Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who Is Your Favorite of the Three Main Spies?
Totally Spies Underground > Totally Spies > Totally Spies General Discussion
Ryofu
Well, we already have the favorite character thread. However, I thought it would be interesting to have another discussion but limit it to just Alex, Clover, and Sam. That way people who like Mandy, Britney, villains, and other characters can have some input on the three main spy gals as well.

For me, originally, my favorite was Alex. Her sweet and pretty clueless personality is very adorable. She is also extremely attractive. Definitely had a big cartoon-crush on her at some point. I like the fact that she's Latina, but the writers don't beat us over the head with her ethnic herritage. Not that referencing it would be bad, but she seems a lot more real than many ethnic characters do in other cartoons.

Alex's position as number one though was eclipsed by Sam. This of course started right after I started shipping Samandy (a61.gif heart1.gif a62.gif). Personally, I feel Sam is easily the best looking and sexiest of the three spies by a mile. I also like how she's the smartest of the three, the most strategic, and interested in things like acquiring knolwedge and activism. It gives her a good contrast from the the air-headed Alex and very shallow Clover. However, she is obviously very sweet and loves her friends very much. I think she is probably one of the deepest characters in the show.

Lastly, there is Clover. I used to kind of despise Clover, but she has grown on me more recently. I just kind of like how bad of a person she is and that she doesn't care about it at all. She's very much like Mandy. She's shallow, arrogant, self-centered, and greedy. However, unlike Mandy, she seems to be in complete denial. She also has one of the most rampant sex drives of any character I've ever seen and goes through boys like candy. All of these add together to make her very interesting and entertaining. I also like how her character is very un-PC. You would certainly never see someone like Kim Possible or any other female main character from this kind of cartoon act as ridiculous as Clover does. I give the writers plenty of points for that.

And of course, Totally Spies wouldn't be Totally Spies without the chemistry that exists between Alex, Clover, and Sam. I've really never seen a cartoon with such great chemistry between three female characters like that before. It really makes this show special.
NinjaNick101
I'm going to go with Alex. She's cute and attractive, yes. Sam is a not-so-distant second. She's smart and the best team player overall.
KodeBreaker
I used to have a crush on Alex, a while back, but Clover's far in front right now, and she's been my fav for a long while. a60.gif

I never really felt anything much for Sam, sadly. :/
Kira Yamato
My vote obviously goes to Sam. In fact, she was the responsible for introducing me in the TS universe. She is just a very complex and interesting character. Sam is not only smart and pretty (Nerds Are Sexy) but also manipulative and seductive. I would say that she is an intesection between the Manipulative Bastard and The Strategist. Indeed she suits very well in the Guile Hero trope. Sam can play the role of The Stoic, sometimes. Interestingly enough Sam seems to be crazy good on Xanatos Speed Chess. She is able to modify the event in her favor in a brilliant way. In addition, I really have a thing for Redheaded Heroes.

Alex occupies the second spot. Her Cheerful Child behaviour turns her a pretty cute girl. As Syxx correctly noted, her Ambiguously Brown nature makes her very attractive. Alex seems to exhibit some Dojikko tendencies, a fact that turns her even more Moe. Her driving skills are pretty much a source of comedy as well (Drives Like Crazy).

Finally we have Clover. I will be frank... I never really liked Clover that much. Perhaps I did not pay much attention to her because she is pretty much The Mario. Actually Clover suits in the Love It Or Hate It trope. Indeed most members of her fandom hate Sam, and vice-versa.

Clover seems to be a Depraved Bisexual as well as a Lovable Sex Maniac; indeed she provides a wide set of possibilities for the fandom Fetish Fuel Station Attendant ?). In addition, she exhibits The Seductress and Tsundere (Type A) tendencies.
Stasis Muffin
Initially, Alex was my favorite. I really liked how goofy she was at times.

Then after the show came back on (I don't remember why or when) Clover quickly became my favorite. I LOVE her hair (funny thing, long before ever seeing Totally Spies, I made a sort of "mascot" character that I draw in various outfits, and her hair looks a lot like Clover's...!) I like her outgoing and fairly bossy personality, and I always liked her "valley girl"-ness. I've always had a habit of saying "like" and "whatever" too much, and I even picked up some other valley girl "slang" from her when I was watching the show a lot. I also like how she's certainly not what you'd expect from one of the main heroines of a "kid's" show. Having one of the main characters so obsessed with fashion is also rarely done, and I think it's interesting. I also enjoy how much she clashes with Mandy, but in reality it's their similarities that make them argue! I just think she's interesting.

