in bondage. Definitely something she's familiar with.

Clover is crying after the badguys say they're going to ship her to Siberia. She was probably looking forward to gang bang action. XD

Very nice shot of Alex and Sam's breasts in their outfits after they get out of the RATVAT.

Alex is so dumb she thought a lion on her heat vision was the "kidnappers."

The shot of them in the mud is nice too, especially Alex on her back. XD

Those pants do not look flattering on Queen Tasara.

Clover looks like a blow up doll or something with her mouth wide open when Alex sits on and breaks the box she's in. Some more fanservicey shots with Alex lounging on her. Then Alex moves to straddle her when she remove her ropes. XD

Nikita is evil. I think everyone saw this from a mile away. She's super sexy evil though.

Extremely nice shot of Clover's bare thighs as she's floating in the laser trap thing.

Your usual "we're going to set a bomb and leave" villain tactic. Too bad the real world isn't this nice.

Sam - "Alex you are a genius!" Alex – "I am?" This is a TS meme. It appeared in a lot of episodes.

Nice shot of Sam and Alex on their knees in the mud after getting thrown by the explosion. XD

There's a lot more pink in gadgets and stuff in the earlier seasons. Seems like they phased that out after the move to Cartoon Network with Season 3.

Nice action scene with them sliding down the ropes.

Alex's gun looks like a Super Soaker. It also has a cartoony electric eel in it. I must have missed the part where it's explained why Nikita has all these kooky scifi gadgets.

Totally yuri-rific shot of Tasara tackling Alex to save her from being hit by the flying net.

The robo-strength gloves Clover uses here are pretty cool and memorable.

The guy that picks up and throws Clover definitely gets some grope action the for a split second. XD

That guy's response to being hit by the laser in the asa was certainly very pleasurable. LOL.

LOL at Alex with the earthquake generator.

LOL at the gliders that Nikita and the King of Kenopia get on. They look like something out of G.I. Joe.

All the strange gadgets the badguys had certainly helped kick this episode up a notch.

That WOOHP chopper is actually pretty bad ass.

Ok, Tasara went to the peace conference. Doesn't make much sense since the King of Kenopia was fighting her in that earlier scene, but we'll let that slide. Lol

LOL at Arnold's blimp for Clover. He's definitely looking forward to his payoff.

And Clover wins. Booooooooooooooooo!

I can't believe you lost either Mandy! Booo!

Just watched it in slow-motion. When the cheerleaders are chanting for Clover, you can see their panties when they lift their knees and then a nice shot of their asses when they switch legs. LOL. The animators obviously had fun with that part.

Random Clover hugging Sam and Alex moment.

Clover says she wants to make Sam and Alex her servants after she's queen. Definitely want to see that. a11.gif

Nice partial-upskirt shot of Mandy kicking her legs while she's on the buff jock's arm when he asks Clover out. Is this her boyfriend or something?

And Arnold gets laid after homecoming. Good for him. XD

The cheerleaders shot repeats again with the same panty shots as before. There's also a random girl in the background with Chun-Li style ox-horns in her hair.

Clover walks out holding Arnold's hand with a "Help!" sign. There are two hearts printed on Clover's ass on the pair of pants she's wearing. The Tribe Called Quest guy and an Alex clone appear in the hallway.

Sam – "Every queen needs a king." So not true. Mandy also seems rather pissed at that jock she's still holding onto.

Edit: One more note, apparently "Queen for a Day" is also the name of an ancient black and white TV show.

Overall:

Classic episode! Although the main plot and subplot seem a little cliché, they were both executed in very entertaining ways. Good action, sexy one-shot characters, interesting gadgets, and lots of funny moments. This episode still holds up quite well! Lots of fun all around!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stasis Muffin
post Jan 25 2012, 10:34 AM
Post #2

Spyssassin II
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 136
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Muffy x Stacy
Favorite Musician(s): Hannah Montana

Cool to finally have this topic. Gee, Syxx, you went really in-depth with this one. You went a little too in-depth in parts, lol. You were a little pervy after all, lol.

I kind of forgot about the Homecoming Queen thing too. But I do remember being annoyed at Arnold. I think Clover was kind of using him, but he was just...annoying in this episode. And you are right, every Queen certainly does not need a king. She can rule on her own, or have a fellow Queen!

Queen Tassara was pretty neat, would have liked to see her again actually.

I have a bad memory of this episode. I watched in on the Cartoon Network Video site (before they took TS! off of it. RAGE) and there was this one part that just would NOT load properly. "There it is, just like Tassara said." I think Alex said that, it was the scene before it failed to load and got stuck, I saw it like 20 times trying to get it to work, so I had that scene stuck in my head for a while. I eventually saw the whole thing somehow, don't remember.

Anyway, you need to do some screenshots from this episode! Here's some I have saved (probably from WOOHP).

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

"From the halls of gorgeous Pep House, sisters bond and share; we've got spirit, pep, and good taste, not to mention awesome hair!"

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Jan 25 2012, 10:53 AM
Post #3

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Stasis Muffin @ Jan 25 2012, 04:34 AM) *
Gee, Syxx, you went really in-depth with this one. You went a little too in-depth in parts, lol. You were a little pervy after all, lol.

