IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Totally Dunzo Part 1 Talkback (No Spoilers Please)
Ghidra
post May 28 2010, 08:22 PM
Post #1

Straight from the Underground
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Sam x Mandy
Favorite Anime: Ikkitousen
Favorite Manga: Hayate X Blade
Favorite Movie: Tenebre
Favorite Musician(s): Goblin

Ok, time for the talk back. I'm just going to cut to the chase here. XD

SAMANDY YURI MOMENTS

Yes, I don't care what anyone said about this episode earlier, but holy crap they threw Samandy fans a bone here. Once again Sam becomes extremely concerned for Mandy's health, running to her and calling her name and asking the other girls to help her. XD In fact she called out her name in concern twice I think. XD There was also another point where Sam put her hands on Mandy's shoulders. Sam also says that she liked the old Mandy more. Awww. Thank you Marathon!

Other Things I Liked

This episode definitely had a decent budget. The animation looked really good.

I don't mind the plot so much, even though it's kinda corny. XD Seeing them trying to go back to not being spies is always sort of interesting.

The b-plot of Mandy bonking her head and being nice to them of course is freaking awesome, imo. XD Any Mandy-centric episode like this will get high marks, especially when we see Mandy in new situations. I'm again not missing Mindy at all. Sorry, Mez.

No clear villain yet, other than the faceless Mr. X, but I did find the robots with the tentacle arms pretty cool.

Liked the really elaborate WOOHPing.

I liked Jerry being portrayed as a really old mama's boy. It's very amusing, and somehow very in character for him as well. XD

Things Not So Great

The plot is pretty derivatvie of S.P.I. But it's an interesting plot line, so I'll give them a break for using it twice.

Fanservice Things

Clover says something like, "Why are we more alone than Mandy on prom night?" Could interpret this as being she couldn't get a date, but my sexual innuendo detector definitely went off.

I liked the scene of them strutting down the street, all the guys swooning, and one guy's ice cream melting. XD

Weird Moment

I thought when Jerry WOOHPed them out of the plane without jetpack backpacks they were going to die. XD They landed in a tree though, but it still sorta seemed like a murder attempt.

References

The name Mr. X has been used before, particularly in the X-Files. It may be a reference. lol

The "evil gene" has been something else explored in other properties. Dario Argento's Cat O' Nine Tailes and Alien 3 come to mind. Usually it's a double Y chromosome I believe.

Over All

I don't really care about all the bad press this two-parter got. I really liked this episode. XD Best way to get me to like an episode? Samandy subtext. XD It's like they listened to me or something by throwing that in there. XD

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mezoroth
post May 28 2010, 09:52 PM
Post #2

Dangerously close to doing "The Voice"
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 15
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Them Luxe Cousins, or Mandy and Yvette lol
Favorite Anime: Geass, Bamboo Blades, Sailah Moonz
Favorite Manga: Hajime Ippo, Bamboo Blades
Favorite Comic: Empowered, Deadpool & Cable, Dylan Dog
Favorite Book: Zombie Survival Guide
Favorite Game: GTA, SF, Mystical Ninja starring Goemon, Yakuzas

Yeah i was thinking to myself today that you were going to love the b-plot. XD This is part one, and most grief is reserved for part 2, so it doesnt apply so much to this ep unless you count them both as one unit.
So enjoy this ep over the weekend, cuz when it resumes...I guess tues after the holiday, youll see what we're on about.

GOT IT COACH
Retsupurae
Arrange Stream (japanese)

Head Abbot of the Shrine of Princess Kimball since 2006
GASP! A character sketch for me?! Thanks Marathon! :3

The first step is admitting you have a problem...come obsess with me ;_;

+Quote Post
GrandMasterGalva...
post May 29 2010, 01:21 AM
Post #3

This is the end for you!
Group Icon

Member No.: 13
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Britney X Me
Favorite Anime: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Favorite Comic: Sonic the Hedgehog/Sonic Universe
Favorite Game: Destiny

This one alone isn't so offensive. It's when you lump it together with part two that it really begins to ask you to suspend disbelief way too much. I think I'll elaborate more on that then.

