Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Manga: Hayate X Blade
Favorite Movie: Tenebre
Favorite Musician(s): Goblin

I have to say I liked this episode. On the surface, it kind of recycles the plot from The Incredible Bulk and a few other episodes, but the whole dating and unrequited love angle definitley helped make it a lot more interesting to me.

Things I Liked

Definitley liked the Virgil x Alex subplot. I have to say I feel for the guy and can certainly relate to him. Also gotta feel for him that a lot of the stuff that went wrong in the restaruant wasn't his fault. XD I like the fact that Alex gave him another chance at the end of the episode.

Things I Didn't Like

Some serious plot recycling from earlier episodes, but again not a huge deal for me due to the more interesting b-plot.

Yuri/Yaoi Moments

The opening scene with the nerd talking to his Humungo Man poster definitely puts over the homoerotic nature of male superheroes. XD

There was one moment where Clover and Sam are floating next to eachother smiling stupidly, and Alex has to snap them out of it. XD

There was also another moment where Sam and Clover go chibi and make noises with their lips as hearts fly by in the background. Almost seemed like kissing to me. XD

Clover's Sex in the City

Clover wanted to have a billboard of herself so everyone in campus could see it and open up her dating options. Maybe she wants to date every guy on campus. XD

Jerry's Voyeruristic Adventures in Perversion

Jerry WOOHPs Sam out of their bathroom. Enough Said. XD

Other Fanservice Things

Apparently, in my last commentary I thought the sign for the torpedo resturant looked like a big pink vibrator. I didn't notice it watching this time, but I'll have to check this out again later. XD

Sam - "Wow nice toss, Alex!" Ok, maybe this one was accidental. XD

Other Shipping Things/Things for Discussion

It's kinda crazy that Alex went on a date with her boss. XD You could maybe see an argument agaisnt sexual harassment with some of this especially him giving her the car, but I really have no problem with this.

References

Clover referenced Normy as having a Humungo Man action figure I believe, although she only referred to him as her nephew.

Reference to the Incredible Hulks ability to hit the ground with two fists and create a mini earth quake.

Previous Commentary Dated August 16 2009, 03:12 PM

Ok, gonna watch this Season 5 episode now and do a running commentary:

Just gotta say, wow, I wish I had a bedroom that big. XD

Humungo Man sounds like a rather homoerotic super-hero.

This plot already seems reminiscent of the Arnold gets super powers episodes. Ugh.

Interesting secret hand-shake between Sam and Clover. O__O

I still don't understand why they have jobs at this cafe. They're freaking loaded.

So for being the employee of the month you get an eco-friendly car that runs on coffee beans. Pretty big perk for being a waitress. I wonder if they make 6 figures working there. XD

Jesus, Alex shooting down her boss, Verg, was harsh even after he got those restaurant opening tickets. Poor dude.

Ok, she's going out with him anyways. lol

The sign for the torpedo restaurant looks like a big pink vibrator. XDDD

Lol, Alex is so god-awful goofy.

Those appetizers actually look good to me. XD

The waiter has a flaming voice. There's been a lot of that post-Season 3.

Wow, Alex is allergic to kelp. XD More pointless transformation with Alex's bloated face.

LOL. I wish a restaurant like this really existed with the "hourly simulated torpedo blast" and everything.

Ouch, Virgil has been demoted to friend-zone. You know what most of the stuff that happened wasn't his fault.

"I'm such a loser." I really feel sorry for this guy. XD

WOOHPed out of their bathroom again. Yup, Jerry is a perv.

Honestly SAC actually caring about "employee of the month" is a bit of a stretch for me, but I guess there's a coffee-powered car and Clover getting more advertisement for her whoring business involved.

The Wind-Tunnel Blast 9000 Hair Dryer (and variants of it) has to be the most used gadget in the show. Either that or the Laser Lipstick.

I think Sam would be more likely to know about super-heroes, but maybe she only likes scifi. Random reference to Normy thrown in there, although she didn't use his name.

Random Clover/Alex hug.

The super-steroids thing is also recycled from season 3.

Alex - "Ow. Hard. Rock-hard." lol

I love yo-yos as weapons. Maybe because of Yo Noid! and the second TMNT movie. xD

Decent Sam chest shot while she's flying. lol

They did all that on a fifteen minute break? lol

LOL. Verg has discovered their secret. Not that they try too hard to hide it half the time.

This has become more interesting with this b-plot (or a-plot, I can't tell anymore XD).

Alex didn't seem that impressed by Virgil saving her life and juicing up.

Sam and Clover are getting suspicious after the second rescue.

The hitting the ground and creating an earth-quake thing was lifted from the Incredible Hulk.

The guy on the flask of super "juice" looks like Alex's bf from the Incredible Bulk.

Humungo Man to Jerry - "That's what you think, old-man!" lol

Clover - "I'm not mathematician, but its pretty clear two plus two equals Humungo Virgil!"

LOL at Jerry being pissed at them about losing the serum.

Alex - "Whoa, if I wasn't so weirded out, I might actually be flattered." Also Clover is randomly touching her. XD

Sam's transformation animation was interesting.

Wow, Humungo Man can sure toss cars rather easily.

LOL at the dog in that car he threw.

I'm sensing a Humungo Man vs. Humungo Virgil fight at some point. Still this show will end up with Virgil getting shot down again. I can smell it from a mile away. XD

Alex - "That's it, I draw the line at puppy-flinging!" lol

Sam - "Come on, girls, lets show him our muscles!" Interesting. lol

Wow, I was wrong. He was defeated by the hair-blower. Another simple resolution.

