Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prom Cancelled due to Lesbian Teen
Totally Spies Underground > Members Bunker > Underground Lounge
MetroNorthMallRat
I thought this news headline was an interesting one, to say the least

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_lesbian_prom_date

kaos-crazybunny06.gif Poor girl
KodeBreaker
Ah yes, another deceitful attack on a teenage girl who just likes other girls, and of course pretty much everybody else blames her.

Pathetic bastards.
Trillium
I was gonna post this but call it "Prom Canceled due to Homosexuals."

Stay classy Mississippi. It's times like this I'm glad I don't live in you and your ass-backwards not ratifying amendment 13 til 1995 ass and not in High School where people act like prom is the center of their sad sad lives. And pretty skilled discrimination there school. She's not kicked out of prom, EVERYONE is. You magnificently smart bigots you.

*actually had a date and went to junior and senior prom. My school also let you go if you didn't have a date and didn't care if you danced with a another girl there for fun*

And "Itawamba Agricultural High School".

Steers? Yay! Queers? Nay!
Ryofu
The ACLU should sue the shit out of them. You can't just drop something because you're ordered to include minorities. That in itself is discrimination. Also school administrations are historically ran by douche bags living in other centuries. I could see something like this happening at my high school.
Ian Spin New Yasha
Wait… people still hold proms? blink.gif
KodeBreaker
QUOTE (Ian Spin New Yasha @ Mar 11 2010, 08:33 PM) *

They do indeed. The one I had was in 2006 and then my friend Melissa invited me to her 2007 prom. I'm sure they're still going.

Or was that sarcasm? I can't ever tell these days, especially over the 'net. :/
Ian Spin New Yasha
QUOTE (TerminalGT @ Mar 11 2010, 05:44 PM) *
Or was that sarcasm? I can't ever tell these days, especially over the 'net. :/
Hell, I don't even know anymore. laugh.gif

I've been thinking that nowadays, the alma mater event to look forward to is the Skip Day, where all the students cut classes simultaneously, and not just to be in line for the opening of a GameStop on the release of Halo 3. But what the hell do I know? I've never really participated in any devious Ferris Bueller plots, even when the temptation was strong (damn you, Every Fifteen Minutes presentation), and it's been eons since I suffered at those halls of torture.
Trillium
QUOTE (Ian Spin New Yasha @ Mar 11 2010, 08:33 PM) *

A prom was the center of not one but TWO episodes of Mtv's "Reality" Show "My Life as Liz".

I don't know why I even know that. Well I do, but I am too embarrassed to admit it.

QUOTE (Ian Spin New Yasha @ Mar 11 2010, 09:02 PM) *
I've never really participated in any devious Ferris Bueller plots, even when the temptation was strong (damn you, Every Fifteen Minutes presentation), and it's been eons since I suffered at those halls of torture.

The most devious plot I ever participated in was lying to my physics professor about why two girls were missing at an amusement park and giving the girls a sign that he was there and to not come back with their pizza yet. There's more to this story involving my everloving hatred of one girl, but that's for another time.

Also Texas voted to change textbooks to make them more, conservative friendly I guess. By like, changing stuff about our history and the whole idea that the founding fathers were secularists and other such stuff. I'd imagine the chapter on the Civil War must be a hoot.

Gah. Why can't the south just secede again. You guys did that the last time we elected a senator from Illinois. So, there's precedent. Plus this guy's a black guy whose name sounds Muslim and I'm sure that pisses you off. Go wild. Us northerners will not miss you. Well, I'll miss the food, but I'm sure someone can make good facsimiles.

Note: If it is possible, I am willing to let Georgia stay. I kinda like you.
Mezoroth
Yeah, I saw the state being Mississippi and...yeah. Brilliant. :|
I too feel bad for the poor girl at the center of this. People fucking suck.
Ryofu
It's not just Mississippi, old bastards who run schools are homophobic nearly everywhere. Maybe not some of the newer teachers, but there's definitely still plenty of bigots out there. I honestly think this country will be a lot better off after a lot people die off/get sent to nursing homes.