However, I did like the total middle finger Clover gave to Mandy by driving over the parking block. Also I'd have like some explanation. even a throwaway sentence as to where the hell Mindy is. Again, such wasted potential.

Another thing I liked was the use of Mandy's and Britney's season 1/2 themes. I think the former is a lot better than it's replacement.

Lastly, apparently Katie Griffin was Mindy's VA. I can't believe I didn't notice it until now

+Quote Post
Mezoroth
post May 31 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #4

Dangerously close to doing "The Voice"
Group Icon

Member No.: 15
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Them Luxe Cousins, or Mandy and Yvette lol
Favorite Anime: Geass, Bamboo Blades, Sailah Moonz
Favorite Manga: Hajime Ippo, Bamboo Blades
Favorite Comic: Empowered, Deadpool & Cable, Dylan Dog
Favorite Book: Zombie Survival Guide
Favorite Game: GTA, SF, Mystical Ninja starring Goemon, Yakuzas

^ So Katie Griffith is Mindeh? Did it state anywhere that she was or did it take some voice analysis of Mindy devotion to get it?
Basically the instructions for VAing Mindy are "exaggerate a southern accent until no one can tell who you are". That being the case, job well done Katie! :lol:

Well seing how Samdy is voiced by the same VA, guess anyone going for Alex x Mindy slash is now in luck. XD

As for Mindy's whereabouts in these eps, sheLs off fighting Khoushnood Butt or training under Adon, obviously. :3 Mez-canon plug FTW, lol.

GOT IT COACH
Retsupurae
Arrange Stream (japanese)

Head Abbot of the Shrine of Princess Kimball since 2006
GASP! A character sketch for me?! Thanks Marathon! :3

The first step is admitting you have a problem...come obsess with me ;_;

+Quote Post
GrandMasterGalva...
post May 31 2010, 09:07 PM
Post #5

This is the end for you!
Group Icon

Member No.: 13
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Britney X Me
Favorite Anime: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Favorite Comic: Sonic the Hedgehog/Sonic Universe
Favorite Game: Destiny

QUOTE (Mezoroth @ May 31 2010, 04:52 PM) *
^ So Katie Griffith is Mindeh? Did it state anywhere that she was or did it take some voice analysis of Mindy devotion to get it?

Something of the latter. Basically Alex mimicked a southern drawl and it was an identical voice. Granted, it could have been another screwup. There was a similar one in the previous episode.

One of these days, I'm gonna track down a Marathon staffer and ask about voice credits for both shows. Though I really wish they'd just add it in the credits like every other TV show

+Quote Post
Trillium
post May 31 2010, 09:43 PM
Post #6

Out Stranglin' Pixies.
Group Icon

Member No.: 3
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Milly x Kallen.
Favorite Anime: Noein
Favorite Musician(s): Fiat Lux, Jesper Kyd, Thomas Dolby
Favorite Album: Astronauts and Heretics.
Favorite Game: GTA: Vice City

QUOTE (Mezoroth @ May 31 2010, 04:52 PM) *
Well seing how Samdy is voiced by the same VA, guess anyone going for Alex x Mindy slash is now in luck. XD

Only Season 2 Alex x Mindy.

Season 1 Alex will not work.

Edit: Also C.H.A.D. is Commissioner Gordon.

Yeah, that's a rainbow unicorn. Big Woop. Wanna fight about it? My blog (which yeah, still has free music). But no rainbow unicorns. We need to fix that.

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Jul 7 2010, 08:07 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Favorite Character:

To expound on previous Samandy observations, I noticed on the second viewing that Sam actually winks at her at one point. Yes. XD sammys.gif heart1.gif mandygif.gif z03.gif

I still think this was a good episode by itsleef. That's ignoring Part II of course. lol

+Quote Post
Stasis Muffin
post Aug 14 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #8

Spyssassin II
Group Icon

Member No.: 136
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Muffy x Stacy
Favorite Musician(s): Hannah Montana

I really liked Mandy in this episode. Nice Mandy is an interesting change of pace, and I like how she still has that Mandyness to her even when she's being nice. She still has that laugh of hers, she's still obsessive, and she still has a tantrum when things don't go her way (after she cleans their Penthouse and they make her leave), on the other hand, the flashbacks of her doing random stuff to Alex, Sam, and Clover was quite amusing. I think the reason Mindy wasn't in this episode is because they would have to deal with her reaction to Mandy turning nice, and that would have made things more complicated.

