Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Manga: Hayate X Blade
Favorite Movie: Tenebre
Favorite Musician(s): Goblin

Ok, this just aired on CN. Umm, wow. I had actually been avoiding watching this episode arc due to bad things I had heard aobut it. Can't say I diagree all too much about what I heard.

Things I liked

I thought the Mall Rat is an amusing idea for a villain. He was barely in the episode though. Um, nothing else is coming to mind right now.

Things I Disliked

Well first of all, Clover yapping about marriage to a guy shew knew for a week was both a bit disturbing and seemilgly completley OOC for Clover. This makes me dislike here even more now, that all you have to do to marry her is like the exact same crap she likes seemingly. O__O I guess Blaine is good looking, but how much more good looking is he than the other 10,000 guys she dated?

Second thing and what really irked me, is Blaine basically tries to assinate her ala a hidden bomb like an Italian gangster, and she forgives him at the end of the episode, acts like nothing happened, and is back to calling him petnames and crap at the end of the episode. I mean holy shit come on. And everyone says he's not a "bad spy" apparently becuase he didn't know who his boss was???? WTF?

So killing people is ok and makes you a good person as long as you don't know who you're working for. This has to be one the biggest WTFs in logic in TS I have seen yet. And worse it's an annoying WTF logic. I'm not like one of those dorks who doesn't want to see female characters in shows I like hooked up with dudes because of jealousy or anything, but I honestly think Marathon tries on purpose to make the main heart throbs in this show annoying as fuck. I mean he wasn't even a double agent, he's a fucking assassin for hire, yet everyone condones that at the end and Sam and Alex want to give them alone time so they can make out on the beach. Uhg >_<

Yuri/Yaoi Moments

There was one two person dog pile with Alex landing ontop of Sam, landing on her lap with face towards her boobage. XD It was at least screenshot worthy.

I thought they would maybe play up the Alex/Sam getting super jealous of Blain angle like they have in previous episodes like Matchmaker, but they really didn't bother. Opportunity lost.

Homages

Obvious reference to "10 Things I Hate About You" with "10 Things I Love About You But Want to Change." I actually saw this film in theaters. I fucking despise it. What's annoying is I sometimes hear people referring to this as haivng been a good movie. It sucks dick even for a wanna be hip pseudo chick flick date movie.

WOOHPTanic. I think this was the only thing in the episode I actually found amusing.

Blaine's capture is reminiscent of the capture of the badguys in Superman 2. Too bad he didn't break all his bones and die.

I really have nothing else to add. Just, ugh.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LauraD
post Apr 30 2010, 08:42 PM
Post #2

"Don't touch that dial!"
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Samdy
Favorite Anime: NGE, Dirty Pair, Lucky Star
Favorite Comic: Preacher, The Boys
Favorite Movie: Tenebre, Naked Lunch
Favorite Book: Ubik
Favorite Musician(s): The Damned, Clash, PIL
Favorite Album: 'Give Daddy The Knife, Cindy' - Naz Nomad

Overall, this WAS a pretty craptastic episode, only saved in the slightest by a few funny one-liners such as Clover referring to Mall Rat: "See? That's what happens when you don't plan ahead - you wind up as a weird single guy in a rat suit." Or Alex's line - "That really brings out the sewer in your eyes."

Blaine = Laime

You hit the proverbial nail on the head Mr. Syxx. I mean seriously, how the HELL is it somehow ok that you tried to off someone - and when it's revealed that you were working for an unknown party who misled you, then all is forgiven. Spleesh! Having seen the screenshots for an upcoming episode, I already know where the non-ending of this is going, but it still ranks up there as one of the most F'd up endings I've seen yet.

The bombing DID produce one lulzy line though, when Clover says: "When Blaine said he wanted to take me out, I thought he meant on a date!"

So generally, yeah.. much suckitude in this one. I hope this isn't signaling worse to come, though I've heard that this is the case. (Already saw 'Totally Dunzo', so I know this is partially true at least.)

rating: 3/10

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
"If crazy was pajamas I'd be in bed already."

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Apr 30 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #3

Straight from the Underground
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

One more thing I want to add is that Clover is displayed as being so incredibly shallow that she can still stay in love with a guy who turns out to be a total fraud who lied about all the things that made her fall in love with him in the first place. It was just pathetic.