I can recall the ex-jock basketball coach/health teacher asking if there were any gays in the health class on the first day and then saying good he didn't like them after no one rose their hand. Fucking nothing happened to him over it. Of course I was too much of a dumb ass back then to make a stink about it. If that happened now, I'd probably report it to the news paper. He also made a lot more money for being a basketball coach for a team that never won shit than the obviously lesbian softball coach who won the state championship. She of course booked the hell out of there over the pay discrepancy, and I don't blame her.
Ian Spin New Yasha
QUOTE (Trillium @ Mar 12 2010, 03:30 PM) *
A prom was the center of not one but TWO episodes of Mtv's "Reality" Show "My Life as Liz".

I don't know why I even know that. Well I do, but I am too embarrassed to admit it.
Now that you mentioned it, I don't feel so embarrassed to admit that I think Elizabeth Lee is kinda cute. I kinda figured that she represents the beauty of the everygirl moreso than Harpo Winfreh and Tyra Cranks and Speidi Montfrog combined.

I'm also not that embarrassed that I kinda know the full name of the "actress" who portrays her.
Trillium
QUOTE (J-Syxx @ Mar 12 2010, 09:25 PM) *
It's not just Mississippi, old bastards who run schools are homophobic nearly everywhere. Maybe not some of the newer teachers, but there's definitely still plenty of bigots out there. I honestly think this country will be a lot better off after a lot people die off/get sent to nursing homes.

I can recall the ex-jock basketball coach/health teacher asking if there were any gays in the health class on the first day and then saying good he didn't like them after no one rose their hand. Fucking nothing happened to him over it. Of course I was too much of a dumb ass back then to make a stink about it. If that happened now, I'd probably report it to the news paper. He also made a lot more money for being a basketball coach for a team that never won shit than the obviously lesbian softball coach who won the state championship. She of course booked the hell out of there over the pay discrepancy, and I don't blame her.

Thank god I lived in a blue state. My high school had a gay-straight alliance, GLBTQ safe zones and participated in the day of silence. Most of my teachers were either openly accepting of homosexuality or really tolerant.

There was one teacher who wasn't a fan (and maybe the lone conservative teacher on school grounds), but I forgive him cause he was a damn good math teacher, funny and never let his beliefs get in the way of teaching students. Plus if it wasn't for his help in when my TI-83 calculator was being grumpy I never would have saved all my games. Dude let me copy my stuff to his calculator and transfer over again. Plus the cell phone story. Glorious high school win.

I did go to school with a homosexual anti-semite though. Which was the weirdest person I've ever seen until that time in college when I saw the Asian midget lesbian. Not that I'm against her in any way, you just never think those three things would ever merge.
Ian Spin New Yasha
QUOTE (Trillium @ Mar 13 2010, 05:41 PM) *
I did go to school with a homosexual anti-semite though. Which was the weirdest person I've ever seen until that time in college when I saw the Asian midget lesbian. Not that I'm against her in any way, you just never think those three things would ever merge.
*shrugs* Sounds normal to me. huh.gif
Ryofu
QUOTE (Trillium @ Mar 14 2010, 02:41 AM) *
Thank god I lived in a blue state. My high school had a gay-straight alliance, GLBTQ safe zones and participated in the day of silence. Most of my teachers were either openly accepting of homosexuality or really tolerant.

Well everyone thinks the supposedly bluer states are all for gay rights, but when they put it on the ballot and vote for it they usually choose to deny people their civil rights again. So much for being more enlightened.

There was one teacher who wasn't a fan (and maybe the lone conservative teacher on school grounds), but I forgive him cause he was a damn good math teacher, funny and never let his beliefs get in the way of teaching students. Plus if it wasn't for his help in when my TI-83 calculator was being grumpy I never would have saved all my games. Dude let me copy my stuff to his calculator and transfer over again. Plus the cell phone story. Glorious high school win.

I see a few things wrong with this:

1. Last time I checked you're straight. Why is it even your position to forgive him for anything? Do you also get to forgive racists and sexists too? Maybe anti-semites perhaps, although I'm sure other jews may have issues with your stance.