For a brief time, Sam was my favorite. Green is one of my favorite colors, and I like how she's the most level headed and manages to be a "nerd" without really seeming nerdy at all.

But then, Clover was my favorite again. Has been ever since. And I just love her name. I can see the names Alex or Sam in other places without immediately thinking of them, but whenever I see the word Clover I immediately think of Clover.
Ryofu
Looks like it's currently a tie between Samd and Clover. Some how, this is usually what happens. XD
NinjaNick101
And you almost typed Samandy. tongue.gif
Ryofu
QUOTE (NinjaNick101 @ Mar 25 2011, 05:31 PM) *
And you almost typed Samandy. tongue.gif

LOL. Obviously a freudian slip.
CrowSama
There, Crow just broke the tie, mainly because I didn't realize that there was a poll here lmao
GrandMasterGalvatron
I came in and ninja voted for Clover. She's basically the high maintenance yet badass trope that I love so much (Sonia, Rarity, etc)
SpyHunter29
Alex, cha! I've always had a thing for Ambiguously Brown (see, I can use wiki words too!) girls, going back to Nadia.
MetroNorthMallRat
Easily Clover <3

Followed by a very distant Alex

And Sam is nowhere to be found xD
KodeBreaker
Finally! Some justice! tongue.gif

j/k
ren shizu
Sam will always be my favorite. She has been good role model to me..xD
cloverfan
I obviously voted for Clover, she has always been my favourite, from the first time, I watched the show. I know some people would think she was shallow, self centred, and and a man eater, but when it comes to the crunch, she's a great team member. To be honest, I think if she was relplaced, the show would lose something special. clovergif.gif
amysorel12
Alex. Clover is kind of my second fav.
Nextstopplease
QUOTE (Ryofu @ Mar 20 2011, 02:50 AM) *
Well, we already have the favorite character thread. However, I thought it would be interesting to have another discussion but limit it to just Alex, Clover, and Sam. That way people who like Mandy, Britney, villains, and other characters can have some input on the three main spy gals as well.

For me, originally, my favorite was Alex. Her sweet and pretty clueless personality is very adorable. She is also extremely attractive. Definitely had a big cartoon-crush on her at some point. I like the fact that she's Latina, but the writers don't beat us over the head with her ethnic herritage. Not that referencing it would be bad, but she seems a lot more real than many ethnic characters do in other cartoons.

Alex's position as number one though was eclipsed by Sam. This of course started right after I started shipping Samandy (a61.gif heart1.gif a62.gif). Personally, I feel Sam is easily the best looking and sexiest of the three spies by a mile. I also like how she's the smartest of the three, the most strategic, and interested in things like acquiring knolwedge and activism. It gives her a good contrast from the the air-headed Alex and very shallow Clover. However, she is obviously very sweet and loves her friends very much. I think she is probably one of the deepest characters in the show.

Lastly, there is Clover. I used to kind of despise Clover, but she has grown on me more recently. I just kind of like how bad of a person she is and that she doesn't care about it at all. She's very much like Mandy. She's shallow, arrogant, self-centered, and greedy. However, unlike Mandy, she seems to be in complete denial. She also has one of the most rampant sex drives of any character I've ever seen and goes through boys like candy. All of these add together to make her very interesting and entertaining. I also like how her character is very un-PC. You would certainly never see someone like Kim Possible or any other female main character from this kind of cartoon act as ridiculous as Clover does. I give the writers plenty of points for that.

And of course, Totally Spies wouldn't be Totally Spies without the chemistry that exists between Alex, Clover, and Sam. I've really never seen a cartoon with such great chemistry between three female characters like that before. It really makes this show special.

Coming in first place is Sam! I totally had a crush on her when I watched the show as a kid (pretty much still do wink.gif ) The whole beautiful and smart redhead thing pretty much seals the deal for me! To me she’s like the leader of the group; focusing on the missions, figuring out the villian’s plan and getting the girls out of trouble. Beauty and brains - our Sammy has it all!