I also liked when she had her arm around Alex...

I also liked when she had her arms around Alex and Clover and was almost making a kissy face at Sam...

Also, Clover randomly talking about Mandy and the Prom when they were flying in the air looking for a rogue fighter jet really goes with the idea that Clover is thinking about Mandy all the time.

The "Samdy"ness totally won out though, with Sam showing so much more concern for Mandy than the others, as J-Syxx already pointed out. When did she wink at her? I don't recall seeing that, and I don't see it on WOOHP.org (I really need to stop taking their screenshots)

Also, I think Mandy was upset when Sam pushed her out of the Penthouse because she wanted a "reward" for cleaning it. Don't forget that Mandy called her "Girlfriend!" mere moments earlier. (I know that's common, but I don't recall ever hearing it in Totally Spies!)

Anyway, back to Clover, why was she making kissy faces when she went into the shoe store? I know she was excited, but kissy faces? Speaking of the shoe store, "I just got 10 new pairs of shoes! I won't have to go shoe shopping for like, a week!"

"From the halls of gorgeous Pep House, sisters bond and share; we've got spirit, pep, and good taste, not to mention awesome hair!"

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Aug 14 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Favorite Character:

Also, Clover randomly talking about Mandy and the Prom when they were flying in the air looking for a rogue fighter jet really goes with the idea that Clover is thinking about Mandy all the time.

Plus she said, "lonlier than Mandy on prom night." You can kinda read that two ways again. Is she talking about the dance or what usually happens afterwards? XD

The "Samandy"ness totally won out though, with Sam showing so much more concern for Mandy than the others, as J-Syxx already pointed out. When did she wink at her? I don't recall seeing that, and I don't see it on WOOHP.org (I really need to stop taking their screenshots)

It happens, but you need to be watching for it to notice it. WOOHP definitely doesn't have all the screenshots for everything. I know because I uploaded them there, although I didn't actually take the Season 5 ones. By now I gotta think there's HD rips fromt he CN broadcast, so I'm going to need to look for those so I can do new shots.

And Sam caring about Mandy's well-being is a meme since Season 1 (Eraser). It definitley occurred in Season 3 (Halloween) and Season 4 (Mani Maniac Much) big time. I was of course extremely pleased to see it happen again. Definitely some of my favorite scenes in the show by far. XDDD Sam also always seems to be the one who wants to rescue here, while Clover and Alex always act unconcerned about doing it. Definitley think she has some feelings for her, although it's not something she would say out loud. Sam is also the only one out of the three that Mandy has a pet name for (Sammykins) and she sometimes seems very happy to see her in particular while getting rescued (Evil Coffee Shop Much and Ski Trip).

Also, I think Mandy was upset when Sam pushed her out of the Penthouse because she wanted a "reward" for cleaning it. Don't forget that Mandy called her "Girlfriend!" mere moments earlier. (I know that's common, but I don't recall ever hearing it in Totally Spies!)

They don't. XD I agree it was thrown in there for that kind of effect, although I think it may have been "girlfriends." The only other time I recall girlfriend being used was when Alex called Mandy that while she was riding her in Ski Trip. Another classic episode for that kinda stuff. xd

+Quote Post
Stasis Muffin
post Aug 15 2010, 11:32 AM
Post #10

Spyssassin II
Group Icon

Member No.: 136
Favorite Character:
Favorite Pairing: Muffy x Stacy
Favorite Musician(s): Hannah Montana

Are you trying to say that Mandy being alone on Prom Night means that she's...doing stuff with herself? I don't know if that's what Clover was talking about...and besides, even if Mandy didn't get a date to Prom, how would she be alone when she has her personal servants Catlin and Dominique obeying her every whim? Then again, Clover says "How come we are more alone than Mandy on Prom Night?" Clover says that to Sam and Alex...so maybe she's implying that Mandy was with one or two people on Prom Night (like...Catlin and Dominique...)