2. Would you be so forgiving if he was like "well I'm not for african americans, just deal with it, it's my opinion" and then went on teaching his class, but he was an ok guy because he helped you with your calculus. People put being anti-gay lower on the taboo scale because of how we're acculturated into the still extremely homophobic US society, but it doesn't make it right. Kinda similar to how people in the south probalby think it's no big deal to be against minorities, its just a political opinion or something. I wouldn't say you're that bad, but you're falling to this trap a bit by saying something like this. It's ok though, as long as he's good at teaching you math, the straight guy who he's not against in the first place, and not the gay guy he used his political power to stop from getting hired or his child he disowned because of the way they were born.

3. I'm just really not tolerant (ironic I know) of people like that. They're just fucking jerks. You don't get the right of opinion on whether or not to be a bigot. And yes I'm related to people who still have shades of bigotry, and yes I do still consider them assholes for it. I also had friends who burned a cross in someone's yard, but they're not my friends anymore at least.

Which was the weirdest person I've ever seen until that time in college when I saw the Asian midget lesbian.

Most Asian people are shorter. I think Darkie is like 4 feet tall. That's like normal for full grown females in the Philippines.
MetroNorthMallRat
There was a story in my school newspaper about this really popular gay black dude who got disowned by his parents, so another guy at our school and his grandma took him in; I thought that was pretty cool of them to do that

And @Trilly: My school has a Gay-Straight alliance club too and a Day of Silence
Trillium
QUOTE (J-Syxx @ Mar 13 2010, 10:55 PM) *
Well everyone thinks the supposedly bluer states are all for gay rights, but when they put it on the ballot and vote for it they usually choose to deny people their civil rights again. So much for being more enlightened.

Not my state. Technically we voted against a constitutional convention, but one of the biggest supporters was a conservative christian group who probably wanted to hold the thing to ban gay marriage.

Would you be so forgiving if he was like "well I'm not for african americans, just deal with it, it's my opinion" and then went on teaching his class, but he was an ok guy because he helped you with your calculus. People put being anti-gay lower on the taboo scale because of how we're acculturated into the still extremely homophobic US society, but it doesn't make it right. Kinda similar to how people in the south probalby think it's no big deal to be against minorities, its just a political opinion or something. I wouldn't say you're that bad, but you're falling to this trap a bit by saying something like this. It's ok though, as long as he's good at teaching you math, the straight guy who he's not against in the first place, and not the gay guy he used his political power to stop from getting hired or his child he disowned because of the way they were born.

I don't even remember him being that vocal about it during class time, and I don't think he was crazy enough to deny a promotion or unlove his kids because of that. I remember him saying he would still expect you to talk even if you were participating in the day of silence which was a terrible move, but in all honesty, I think half the kids participating in it were doing it not because they knew the story or goal, they just didn't want to get called on in class and found a great excuse.

Most Asian people are shorter. I think Darkie is like 4 feet tall. That's like normal for full grown females in the Philippines.

This person could not have been more than three feet tall. FWIW, most (if not all) Asian people I know (and have seen) (of various ethnic groups) are pretty much even in height with their western counterparts.
Ryofu
Not my state. Technically we voted against a constitutional convention, but one of the biggest supporters was a conservative christian group who probably wanted to hold the thing to ban gay marriage.

Still, I'm not convinced. They didn't vote to hold a constitutional convention, but if this was a simple yes or no question on the ballot I have my doubts you would get the same outcome. Some evidence, albeit the poll of Connecticut voters 5 years old:

Women voters supported civil unions 60–34 percent, but split 47–48 percent on same-sex marriage. Men backed civil unions 52–42 percent, but opposed same-sex marriage 59–36 percent.

Could be different now I suppose, but not for Maine where the bigots won the day. There's a reason why courts should always decide these things to protect the minorities. I also recall someone named Scott Brown won an election in New England just for saying he would oppose health care reform. Unrelated, but some people over-exaggerate just how liberal certain states are.