Then it’s a tie between Alex and Clover lol I absolutely LOVE Alex’s innocent and ditzy personality! She’s the sweetest airhead who cares deeply for her friends. When Sam and Clover are fighting, Alex is the one who has to remind them that they are friends! Cute, funny and clueless Alex biggrin.gif

Clover’s Bev Hills teenage girl personality is so OTT that it’s hilarious! I like how ridiculous she can be, her dramatic reactions and expressions really are entertaining (especially when she’s fighting with Mandy). But I also like how she can take initiative; when she’s serious, the girl means business! When it comes down to it, Clover will get the job done... that is after shopping, boys, manicures, being popular etc. ^^”
Ryofu
Coming in first place is Sam! I totally had a crush on her when I watched the show as a kid (pretty much still do wink.gif ) The whole beautiful and smart redhead thing pretty much seals the deal for me! To me she’s like the leader of the group; focusing on the missions, figuring out the villian’s plan and getting the girls out of trouble. Beauty and brains - our Sammy has it all!

Then it’s a tie between Alex and Clover lol I absolutely LOVE Alex’s innocent and ditzy personality! She’s the sweetest airhead who cares deeply for her friends. When Sam and Clover are fighting, Alex is the one who has to remind them that they are friends! Cute, funny and clueless Alex biggrin.gif

Clover’s Bev Hills teenage girl personality is so OTT that it’s hilarious! I like how ridiculous she can be, her dramatic reactions and expressions really are entertaining (especially when she’s fighting with Mandy). But I also like how she can take initiative; when she’s serious, the girl means business! When it comes down to it, Clover will get the job done... that is after shopping, boys, manicures, being popular etc. ^^”

Well, it's easy to crush on Sam. She's so attractive. a09.gif Maybe the most attractive of the three possibly. She's more serious of course, but that's more than balanced out by Clover and Alex's irrelevance. Comparatively, Clover's negative traits like her selfishness is canceled out by Sam's sense of responsibility and Alex's kind hearted nature. Sam's intelligence is needed here as well. Clover isn't as ariheaded as Alex, but she's controlled by impulse instead of of logic. So Sam's logic is very important to bringing them all together. So they work together perfectly as a trio. xd If you wanted to boil it all down, I'd say Sam = the brain, Alex = the heart and Clover = the loin. laugh.gif
hdc
QUOTE (Nextstopplease @ Feb 26 2019, 08:57 AM) *
Coming in first place is Sam! I totally had a crush on her when I watched the show as a kid (pretty much still do wink.gif ) The whole beautiful and smart redhead thing pretty much seals the deal for me! To me she€™s like the leader of the group; focusing on the missions, figuring out the villian€™s plan and getting the girls out of trouble. Beauty and brains - our Sammy has it all!

Then it€™s a tie between Alex and Clover lol I absolutely LOVE Alex€™s innocent and ditzy personality! She€™s the sweetest airhead who cares deeply for her friends. When Sam and Clover are fighting, Alex is the one who has to remind them that they are friends! Cute, funny and clueless Alex biggrin.gif

Clover€™s Bev Hills teenage girl personality is so OTT that it€™s hilarious! I like how ridiculous she can be, her dramatic reactions and expressions really are entertaining (especially when she€™s fighting with Mandy). But I also like how she can take initiative; when she€™s serious, the girl means business! When it comes down to it, Clover will get the job done... that is after shopping, boys, manicures, being popular etc. ^^€

It's close to a tie between Sam and Clover for me. My first cartoon crush was Daphne from Scooby Doo, followed by April O'Neil from the 1987 TMNT series, so I definitely agree about redheads. I'm also a longtime fan of the female Shepard from Mass Effect who is voiced by Sam's voice actress and canonically a redhead. And I like Sam's luxuriously long mane of hair and how she occasionally likes to show it off, though it also looks good pinned up to show her neck.

I wish I remember how or when I decided Clover was my favorite. I think it's her voice and Valley Girl accent that do it for me. I tend to prefer redheads or brunettes to blondes, unless it's short blonde hair, so she just happens to hit that niche : ) It amuses me that she's reluctant to go on missions unless they involve shopping/modeling/acting/being around guys (and even then she thinks of the mission as being only tangential to those things) or when she asks if they can just go home now. As you say, though, she's willing enough to step up and take charge if Sam can't do it.