So generally, yeah.. much suckitude in this one. I hope this isn't signaling worse to come, though I've heard that this is the case. (Already saw 'Totally Dunzo', so I know this is partially true at least.)

Well, I skipped Totally Dunzo and the rest of the Blaine arc, but I can say I did enjoy all the other episodes I watched. While Season 5 does have a few stinkers, I can say over all there's plenty of great, fun episodes in the true spirit of TS we enjoyed from previous seasonss.

+Quote Post
GrandMasterGalva...
post Apr 30 2010, 11:41 PM
Post #4

This is the end for you!
Group Icon

Member No.: 13
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Britney X Me
Favorite Anime: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Favorite Comic: Sonic the Hedgehog/Sonic Universe
Favorite Game: Destiny

It's my turn now!

Just watched the West Coast feed. Thoughts are overall the same as the first watch.

*This episode has made me appreciate Andrea Baker even more as a voice actress. No matter the emotion, Clover's voice is always a joy to listen to.
*Using Baby Come to Me as a love theme for Clover and Blaine is all kinds of win. Someone at Marathon has good taste.
*Blaine totally wasn't copping a feel when kidnapping Clover in the mall. Totally.
*I rather like the chemistry between Clover and Blaine. Throughout all the drama, you can tell they wanna bang each other. Then again, knowing Clover, they probably did off screen XD
*I didn't think of Blaine as a hired assassin before Syxx's post, but the shoe totally fits. That's an interesting kind of character to have. Come to think of it, I can't recall if it's ever been shown if the girls are willing to kill for the sake of a mission.

*at least a half hour later, left to the store*

Now I can't think of anything else. I ought to do these while watching. XD

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post May 1 2010, 01:01 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Favorite Character:

I think they refer to him as an assassin in dialogue. And while I'm definitely not one of those douchebags who complains about cartoons ever being a bad influence on anyone, I gotta think the idea of getting back with the guy who lied to you and tried to kill you isn't exactly that great of a message. It's at least pretty moronic writing. I also think Marathon was trying to create some kind of chemistry between them as rivals there for a second, or Blaine as a badboy or some bullshit, but it just fucking failed hard.

I'm gonna now deem this as the worst TS episode I've ever seen. Even worse than Future Shock. XD

+Quote Post
GrandMasterGalva...
post May 1 2010, 08:42 AM
Post #6

This is the end for you!
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (J-Syxx @ Apr 30 2010, 09:01 PM) *
I gotta think the idea of getting back with the guy who lied to you and tried to kill you isn't exactly that great of a message.

I'm gonna now deem this as the worst TS episode I've ever seen. Even worse than Future Shock. XD

Oh believe me, if you think that message is bad, there's an even worse one made by the end of the season. Granted, you have to read between the lines for it, but still.

As for this being the worst episode, well, that'll change if you ever see the finale XD

+Quote Post
CrowSama
post May 1 2010, 01:27 PM
Post #7

Love doesn't have to be scary...
Group Icon

Member No.: 75
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Suzuna/Nozomi
Favorite Anime: Naruto, Pokemon, Bakugan
Favorite Manga: Strawberry Panic!
Favorite Comic: Yu+Me= Dream
Favorite Movie: House Bunny, Mean Girls, The Simpsons Movie
Favorite Book: The Host by Stephanie Meyer
Favorite Musician(s): deadmau5
Favorite Game: Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure

The finale can't be that bad... oh wait, yeah... yeah okay, it can be pretty bad when I think about it XD But still, you have to remember this is a cartoon thats directed at preteens and younger... kinda like High School Musical... its just another attempt to try and make High School seem better that whatever level of schooling they're at now (I dont know about you guys but I hated 5th-8th grade) so they'll actually work and improve the united states education level... wow I think to much. They just hide it ><

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post May 1 2010, 04:42 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (CrowSama @ May 1 2010, 02:27 PM) *
The finale can't be that bad... oh wait, yeah... yeah okay, it can be pretty bad when I think about it XD But still, you have to remember this is a cartoon thats directed at preteens and younger... kinda like High School Musical... its just another attempt to try and make High School seem better that whatever level of schooling they're at now (I dont know about you guys but I hated 5th-8th grade) so they'll actually work and improve the united states education level... wow I think to much. They just hide it ><

They're in college now. XD Part of Totally Spies being good is how utterly ridiculous it is, but yeah I definitely think they could try harder sometimes.