I don't even remember him being that vocal about it during class time, and I don't think he was crazy enough to deny a promotion or unlove his kids because of that. I remember him saying he would still expect you to talk even if you were participating in the day of silence which was a terrible move, but in all honesty, I think half the kids participating in it were doing it not because they knew the story or goal, they just didn't want to get called on in class and found a great excuse.

Well, maybe I was to harsh in bashing you because of your statement, but you didn't explain it very well at all, making it seem like you said he was well known he wasn't a fan of LBGT people or something like that. My bad. Still I don't find being against civil rights a legitimate belief, opinion, political stance, etc. no matter the case. And it's still kinda goofy to forgive him for something that doesn't involve you directly. Like it wouldn't be right for someone to say they forgive Michael Richards when they're not even black. Also you said this:
and I don't think he was crazy enough to deny a promotion or unlove his kids because of that.

You know I have plenty of friends who are gay and thought their conservative parents were cool enough to be understanding of them after they came out of the closet. They were wrong, and it sometimes ended in the worst way possible. This is because certain conservative people are so set and stubborn in their beliefs that they can't see anything else. It happens a hell of a lot. Some may be understanding or just get over it, but there's a reason why I tell some people not to come out to their conservatard parents until they're at least 18 and have their own housing. When you're not of the legal majority, a parent can do a lot to you to make your existence a living hell. After 18 they can of course throw you out of the house, which has happened to so many gay children I'm sure they can't even be counted.

There's also a reason why there aren't many gay or lesbian teachers in high schools, and it has nothing to do with their teaching abilities. Most of them I have known or heard about are college professors, but they have to go through slightly less BS. Conservative people are still of the opinion that gay teachers will corrupt the students into their "lifestyle" or something. The one (in the closet, which is important) lesbian high school teacher I had, who I previously mentioned, was forced out of the school due to discrimination. Maybe you had some gay teachers at your school, but I can wager if the administration was composed of people like your math teacher, that wouldn't be the case.

This person could not have been more than three feet tall. FWIW, most (if not all) Asian people I know (and have seen) (of various ethnic groups) are pretty much even in height with their western counterparts.

Well three feet tall I guess would be midget range. lol Ok maybe not for all Asians, but still the average height for pure-blood Asians versus Caucasians is definitely lower (some of it has to doe with diet, but most of it is genetic), and it's certainly lower for females versus males over all races, thus my conclusion. People in the US who are under 5 foot are considered tiny and would be referred to as midgets, but that's normal for many women in Asian countries. That was the logic I was using, but yeah she is a midget. lol
zen
That is wacked. Sure she had her rights, but schools don't give a damn about that - they never will, so she should've just played smart. For instance, she could've asked a guy friend to be her 'date' and just wear a pantsuit, which I find both feminine, masculine & SEXY at the same time. Least its not a tuxedo.
As for her girlfriend, she could've done the same. I mean, they're not really alone in the world with each other, there's other friends you could ask. If they're lucky, they could ask a gay couple as 'dates'.
Once they're in and the prom starts, she can go back to her girlfriend. Easy as that.

As for the dancing, I'm gonna go WTH when some teacher stops her from dancing with her girlfriend. That's just too much. During my prom I danced with a LOT of girls, and some were actually lesbians in dresses who did a lil bit of one-night-enduring-to-be-girly. - AND IT WAS A CATHOLIC SCHOOL. XD

I know that she might not like the idea, but hey, you got to sacrifice a bit, and you're not the only one who's going to this gig. So don't ruin it for everyone just because the school doesn't agree with you. Didn't she even conceptualize that her misery's almost over since she's a senior? When she graduates, its goodbye to all those hypocritic school rules and hello freedom :3
Ryofu
QUOTE (zen @ Mar 15 2010, 09:36 AM) *
That is wacked. Sure she had her rights, but schools don't give a damn about that - they never will, so she should've just played smart. For instance, she could've asked a guy friend to be her 'date' and just wear a pantsuit, which I find both feminine, masculine & SEXY at the same time. Least its not a tuxedo.
As for her girlfriend, she could've done the same. I mean, they're not really alone in the world with each other, there's other friends you could ask. If they're lucky, they could ask a gay couple as 'dates'.
Once they're in and the prom starts, she can go back to her girlfriend. Easy as that.

