Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Game: Senran Kagura

OK, going to do a talkback since I just watched it. Not going to do a commentary, but I'll post a lot of my random thoughts anyways. Please keep spoilers for the thread for Part II, which I'll be doing later.

Very out of it right now, feel like I'm going to pass out almost, so I don't know how great my observations will be, but here are my thoughts.

I watched this using the auto-translated closed captions from the French on TSP's YouTube video.

I don't mind the opening. I think it's pretty good. I also have to say I like the song. It's got the crappy pop music vibe to it, but it's kind of fun, including the chanting aspects of it. Perfect for Totally Spies. I actually hope they keep this for the US broadcast instead of just throwing instrumental music in there again.

On a production value side of things, this episode obviously had a decent budget. All the backgrounds are magnificent and everything has great detail from what I can tell. However, it's hard to judge if the entire season will look this good since these two episodes were produced for the Versailles national palace/museum. Obviously, Marathon wouldn't be putting out something that looks like crap for the Palace.

And I think the fact it was made in conjunction with a national museum is definitely the driving force behind the feel of this episode. That and also the fact it's an hour long film cut in to two pieces.. This is a very slow paced TS episode. I think that generally relates back to the fact that the whole thing would obviously be shown to the kids at the museum as one film. With that in mind, it obviously affected the pacing a good deal.

Action scenes are also obviously toned down I think because they were shying away from showing violence for the same reason. So mostly got some chase scenes. I have no doubt this won't be the case for the rest of the season (there's fighting in the opening for one). If it has a watered down feel, that's the reason why. I can't really blame Marathon here for doing this since obviously it was a good opportunity for them regardless.

Despite that, there were some fun bits. I liked Mandy being chased by the statue. Very humorous. I like the fact the Just included an LOL. I also liked the bit about Mandy's chest on the plane. It makes little sense, but its vintage TS weird logic. I love how they cut a hole in the bottom of the plane and patched it up with a force field or something. I also think Mandy looked gorgeous in the period dress and hair-do. XD

As for the character designs, seems they went with something similar to Le Film. I don't think they're that bad. The main difference here is they're cuter in the face. Otherwise, they are sort of similar to the Season 1 and 2 character designs. I don't think sex appeal is absent either. They still have breasts after all. XD Maybe about the same size as they've always been. Not a lot of interesting shots of them from different angles and stuff yet, but I'm sure that will come later in other episodes.

I didn't see them going overboard on the "chibiness" so far. I liked when they went chibi. It was kind of fun, and draws some parallels back to when they went chibi in earlier seasons. TS is pretty anime-esqure regardless, so I don't see it as a big deal.

As for new characters, I like Professor Punkett a lot so far. He seems like he will be very entertaining. I haven't seen enough of Trent to get a take on him at all. Some of the students in their class also look like background characters that have appeared in earlier seasons, especially the girl with the thing on her head. The stewardess is probably also from past episodes.

Subtext wise, there's one obvious moment where Clover puts her hand on Alex's shoulder and gives her a suggestive glance telling her that they she agreed with her idea of showering and "resting." Pretty obvious. There was two very slight Mandy/Sam moments. Sam is sort of looking at Mandy on the plane (if she isn't just thinking about her crossword puzzle), and also she's the one who tells her to be quiet and that they will come back for her when she's knocked out, since Sam is always the one that shows concern for her safety. I know that's not much, but I'm a hardcore fan here. XD Mandy-icon.png heart1.gif Sam-icon.png

Jerry was also acting very fruity again, which I think reinforces my previous argument that he's not really completely straight. LOL.

I liked most of new cues I heard, including the Jaws like one for the giant spider chase scene. Some old cues also appeared I think as well. Due to the pacing of the episode, though, they probably couldn't use a ton of exciting music.