Yup, but I thought I would give it to everyone raw with my stream of consciousness, instead of holding back at all. Viewing TS from a pervy point of is also fun too and not something you would see at the other forums where the people in charge are kind of stuck up. So I thought I would just mention everything I noticed that fed into that angle of viewing TS. lol

But yes, I'm a very simple minded person. XD

I kind of forgot about the Homecoming Queen thing too. But I do remember being annoyed at Arnold. I think Clover was kind of using him, but he was just...annoying in this episode. And you are right, every Queen certainly does not need a king. She can rule on her own, or have a fellow Queen!

I actually liked Arnold in this episode a lot more than his other appearances. I don't blame him for trying to get some alone time with Clover either, especially after how she dissed him earlier in the episode.

There's an anime with the subtitle, "A Pair of Queens," with the lesbian connotation. It's the second season to Space Pirate Mito. One of the queens is actually a boy that was transformed into a girl in the earlier season. Pretty fun show. There's even a bratty lesbian Mandy-type character. lol

Queen Tassara was pretty neat, would have liked to see her again actually.

Same.

I have a bad memory of this episode. I watched in on the Cartoon Network Video site (before they took TS! off of it. RAGE) and there was this one part that just would NOT load properly. "There it is, just like Tassara said." I think Alex said that, it was the scene before it failed to load and got stuck, I saw it like 20 times trying to get it to work, so I had that scene stuck in my head for a while. I eventually saw the whole thing somehow, don't remember.

Well, it is on youtube. I think it's a DVD rip and not the broadcast version (which is sometimes different). I don't remember that dialogue though.

Anyway, you need to do some screenshots from this episode! Here's some I have saved (probably from WOOHP).

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Nice finds, and all three of these are mentioned in my commentary. XD

+Quote Post
Mezoroth
post Jan 25 2012, 10:09 PM
Post #4

Dangerously close to doing "The Voice"
Group Icon

Member No.: 15
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Them Luxe Cousins, or Mandy and Yvette lol
Favorite Anime: Geass, Bamboo Blades, Sailah Moonz
Favorite Manga: Hajime Ippo, Bamboo Blades
Favorite Comic: Empowered, Deadpool & Cable, Dylan Dog
Favorite Book: Zombie Survival Guide
Favorite Game: GTA, SF, Mystical Ninja starring Goemon, Yakuzas

I'll come back with a full reply later, but this was a good read mr Syxx. And there are a few things for me to check out later that I missed all times ice watched this ep.
Also, I'll tack in a MEZ LORE drop about Lyrobia's (and Kenopia) significance in Mez canon, and just WTF Sagat has to do with it all...

When she raises her head in front of his crotch at the window is a little suggestive too. But the angle isn't good enough for a suggestive screenshot I think.

This hit me too 10 yrs back, when I first saw this. Even before my mind was guttered, it pinged as a "uh...did they intend for that to happen?"

Mandy's homecoming queen commercial is one of the greatest things ever. I love her little jingle. "Clover is so over. It's Mandy who's dandy." The anti-Clover graphic is also great. I think I put that in "Mandy Puzzles" in the arcade.

Their two jingles are stuck in my subconcious. I hear Mandy's and Clover's slogans in many TS trains of thought.

I like Sam's thigh high stockings here. Also, is it just me or does Alex have two hearts on her ass in that outfit? XD The plunging back of it showing off some skin is also quite nice. Xd

Yeah, there's a reason I liked Sam and Mandy back when I first started watching the show. :3

Lyrobia is said by Jerry to be in northern Africa. So yeah, it definitely seems related to Libya.

I think I placed it closer to central-east Africa when I was younger, probably because I grabbed "Kenopia" as 'oh, Kenya' and didn't really know where Lybia was.

Tasara's sister, Nikita, is pretty hot as well. Suddenly, the idea of sis-cest between them popped into my head. XD There's at least a cute shot of them hugging.

I have a Mikida in Soul Caliber 3. tongue.gif
Also, her name is still kind of a gray area. I always heard and spelled Mikida, Metro said it was a diff spelling from what I had, and Syxx has Nikita. I don't remember if I close captioned this ep to get the spelling back in the day. I really wonder what the official spelling was supposed to be. XD

There's a lot more pink in gadgets and stuff in the earlier seasons. Seems like they phased that out after the move to Cartoon Network with Season 3.

That's true. Like they adjusted the overall color pallette to appeal to their newly established audience. I don't think any vehicles in 3 and up were washed in pink like they were in season 1. The RATVAT and that fucking bulbous sub in Spy vs Spy were pretty offensively pink. XD

That guy's response to being hit by the laser in the as was certainly very pleasurable. LOL.

I never understood what the fuck was going on in that sequence. He gets lasered, feels good man, then he's like on top of a tank when Clover taunts him. With no reason as to how he appeared on it. But meh, this was one of the earlier animated episodes in season 1 I think...

LOL at the gliders that Nikita and the King of Kenopia get on. They look like something out of G.I. Joe.