As for the dancing, I'm gonna go WTH when some teacher stops her from dancing with her girlfriend. That's just too much. During my prom I danced with a LOT of girls, and some were actually lesbians in dresses who did a lil bit of one-night-enduring-to-be-girly. - AND IT WAS A CATHOLIC SCHOOL. XD

I know that she might not like the idea, but hey, you got to sacrifice a bit, and you're not the only one who's going to this gig. So don't ruin it for everyone just because the school doesn't agree with you. Didn't she even conceptualize that her misery's almost over since she's a senior? When she graduates, its goodbye to all those hypocritic school rules and hello freedom :3

Honestly, I think your idea of context here is a bit off, no offense, Zenny. I love you and all, but you live in the Philippines and go to a Catholic school. In the United States right now the gay rights movement has caught fire over the past couple years, and they need people to stand up against what's wrong. I can honestly tell you this girl probably didn't do this only for herself, she did it for everyone who is gay and goes to a public school and id discriminated against like this to make a statement and to put a light on the gross injustice of what happened, which is what she did. She should honestly be commended as a hero for that. If you want to make any progress on civil rights, at least in this country, it takes people like her to say no I'm not going to get up from that bus seat, you can go fuck yourself. She honestly did a great thing here. The kids at that school should be blaming the school administration. They're the ones who ruined it for everyone by acting like a bunch of closed-minded bigots who would rather cancel a prom then let a girl go to a dance with the one she loved.
zen
none taken ^^ east and west are never the same ne? XD I just didn't know that US is THAT active with the political stuff o3o
Ian Spin New Yasha
QUOTE (zen @ Mar 15 2010, 10:21 AM) *
I just didn't know that US is THAT active with the political stuff o3o
Hell, I was born and raised in the US and even I didn't know that we actually care about them political stuff x3 …

…but to be fair, I suffer from Hype Aversion. XD
Trillium
QUOTE (J-Syxx @ Mar 14 2010, 05:16 PM) *
Could be different now I suppose, but not for Maine where the bigots won the day. There's a reason why courts should always decide these things to protect the minorities. I also recall someone named Scott Brown won an election in New England just for saying he would oppose health care reform. Unrelated, but some people over-exaggerate just how liberal certain states are.

Pretty sure the percentage of people who are in favor of same-sex marriage has increased over the past 5-10 years. I don't have hard poll data, but if one looks it up, support is on the rise. Though on a national level, everytime Bill O'Reilly says the majority oppose it, he's right. The majority is shrinking though, and eventually will dry up once the older generations pass away and the current more tolerant children of the late 70s-now become a stronger overall voting block.

People in the US who are under 5 foot are considered tiny and would be referred to as midgets, but that's normal for many women in Asian countries.

I just imagined someone calling Kylie Minogue a midget cause she's 4'11". That's insane.
Ian Spin New Yasha
QUOTE (Trillium @ Mar 15 2010, 02:01 PM) *
I just imagined someone calling Kylie Minogue a midget cause she's 4'11". That's insane.
I always thought Raúl Júlia was short for his role as M. Bison.

OF COURSE!
zen
its a good thing I'm Asian XD or I'll be a midget
Ryofu
Pretty sure the percentage of people who are in favor of same-sex marriage has increased over the past 5-10 years. I don't have hard poll data, but if one looks it up, support is on the rise. Though on a national level, everytime Bill O'Reilly says the majority oppose it, he's right. The majority is shrinking though, and eventually will dry up once the older generations pass away and the current more tolerant children of the late 70s-now become a stronger overall voting block.

Found information from 2008:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_poll5f.htm

Still two years old, but definitely more relevant. According to this your state has something like 53 percent support for same sex marriage. But guess what, what people say in polls and how they vote are sometimes different because some people are liars and liberal posers about these kinda things (some polled people said they would vote for Obama only because they didn't want to seem racist), thus Maine turned out to be homophobic after all despite this poll saying that 52 percent should've voted for it that year. Your state is only one percentage point ahead of Maine here, so I'm not convinced yet that Connecticut would do the right thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.