Overall, this episode lacked the off the wall spontaneity of previous TS episodes. But I just think that and it being kind of drawn out, was the result of this episode being made as a film for the museum. Obviously, they couldn't go totally nuts like they have for episodes from Season 1-5. However, I expect that feel to be back in the rest of the season. I will also be nice to know how the super, ultra, final ending of Season 5 is retconned. lol

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mezoroth
post Jun 24 2013, 07:51 PM
Post #2

Dangerously close to doing "The Voice"
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 15
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Them Luxe Cousins, or Mandy and Yvette lol
Favorite Anime: Geass, Bamboo Blades, Sailah Moonz
Favorite Manga: Hajime Ippo, Bamboo Blades
Favorite Comic: Empowered, Deadpool & Cable, Dylan Dog
Favorite Book: Zombie Survival Guide
Favorite Game: GTA, SF, Mystical Ninja starring Goemon, Yakuzas

Ill give this a more through reply after work, but since you mention background characters, dibs (phone auto corrects to "dubs". 4chan ruined me) on girl with purple beret. Mai backgroundfu.

Chelsea isn't coming back after seasons 3-4. Time to move on.

And I agree with you on Mr. Plunkett. Though I wonder if they'll trade his Italian accent for a French one in English.

GOT IT COACH
Retsupurae
Arrange Stream (japanese)

Head Abbot of the Shrine of Princess Kimball since 2006
GASP! A character sketch for me?! Thanks Marathon! :3

The first step is admitting you have a problem...come obsess with me ;_;

+Quote Post
T C
post Jun 24 2013, 10:01 PM
Post #3

Lackey

Member No.: 568
Favorite Character:

QUOTE (Syxx @ Jun 24 2013, 12:32 AM) *
I don't mind the opening. I think it's pretty good. I also have to say I like the song. It's got the crappy pop music vibe to it, but it's kind of fun, including the chanting aspects of it. Perfect for Totally Spies. I actually hope they keep this for the US broadcast instead of just throwing instrumental music in there again.

I think the new theme is growing on me. But they very well might replace the song for season 6 in the US and Canada like they did with season 5.
They might do something like that with season 6, just replace the intro with the one they've been using for the past 10+ years. But I think the problem with that is previous intro animations were very action-y and it matched the tone of the instrumental music. They had lots of gadgets being thrown, explosions, movements, etc. But I feel like the season 6 intro focuses a lot more on the girls' normal lives and only gets to the WOOHP stuff maybe 3/4ths into the intro.

I just played the season 6 intro with the Here We Go background music and it doesn't really get me hyped as much as Cartoon Network's seasons 1-2 intro, or the intros for seasons 3-5 :-/

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Jun 25 2013, 07:43 AM
Post #4

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

Another thing I forgot mentioning was I liked when Clover was commenting on how hot she thought the male statues were. LOL.

+Quote Post
Mezoroth
post Jun 25 2013, 08:26 AM
Post #5

Dangerously close to doing "The Voice"
Group Icon

Member No.: 15
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Them Luxe Cousins, or Mandy and Yvette lol
Favorite Anime: Geass, Bamboo Blades, Sailah Moonz
Favorite Manga: Hajime Ippo, Bamboo Blades
Favorite Comic: Empowered, Deadpool & Cable, Dylan Dog
Favorite Book: Zombie Survival Guide
Favorite Game: GTA, SF, Mystical Ninja starring Goemon, Yakuzas

QUOTE (Syxx @ Jun 25 2013, 03:43 AM) *
Another thing I forgot mentioning was I liked when Clover was commenting on how hot she thought the male statues were. LOL.

The one thing Clover hasn't? A god.
In the words of Neptune: "I'd sunder that"

GOT IT COACH
Retsupurae
Arrange Stream (japanese)

Head Abbot of the Shrine of Princess Kimball since 2006
GASP! A character sketch for me?! Thanks Marathon! :3

The first step is admitting you have a problem...come obsess with me ;_;

+Quote Post
justin
post Jun 25 2013, 09:12 AM
Post #6

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Member No.: 516
Favorite Character:

I watched this using the auto-translated closed captions from the French on TSP's YouTube video.