It is interesting they made Alex more (occasionally) ditzy than Clover given the stereotype about blondes. (Though Clover does have that great line in "Abductions" where she thinks Isaac Newton is a cookie designer.) Clover seems like the person who's smart enough but just won't apply herself because she sees no point (she does pay attention to her figure, which takes some discipline and self-restraint). Alex seems like the one with the biggest heart and the glue that holds the team together.

QUOTE (Ryofu @ Feb 26 2019, 12:17 PM) *
I'd say Sam = the brain, Alex = the heart and Clover = the loin. laugh.gif

Clover = the babymaker heart1.gif
jettmanas
Loving the insights in this topic. Guess I missed posting in here til now.
It's almost too close to call.
All three are great due to the looks, personality, and six years (love how they age every year) as world-class heroines, constantly risking their lives for each other and the world.

Why Sam edges out the others for me is: less materialism than Clover, and higher intelligence than Alex.
But Clover and Alex are still amazing and both nearly equal to Sam imo.
The variety in looks and personality between them really is appealing.
TB74
It used to be Sam, but it's Alex, now. She's so kindhearted and bubbly—also klutzy and naive—, which I tend to like more and more in characters.
Nextstopplease
Because I’ve been drawing her so much, Clover’s been creeping up my fav spy list! I guess doodling her makes me think about her character more especially when trying to draw expressive faces.

She’s sassy, brash and very self-centred at times - so when she does put someone else first her act of kindness is emphasised more and seems more significant (if that makes sense?)

Plus the fact she’s super hot laugh.gif
hdc
QUOTE (Nextstopplease @ Jun 3 2019, 07:21 AM) *
Because I€™ve been drawing her so much, Clover€™s been creeping up my fav spy list! I guess doodling her makes me think about her character more especially when trying to draw expressive faces.

She€™s sassy, brash and very self-centred at times - so when she does put someone else first her act of kindness is emphasised more and seems more significant (if that makes sense?)

Plus the fact she€™s super hot laugh.gif

Given they're all beautiful, rich, and save the world on a weekly basis, maybe it's their flaws that make them attractive.

Sam is a genius but at the cost of being bookish and supposedly lacking social calibration (though she seems to manage fine when on a job). Alex's naivete makes her endearing.

Clover is brazenly self-confident but unlike Sam her confidence is rooted in her charisma and popularity rather than her accomplishments. So she feels the need for more popularity, being a model, actress, being treated as an adult, etc. Put another way, she's used to external validation rather than internal (and to be fair you need some of both). And the other side of her self-confidence is that it often leads her to falling short of her expectations. That makes her sympathetic, and gives her opportunities to learn and grow and keeps her from being overly perfect and static. Picture her with Sam's brains and conscience added and I think it gets harder to imagine an interesting story about her. She gets the former in "Super Agent Much?" and the result is she becomes somewhat of a sociopath. That's probably Geraldine's influence, but it could also reflect that her self-centeredness has been magnified, not tempered, by her new abilities.

MILF Clover has a great line in "Futureshock" when young Clover says "I don't think I'm even gonna make it to 2025," and she replies, "You have to, or else I won't make it!"

Even though I don't feel like she gets much character development, at least she has the potential for it. She sometimes does within an episode, but then it's contradicted at the end for comic effect, and forgotten by the next episode.

Yeah maybe that's one reason people like anti-heroes - when they do something good it's somewhat unexpected and seems to carry more emotional weight.
jettmanas
QUOTE (hdc @ Jun 9 2019, 04:27 PM) *
QUOTE (Nextstopplease @ Jun 3 2019, 07:21 AM) *
Because I�€™ve been drawing her so much, Clover�€™s been creeping up my fav spy list! I guess doodling her makes me think about her character more especially when trying to draw expressive faces.

She�€™s sassy, brash and very self-centred at times - so when she does put someone else first her act of kindness is emphasised more and seems more significant (if that makes sense?)

Plus the fact she�€™s super hot laugh.gif

Given they're all beautiful, rich, and save the world on a weekly basis, maybe it's their flaws that make them attractive.

Sam is a genius but at the cost of being bookish and supposedly lacking social calibration (though she seems to manage fine when on a job). Alex's naivete makes her endearing.