Uh oh, Humungo Virgil is pissed Humungo Man was getting Alex's attention.

LOL Sam and Clover being more concerned about getting fired and not getting employee of the month than fighting him.

Clover leaning on Sam to persuade her. lol

Lol at them both landing in tomatoes. I don't know why that amuses me.

Alex - "Fine, I'll give you another date. A super-sticky date to be exact." Wow. XD

Wow, that's a lot of dates. lol

Sam - "Wow nice toss, Alex!" Perhaps not the first time she's said that to her. XD

More brain-washing. God is WOOHP untrustworthy. lol

Jerry's "Hmmmm" after hearing about Alex's date with Virgil was creepy. lol

And Alex gets employee of the month so Virgil can continue to sexually harass her in the work-place. Hilarity ensues.

Umm, wow the chibi Clover and Sam making kissy faces and kissing sounds at each other with hearts was more than a little bit yuri. Glad they snuck in something. XD

Ok, so Virgil gets another date. Let's hope he gets laid.

Overall:

Another average episode with a rehashed plot (Incredible Bulk + the super-powered Arnold episodes). I did like the Alex dating her boss sub-plot and how it also ran into the mission plot, but still rather average. There wasn't also any fanservice other than the chibi yuri moment. Still, this show is more entertaining to me than pretty any other cartoon, but this is probably not one of the best episodes from Season 5.

Note: I like this episode more now like most Season 5 episodes I've rewatched on CN.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrandMasterGalva...
post May 22 2010, 01:44 AM
Post #2

This is the end for you!
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 13
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Britney X Me
Favorite Anime: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Favorite Comic: Sonic the Hedgehog/Sonic Universe
Favorite Game: Destiny

You'd think they'd have rules about inter-office romance or something. However rewatching it has made it a bit more clear why Alex won EOTM, since she was the only one doing something useful in that scene. Still he obviously wanted to hit it.

Also that outfit reminded me that Alex can be sexy when she wants to. Though definitely less so than in Seasons 1-2 I think. Probably something to do with that voice.

Also, the mention of Normy reminds me that Clover evidently does have a (presumably older) sibling. Interesting that this person has never been seen in the entirety of the series. Though with Norm's age, it makes me question how old Stella really is (or how possibly skanky said sibling might be)

+Quote Post
Stasis Muffin
post Aug 7 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #3

Spyssassin II
Group Icon

Member No.: 136
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Muffy x Stacy
Favorite Musician(s): Hannah Montana

You know, I liked Vergil a lot less after this episode. I mean, seriously, he put Alex in danger several times to try and impress her. He got the idea BEFORE he drank the stuff, so he was in sound mind and body when he got the idea. That's rather twisted. He was even intentionally trying to hurt her near the end of the episode, flinging cars and trees at her while Sam and Clover were arguing. And what's his punishment? A little memory wipe, yes, but also another chance for a date! It's like with Chet, he gets what he wants in the end despite putting people's lives in danger. I don't quite understand it. I know TS logic is fairly wack, but why some criminals get away with a small memory wipe and some are thrown in jail for lesser crimes bothers me. I did feel sorry for Vergil at first, when he called himself a loser, I don't think he was being a loser then, just a klutz...he was a loser when he endangered Alex's life to try and impress her.

Well, at least we got to see a buff guy wearing pink, usually interesting.

Did anyone else think the scene where Vergil finds out they were Spies was a little forced?
Alex: "Being Spies is fun, but sometimes it so interferes with over things!"
It's just too obvious and they rarely blurt out stuff that specific. Oh well.

I liked how Alex beat Vergil with super sticky dates..."Fine, I'll give you another date, a super sticky date to be exact!" Clever pun there. But still, a part of me wanted to see Alex get buff like in that one episode and beat up Vergil like that...gotta love buff Alex...

One last thing, that torpedo restaurant was interesting. Notice how when it "launches" everyone else's cups and plates stay firmly attached to their tables. I wonder how that works.

"From the halls of gorgeous Pep House, sisters bond and share; we've got spirit, pep, and good taste, not to mention awesome hair!"

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

+Quote Post
SpykyTurtle318
post May 8 2015, 06:41 AM
Post #4

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Member No.: 883
Favorite Character:
Favorite Anime: Totally Spies!
Favorite Game: Monopoly

QUOTE (Stasis Muffin @ Aug 7 2010, 06:59 AM) *
One last thing, that torpedo restaurant was interesting. Notice how when it "launches" everyone else's cups and plates stay firmly attached to their tables. I wonder how that works.

Velcro, possibly. Or more likely, strong magnets?

Anyone catch what the billboard that Humungo Man flew into said? XD

SpykyTurtle318

+Quote Post
SpykyTurtle318
post May 8 2015, 06:43 AM
Post #5

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Member No.: 883
Favorite Character:
Favorite Anime: Totally Spies!
Favorite Game: Monopoly

QUOTE (GrandMasterGalvatron @ May 21 2010, 08:44 PM) *
Also, the mention of Normy reminds me that Clover evidently does have a (presumably older) sibling. Interesting that this person has never been seen in the entirety of the series. Though with Norm's age, it makes me question how old Stella really is (or how possibly skanky said sibling might be)[/color]

Interesting. I don't remember that she has a sibling, lol, what episode is that from?

SpykyTurtle318

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 09:43 PM
Skin by Andrea

TSUG.net is a fan made website created in appreciation of Totally Spies. TSUG.net is not affiliated with the owners or creators of Totally Spies or its characters and settings. Totally Spies is owned by Marathon Animation Inc. This website was created just for informational purposes and for fun. This website has not been profited from in any way.