Now, thanks to Mezoroth who helped me correcting the subtitles, you'll be able to see with English subtitles smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aSuQRpoWbg

I liked Mandy being chased by the statue. Very humorous. I like the fact the Just included an LOL

Actually, I did add this "LOL" because that was the only scene I found really funny : when she crashes into a palm tree... laugh.gif Speaking of Mandy, I noticed her French voice had slightly changed, but I think it's due to her Marie-Antoinette way of speaking. On the video of part 2 : 2'15'' to 2'18'' when she says : "Comment osez-vous m'adresser la parole ?!"

Jerry was also acting very fruity again, which I think reinforces my previous argument that he's not really completely straight. LOL.

Speaking of this, I think he's straight : I watched "I Hate Eighties" and we see one of his older lovers, by the way he sings with her and it's kinda funny ^^
And also in the episode when Alex goes to the dolphin school in England, at one moment the Spies phone Jerry and we see him on a sofa with two girls in a very sexual position...

The problem here is that they make all chibi moments the same - no surprising funny faces - like crosses instead of eyes, widely open mouth with sharp teeth when going nuts, clover with really small eyes and flying in space when dreaming - these were fun, always different than previous chibi.

Personally I don't like chibi... :/ I think it's boring and makes the series more childish... I prefer when they do real funny or expressive faces like in the photo I uploaded. I also like when they have this small drop of water aside their heads, meaning they are embarassed or something... Do you know how we call this ? I can't manage to find examples of screenshots...

But I feel like the season 6 intro focuses a lot more on the girls' normal lives and only gets to the WOOHP stuff maybe 3/4ths into the intro.

Totally. I think that's why it's kinda boring. The seasons 1 and 2 opening was clearly the best...

I found an fanmade opening of season 6 with the French music and I admit it, I think they should've make the song slower : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS2y7GPpFWk

The one thing Clover hasn't? A god.
In the words of Neptune: "I'd sunder that"

laugh.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Jun 25 2013, 06:31 PM
Post #7

Queen Bee III
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

Now, thanks to Mezoroth who helped me correcting the subtitles, you'll be able to see with English subtitles smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aSuQRpoWbg

OK, thanks! I'll watch that again soon.

Speaking of this, I think he's straight : I watched "I Hate Eighties" and we see one of his older lovers, by the way he sings with her and it's kinda funny ^^
And also in the episode when Alex goes to the dolphin school in England, at one moment the Spies phone Jerry and we see him on a sofa with two girls in a very sexual position...

Doesn't matter, because every character in TS is bisexual. laugh.gif That's how the subtext works I think. Thus you have Clover commenting on the how the male statues are hot while telling Alex and Sam they should go have sex in this same episode. xD

One of the girls on the couch with him is Shirley, who doesn't seem very straight to me either and should have probably been in WOOHP prison at this point. LOL. So does that mean Jerry invited inmates to his party?

I would also note there's a shirtless guy walking around a horse at the party, which I think suggests something even worse in regards to what is going on there. laugh.gif

Personally I don't like chibi... :/ I think it's boring and makes the series more childish... I prefer when they do real funny or expressive faces like in the photo I uploaded. I also like when they have this small drop of water aside their heads, meaning they are embarassed or something... Do you know how we call this ? I can't manage to find examples of screenshots...

I don't think they're childish. I've watched some very mature anime with chibis in them. XD It's just very anime. The reaction "sweat drop" (that's what I call it, I don't know if it has an official name) and the bug eye gag in the screenshot are also directly from anime. If the show becomes slightly more like anime, I'm not really having a problem with that.

+Quote Post
T C
post Jun 25 2013, 08:47 PM
Post #8

Lackey

Member No.: 568
Favorite Character:

I don't have a problem with chibi, but I do have a problem with them only using chibi, and not some other varieties. They did use chibi a lot A LOT in this episode, maybe 4 times? They also included that one gag with the macaroon guy running across the screen with the girls though, which I enjoyed lol but I would have liked to see more variety so the chibi forms don't becomes shticky

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 07:56 PM
Skin by Andrea

TSUG.net is a fan made website created in appreciation of Totally Spies. TSUG.net is not affiliated with the owners or creators of Totally Spies or its characters and settings. Totally Spies is owned by Marathon Animation Inc. This website was created just for informational purposes and for fun. This website has not been profited from in any way.