I was curious about this wink, and I went and watched every scene with Mandy in it on YouTube and was watching Sam's face closely, I didn't notice until watching one particular scene over a few times. I barely noticed it, and had to go back over the scene many times to capture it (pause it at the right time then print screen)
Attached Image

I was going to ask how you noticed it, because it's a mere fraction of a second, but then I thought, "Duh, it's a scene where Sam is touching Mandy, of course J-Syxx will notice!"
It's so suggestive now that I went back and watched that scene over. Sam says, "Thanks so much for everything Mandy, we'll be in touch." while winking at Mandy! Meanwhile Mandy's making a very curious face. Interesting little scene there...

And it really sound like Mandy said "Girlfriend" in singular form, and it was in response to something Sam said.

"From the halls of gorgeous Pep House, sisters bond and share; we've got spirit, pep, and good taste, not to mention awesome hair!"

TSUG Fanart Trophies:

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post Aug 15 2010, 04:11 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Favorite Character:

Are you trying to say that Mandy being alone on Prom Night means that she's...doing stuff with herself?

No. XDD I meant Clover was saying she didn't get laid on prom night. It's a diss by Clover. Doesn't mean it's true. It got by the censors because you could also interpret it as Clover saying she didn't have a date for the dance and stayed home. But I think it's a double entendre.

I was curious about this wink, and I went and watched every scene with Mandy in it on YouTube and was watching Sam's face closely, I didn't notice until watching one particular scene over a few times. I barely noticed it, and had to go back over the scene many times to capture it (pause it at the right time then print screen)

I was going to ask how you noticed it, because it's a mere fraction of a second, but then I thought, "Duh, it's a scene where Sam is touching Mandy, of course J-Syxx will notice!"
It's so suggestive now that I went back and watched that scene over. Sam says, "Thanks so much for everything Mandy, we'll be in touch." while winking at Mandy! Meanwhile Mandy's making a very curious face. Interesting little scene there...

Yeah, I was definitely paying attention after Sam put her hands on her. XD Thanks for actually getting the shot of it! XD And thanks for pointing out the dialogue as well. I didn't remember it being that slashy. a62.gif z03.gif a61.gif

And it really sound like Mandy said "Girlfriend" in singular form, and it was in response to something Sam said.

Holy shit, I checked it and you're right. And she was referring to Sam. XDD

+Quote Post
SpykyTurtle318
post May 10 2015, 05:37 AM
Post #12

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Member No.: 883
Favorite Character:
Favorite Anime: Totally Spies!
Favorite Game: Monopoly

QUOTE (J-Syxx @ May 28 2010, 03:22 PM) *
The "evil gene" has been something else explored in other properties. Dario Argento's Cat O' Nine Tailes and Alien 3 come to mind. Usually it's a double Y chromosome I believe.

A. . . double-Y?? Lol EXPLAIN PLS XD

SpykyTurtle318

+Quote Post
Ghidra
post May 10 2015, 06:07 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

Favorite Character:

QUOTE (SpykyTurtle318 @ May 10 2015, 12:37 AM) *

XX means you're born female. XY, you are born female. But some males are XYY. It has been suggested in science fiction that this can make people into serial killers. More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XYY_syndrome

+Quote Post
SpykyTurtle318
post May 10 2015, 07:30 AM
Post #14

Spy Chic
Group Icon

Member No.: 883
Favorite Character:
Favorite Anime: Totally Spies!
Favorite Game: Monopoly

QUOTE (Syxx @ May 10 2015, 01:07 AM) *
QUOTE (SpykyTurtle318 @ May 10 2015, 12:37 AM) *

XX means you're born female. XY, you are born female. But some males are XYY. It has been suggested in science fiction that this can make people into serial killers. More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XYY_syndrome

Wow, I've never heard of that before. Interesting!

SpykyTurtle318

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 09:45 PM
Skin by Andrea

TSUG.net is a fan made website created in appreciation of Totally Spies. TSUG.net is not affiliated with the owners or creators of Totally Spies or its characters and settings. Totally Spies is owned by Marathon Animation Inc. This website was created just for informational purposes and for fun. This website has not been profited from in any way.