Clover is brazenly self-confident but unlike Sam her confidence is rooted in her charisma and popularity rather than her accomplishments. So she feels the need for more popularity, being a model, actress, being treated as an adult, etc. Put another way, she's used to external validation rather than internal (and to be fair you need some of both). And the other side of her self-confidence is that it often leads her to falling short of her expectations. That makes her sympathetic, and gives her opportunities to learn and grow and keeps her from being overly perfect and static. Picture her with Sam's brains and conscience added and I think it gets harder to imagine an interesting story about her. She gets the former in "Super Agent Much?" and the result is she becomes somewhat of a sociopath. That's probably Geraldine's influence, but it could also reflect that her self-centeredness has been magnified, not tempered, by her new abilities.

MILF Clover has a great line in "Futureshock" when young Clover says "I don't think I'm even gonna make it to 2025," and she replies, "You have to, or else I won't make it!"

Even though I don't feel like she gets much character development, at least she has the potential for it. She sometimes does within an episode, but then it's contradicted at the end for comic effect, and forgotten by the next episode.

Yeah maybe that's one reason people like anti-heroes - when they do something good it's somewhat unexpected and seems to carry more emotional weight.

Wow, excellent points on what makes her sympathetic and why.
A shame that comic effect at the end does negate some development.
I think a balance is ideal. Really curious if this show will come back w/slight changes- someday.
Nextstopplease
QUOTE (hdc @ Jun 9 2019, 11:27 PM) *

I totally agree with you about Clover's character development, she has have so much potential! It's the same for the other girls but more so with Clover IMO, but yes like you said they make progress by the end of the episode and then they revert to their old ways in the next. Really wished there was some progressing character development considering the show had multiple seasons - at the same time I guess it's just easy viewing for kids!
Kira Yamato
QUOTE (hdc @ Jun 10 2019, 12:27 AM) *

Oddly enough, Sam seemed to be more sociable during the span of the first two seasons. For example, I remember I really liked her friendly and slightly flirty interactions with David... they were so sincere and lovely. It was almost like if they were brother and sister. smile.gif

It seems her social skills were toned down a bit after the events of Evil Promition Much?. On the other hand, her snarkiness levels increased a lot, especially during the last seasons. lol

Ryofu
QUOTE (Kira Yamato @ Jun 13 2019, 12:04 PM) *
QUOTE (hdc @ Jun 10 2019, 12:27 AM) *

Oddly enough, Sam seemed to be more sociable during the span of the first two seasons. For example, I remember I really liked her friendly and slightly flirty interactions with David... they were so sincere and lovely. It was almost like if they were brother and sister. smile.gif

It seems her social skills were toned down a bit after the events of Evil Promition Much?. On the other hand, her snarkiness levels increased a lot, especially during the last seasons. lol

She also became naggy and mother henlike, being the one trying to get everyone else to do chores. lol
Kira Yamato
QUOTE (Ryofu @ Jun 13 2019, 06:25 PM) *
She also became naggy and mother henlike, being the one trying to get everyone else to do chores. lol

Maybe this explains why Jerry got more attracted to her in the last seasons. XD Jerry is pretty much a meticulous person himself.
Ryofu
QUOTE (Kira Yamato @ Jun 13 2019, 01:31 PM) *
QUOTE (Ryofu @ Jun 13 2019, 06:25 PM) *

Maybe this explains why Jerry got more attracted to her in the last seasons. XD Jerry is pretty much a meticulous person himself.

And a mama's boy. lol
hdc
QUOTE (Kira Yamato @ Jun 13 2019, 10:04 AM) *

As it happens my comment was based mainly on "Ski Trip", where she tries and fails to flirt with David. They're in a ski lift and she mentions the gorgeous romantic view, and he replies "yeah, but they probably had to cut down old growth forest to make this ski resort, which in turn probably left a lot of endangered animals homeless." (Debbie Downer much?)

She then gives him an even more direct hint ("It'd be nice to have a guy to share [this view] with") and his response ("I'll keep my eyes open for you") suggests he either (1) is too oblivious to be allowed on a ski slope, (2) isn't into girls, (3) is actually flirting back but overplaying it by disqualifying himself when he doesn't need to.

After he leaves, she says she needs to take flirting lessons.

Of course, (1) this exchange makes him look more socially inept than her; (2) I doubt anyone wants to dig up all those huge tree stumps just to make a ski run; (3) let's face it, in any sane world all Sam needs to do to flirt is show up and be herself.

In "Silicon Valley Girls" (I think) she refers to herself as a "nerd". My thought was "geek, maybe, nerd, fuhgeddaboudit."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.