Now that you mention it, yeah. Welcome to the 80s!
Also, I'll sperg a bit and note that I think that's actually Kenopia's general. That would prob explain why the two of them can get arrested and the peace conference still happens. Also I don't think would play into Mikida's idea of her becoming queen of both countries if he was still around.
Hell, I don't think the general would either. Uh, I think something dire would've happened to Mikida if her plan when through... O_O Get the whistle!

But yeah, the gadgets made the combat scene awesome. Also Sam's shootout with hose vs. gun and kicking the gas can is still impressive.

Just watched it in slow-motion. When the cheerleaders are chanting for Clover, you can see their panties when they lift their knees and then a nice shot of their asses when they switch legs. LOL. The animators obviously had fun with that part.

This I never noticed. I may have to check up on this, good sir. But if you found another instance of upskirt w/o "infinite leg syndrome", many props.

Nice partial-upskirt shot of Mandy kicking her legs while she's on the buff jock's arm when he asks Clover out. Is this her boyfriend or something?

Yes, he is. Marathon predicted that the Samdy pairing would take off, so inserted Biff to be Mandy's canonical boyfriend and sabotage everything you've worked for! MUAHAHA!
...No it's just some random jock. I don't think boyfriends were allowed in TS unless they were evil. For the almighty 'status quo' endings.

This is def a classic episode, and the very one that super got me into the series. At the point I saw it I had asimilated enough inserted characters and cameos for the first "TS game".

GOT IT COACH
Retsupurae
Arrange Stream (japanese)

Head Abbot of the Shrine of Princess Kimball since 2006
GASP! A character sketch for me?! Thanks Marathon! :3

The first step is admitting you have a problem...come obsess with me ;_;

+Quote Post
MasterHavik
post Jan 26 2012, 05:20 PM
Post #5

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Member No.: 453
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: AlexXSam
Favorite Anime: Lucky Star
Favorite Manga: High school of the Dead
Favorite Comic: X-men
Favorite Movie: Scott Pilgrim
Favorite Book: Gamer girl
Favorite Musician(s): Muse and Gorlliaz
Favorite Album: N/A
Favorite Game: Klonoa 2 Lunatea's veil

Wow...this one takes me back. Saw this one while I was in the 7th grade.

I don't give a fuck.

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Jan 26 2012, 10:55 PM
Post #6

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

I have a Mikida in Soul Caliber 3. tongue.gif
Also, her name is still kind of a gray area. I always heard and spelled Mikida, Metro said it was a diff spelling from what I had, and Syxx has Nikita. I don't remember if I close captioned this ep to get the spelling back in the day. I really wonder what the official spelling was supposed to be. XD

When I watched it, I heard an "N" name. I kind of assumed it was a reference to the famous French spy chick movie, Nikita.

I never understood what the fuck was going on in that sequence. He gets lasered, feels good man, then he's like on top of a tank when Clover taunts him. With no reason as to how he appeared on it. But meh, this was one of the earlier animated episodes in season 1 I think...

He acts like he just got in a hot tub or something. The weird thing though is he got the laser right in the ass. So maybe it's an attempt at sliding a dirty joke in there sort of like when the badguys take off their "nunchuck belts" in Season 2.

Also, I'll sperg a bit and note that I think that's actually Kenopia's general. That would prob explain why the two of them can get arrested and the peace conference still happens. Also I don't think would play into Mikida's idea of her becoming queen of both countries if he was still around.
Hell, I don't think the general would either. Uh, I think something dire would've happened to Mikida if her plan when through... O_O Get the whistle!

That would make slightly more sense. Whoever that guy is, he appears up on the view screen over Kenopia next to Queen Tasara and Lyrobia during Jerry's brief. He doesn't say who he is though. The screen, however, lists his name as "G. Bege."

Yes, he is. Marathon predicted that the Samandy pairing would take off, so inserted Biff to be Mandy's canonical boyfriend and sabotage everything you've worked for! MUAHAHA!
...No it's just some random jock. I don't think boyfriends were allowed in TS unless they were evil. For the almighty 'status quo' endings.

She seems extremely pissed off at him for asking out Clover, so there's something going on there.

I like the "rawness" of this episode though. Definitely has the feel of an episode they made early in the production.

+Quote Post
KodeBreaker
post Jan 27 2012, 08:17 AM
Post #7

We cry lethean tears
Group Icon

Group: Uber Mod
Member No.: 8
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Clover/Britney
Favorite Anime: Hellsing Ultimate
Favorite Manga: Dimension W
Favorite Book: Mr. Mercedes
Favorite Musician(s): KoRn
Favorite Album: The Serenity of Suffering

Nice commentary! I'll give a full reply tomorrow (when I have time) but for now, I'll just wait for my requested commentary. smile.gif

Can't we just be selfish for one more day...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 07:57 PM
Skin by Andrea

TSUG.net is a fan made website created in appreciation of Totally Spies. TSUG.net is not affiliated with the owners or creators of Totally Spies or its characters and settings. Totally Spies is owned by Marathon Animation Inc. This website was created just for informational purposes and for fun. This website has not been profited from in any way.