+Quote Post
Mezoroth
post May 3 2010, 07:17 PM
Post #9

Dangerously close to doing "The Voice"
Group Icon

Member No.: 15
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Them Luxe Cousins, or Mandy and Yvette lol
Favorite Anime: Geass, Bamboo Blades, Sailah Moonz
Favorite Manga: Hajime Ippo, Bamboo Blades
Favorite Comic: Empowered, Deadpool & Cable, Dylan Dog
Favorite Book: Zombie Survival Guide
Favorite Game: GTA, SF, Mystical Ninja starring Goemon, Yakuzas

Wow i hate my phones delete key :/
Anyway, never thought of Blaine as a hired assassin, but now that you bring it up, thats some badass points there.
Yeah, Blaine is Blaine, but at the same time hes the most tolerable bishie in the series for me. Maybe cuz I used his arc to develop a cloak-and-daggerish "my employer hired me through the man who killed my father" backstory.
But thats just me. From a more nuetral point cant say I'd like this one without Mez-canon TS

GOT IT COACH
Retsupurae
Arrange Stream (japanese)

Head Abbot of the Shrine of Princess Kimball since 2006
GASP! A character sketch for me?! Thanks Marathon! :3

The first step is admitting you have a problem...come obsess with me ;_;

+Quote Post
ErikBigCloverFan
post Jul 22 2010, 10:46 PM
Post #10

Wannabe

Member No.: 41
Favorite Character:

Here are my thoughts on this episode:

1. I really loved Clover's dream sequence where she matties Blaine! I thought it was nice that he told her he dreamt the same way about her.

2. Although it was scary to see Clover get tied up by a henchman in the process, I thought their battle against Mall Rat went pretty well

3. I thought Clover's scale replica of her future wedding to Blaine looked so cute. I also felt it was nice to see her have brunch with him.

4. I really wanted to cry with Clover when Sam & Alex made her realize that Blaine was the henchman who tied her up earlier and tried to kill her with an exploding picnic basket during brunch!

5. Although the battle between Blaine & Clover WAS exciting, I was surprised that they each thought the other was an evil spy!

6. During the high-speed jet-ski chase, I really loved Clover's expression when she saw him fly through the air!

7. It was funny the way Blaine looked inside that WOOHP lunchbox when Clover caught him! I'm sure glad Jerry explained everything to them after he released Blaine.

8. I really loved seeing Blaine & Clover forgive each other. They STILL make a fantastic couple!

Pretty good ep. 4 stars.

[

+Quote Post
Stasis Muffin
post Jul 23 2010, 10:35 AM
Post #11

Spyssassin II
Group Icon

Member No.: 136
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Muffy x Stacy
Favorite Musician(s): Hannah Montana

I'm not sure what to think about Blaine. I really do like Clover, so I'd want her to be with the best available, and the idea of her liking a liar who tried to kill her bothers me, somehow...them being together doesn't bother me...much. Well...at least he actually is cuter than most of the guys the Spies get a crush on...(like Dean for example)

Maybe Blaine ended up liking the stuff that Clover does anyway? Maybe after this episode he starts shoe-shopping and watching romantic comedies...you never know!

Anyway, I like how the name of the episode is a reference to a Season 1 episode. (that's why 'Another' is there!) Blaine sure beats the dude in that episode, if I recall correctly (although I may not, I haven't seen anything from Season 1 in quite a while)

"From the halls of gorgeous Pep House, sisters bond and share; we've got spirit, pep, and good taste, not to mention awesome hair!"

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

+Quote Post
GrandMasterGalva...
post Jul 24 2010, 04:32 AM
Post #12

This is the end for you!
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

To be frank, while I wouldn't put it past the girls for being mad at Blaine for all the lying, it would still be EXTREMELY hypocritical of them to do so. After all, for all intents and purposes, they've been professional liars/backstabbers for years. That's what a spy does, after all.

Though it makes one wonder how far they've had to go for info in the past :V

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Jul 24 2010, 05:13 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (GrandMasterGalvatron @ Jul 24 2010, 05:32 AM) *
To be frank, while I wouldn't put it past the girls for being mad at Blaine for all the lying, it would still be EXTREMELY hypocritical of them to do so. After all, for all intents and purposes, they've been professional liars/backstabbers for years. That's what a spy does, after all.

Though it makes one wonder how far they've had to go for info in the past :V

I don't agree with this at all. SAC are basically super heroes. They fight for the common good. They also don't kill people. This is why Blaine is a piece of crap. He was hired to off someone just because a sketchy mystery employer said she was bad and offered him money. I just kinda think the writers really didn't think this one through hard enough.

+Quote Post
GrandMasterGalva...
post Jul 24 2010, 06:03 AM
Post #14

This is the end for you!
Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (J-Syxx @ Jul 24 2010, 01:13 AM) *
I don't agree with this at all. SAC are basically super heroes. They fight for the common good. They also don't kill people. This is why Blaine is a piece of crap. He was hired to off someone just because a sketchy mystery employer said she was bad and offered him money. I just kinda think the writers really didn't think this one through hard enough.

Yes they are Heroes, but as spies or better yet, undercover agents, they by definition have to take morally ambiguous and frankly outright shady routes to reach their goal. Being a copious liar is pretty much in the job description. Granted, while I doubt the show would never stray too far into this territory, as it's pretty heavy (and thus makes the fact that Blaine is a freelance assassin all the more astounding) I doubt that either of the girls would have serious reservations about if if they were forced to kill for the greater good (In fact, I do believe that there HAVE been several villains that have died in battle). In fact, I'd go as far as to say that just like a member of the Armed Forces, that's a risk they have to take, and they very well know it. The show's just far to juvenile to cover such a subject.

EDIT: Oh, and what you outline with Blaine is fairly common in these works. In fact, Blaine's situation mirrors Silver's from the Sonic games, although without the Time Travel. Just replace Blaine with Silver, Geraldine with Mephiles, Clover with Sonic, and insert a slightly more desperate motivation to kill the hero character, and you're telling the same story all over again.

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Jul 24 2010, 07:12 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (GrandMasterGalvatron @ Jul 24 2010, 07:03 AM) *
QUOTE (J-Syxx @ Jul 24 2010, 01:13 AM) *

Yes they are Heroes, but as spies or better yet, undercover agents, they by definition have to take morally ambiguous and frankly outright shady routes to reach their goal. Being a copious liar is pretty much in the job description. Granted, while I doubt the show would never stray too far into this territory, as it's pretty heavy (and thus makes the fact that Blaine is a freelance assassin all the more astounding) I doubt that either of the girls would have serious reservations about if if they were forced to kill for the greater good (In fact, I do believe that there HAVE been several villains that have died in battle). In fact, I'd go as far as to say that just like a member of the Armed Forces, that's a risk they have to take, and they very well know it. The show's just far to juvenile to cover such a subject.

EDIT: Oh, and what you outline with Blaine is fairly common in these works. In fact, Blaine's situation mirrors Silver's from the Sonic games, although without the Time Travel. Just replace Blaine with Silver, Geraldine with Mephiles, Clover with Sonic, and insert a slightly more desperate motivation to kill the hero character, and you're telling the same story all over again.

Using cover is one thing, but killing people is something else. That would definitely be OOC for them. Alex doesn't even like harming animals. Sam is very "socially aware" (she's a goody two shoes). And as morally bankrupt as Clover is, even she wouldn't do that. I just don't see that at all. They may straddle the line a bit being spies, but not to that extent. They fight "baddies." They're not going to use tactics that are that immoral. The only time a villain has (maybe) died on TS was during inadvertent accidents that were the villain's own fault (the Cockroach King and Dr. Gilee, those are the only ones I can recall).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 09:44 PM
Skin by Andrea

TSUG.net is a fan made website created in appreciation of Totally Spies. TSUG.net is not affiliated with the owners or creators of Totally Spies or its characters and settings. Totally Spies is owned by Marathon Animation Inc. This website was created just for informational purposes and for fun. This website has not been profited from in any way.