Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shintaro Ishihara: "Gays are Genetically Defective They're Pitiful"
Totally Spies Underground > Members Bunker > Underground Lounge
Kira Yamato
Tokyo's governor Shintaro Ishihara is apparently not satisfied with just bashing manga and foreigners in his latest published statements he calls homosexuals "genetically defective" and comments on what pitiful creatures they all are.

His latest remarks come on the heels of his recent round of manga bashing, which he diversified to include gay-bashing:

I definitely get the impression they're lacking something. It's probably genetic. It's a pity they are considered a minority.

He recalls with evident disgust a visit to San Francisco:

I saw a gay parade and I really thought it was pitiful. There were pairs of men and pairs of women, and they were definitely missing something.

[...]

Deliberately showing them off [on Japanese TV] as products is something they don't even do in foreign countries.

Ishihara has a long history of such remarks, and seems unlikely to be dissuaded from continuing to make them any time soon; about the only thing more alarming than a person in his office persistently making such rash public statements is that the people of Tokyo actually continue to elect him three times so far.
Ryofu
The guy is a fucking bigot, and I've known this for a while now. It's pretty sad, but Japan is pretty fucking intolerant in a lot of ways. I just hope his moronic manga/anime censorship law gets defeated. Its pretty pathetic how it has been revealed that utter homophobia is one of the key reasons why they want to fuck up manga and anime and restrict free speech in that country.
CrowSama
Ugh! Sheesh he sounds like one of those scientific-religious types. "Being Gay is a gene!" or "Being gay is an Illness." I hate people like that. I agree with you Syxx, I just felt I had to put my two cents in on this topic, mainly because this is something for me to get perfectly pissed off at and vent.
NinjaNick101
What a bigot. angry2.gif
Stasis Muffin
It's always a shame when someone so...horribly biased is in a position of any kind of power whatsoever.

What's funny is that a long time ago, Japan was actually very tolerant of homosexuality. I mean, I was looking up some stuff about Kabuki a few days ago, and one part linked to something about homosexuality in Ancient Japan and gee, it sounded like there was a lot of it. It sounds like Western homophobia spread to Japan and that's why "people" like this "man" are more common and accepted, and given positions of power were they can spread their idiotic bullcrap. Or at least, that's what I gathered from the Wikipedia articles I was looking at.
Ryofu
QUOTE (Stasis Muffin @ Dec 9 2010, 05:36 AM) *
It's always a shame when someone so...horribly biased is in a position of any kind of power whatsoever.

What's funny is that a long time ago, Japan was actually very tolerant of homosexuality. I mean, I was looking up some stuff about Kabuki a few days ago, and one part linked to something about homosexuality in Ancient Japan and gee, it sounded like there was a lot of it. It sounds like Western homophobia spread to Japan and that's why "people" like this "man" are more common and accepted, and given positions of power were they can spread their idiotic bullcrap. Or at least, that's what I gathered from the Wikipedia articles I was looking at.

I'm not really an expert, but I think it was tolerant of gay relationships between men (long before westernization of course). Women didn't have the same freedom at all and were still tied to their male counterparts of father, son, and husband. This is pretty much a symptom of men always having power and social mobility in Japan, which is sadly still reflected in the male dominated business world that would prefer women to stay at home.

Unfortunatley, westernization has had bad effects I think, but other bad things are inherent in the original culture. This is one of the reasons why you shouldn't listen to know-it-alls who tell you you have to respect a culture just because its not your own. Opression is wrong wherever it is. But yeah hilariously this douchebag governor of Tokyo is anti-westernization and xenophobic while being utterly homophobic at the same time. He's definitely feeding into the influence of something he's supposedly against because he's a twit.

It's kind of sad that he keeps getting elected. But I've always felt anime/manga is a counter-culture. A lot of the older Japanese people who vote are living in the 50's pretty much. I think the law referenced may still get defeated mainly because of the forces of capitalism thankfully.
Kira Yamato
QUOTE (Stasis Muffin @ Dec 9 2010, 12:36 PM) *
What's funny is that a long time ago, Japan was actually very tolerant of homosexuality. I mean, I was looking up some stuff about Kabuki a few days ago, and one part linked to something about homosexuality in Ancient Japan and gee, it sounded like there was a lot of it. It sounds like Western homophobia spread to Japan and that's why "people" like this "man" are more common and accepted, and given positions of power were they can spread their idiotic bullcrap.

There are some intriguing tendencies in the Japanese society. Young Japanese people seem to be more receptive when the subject concerns sexuality. They accept homosexual relations in a more natural way. Of course this does not seem to be the case when one takes into account middle aged individuals. They usually are more conservative in matter of polemic questions, e.g., sexuality, foreigners, and so forth. As Syxx noted, this is particularly true when one considers discussions involving women.

Unfortunately most women do still have a secondary role in the Japanese society. One of the recurrent examples is Aya Hirano. She "modified" herself from a beloved seyuu for a sex symbol, somewhat that made many (male) fans to hate her. Even though she openly accused her agency of high-handedly changing the entire direction of her career without ever bothering to consult her, most fans did not even try to understand her words. Consequently she is now more hated than loved. This proves that Japanese (male) people are still very intolerant.

Returning to Mr. Ishiraha, it seems he is facing problems in relation to his nonsensical position, at least about bashing mangas: Kadokawa will officialy boycott Tokyo International Anime Fair in response to his extreme hostility towards the anime industry. I really hope more people perform a strong opposition about his statements concerning further subjects as well.
Ryofu
QUOTE (antidepressant044 @ Apr 2 2011, 02:14 PM) *
Perhaps it's the guy hismelf who's missing something:

a long, good and hard ***** up his *****!

As a way to see things with a different "outlook" (chuckles).

And StasisMuffin and KY are correct: male homosexuality was a high-society thing in medieval Japan, if I can trust what I read about it: much like in Ancient Greece, as part of formal education. I notice, by the way, that female homosexuality, on the other hand, seems to have always been dismissed, repressed and denied in society, even though male homosexuality was acknoweldeged. Gender war?

I also agree with StasisMuffin about the fact it's worrying, even disturbing to see people in power using hteir position to enforce their own bigotry (be it about sexual identity, social or ethnic origins, or whatever else that is normally covered by the International Chart of Human Rights). Alas, that's not anything new. Let's hope the guy finds himself in such an isolated position (including among his peers) that he will have to realize just how irrelevant his issues are. I also think we can trust Japanese society's evolution to do its job and that the Japanese people themselves will bring en masse enough counterpoints to Mr. Gaybasher's oh so informed opinions.

I must add that I distinctly remember a French politician (right-winger) making similar assertions about the "genetic deficiency" of gay people. He even went so far as suggesting quarantine camps for fear of contamination (that was at a time when AIDS was just being discovered and talked about, and a time when it was thought AIDS was a class-specific disease). Obviously, his opinion was blamed by the rest of our politicians, but I'm afraid the idea must still be lurking in some minds (shudders).

Isihara is a nationalist. He's completely obssessed with the purity of his own traditional culture and race. I don't think he's that far off from Hitler ideagolically. Of course, gay people don't fit nealty into those racist ideals, so they are "defective" to him.

Over all, the fact that a guy like this has power shows me one of the biggest flaws in Japanese culture. No one speaks out against anything. A politican like this in the US would not be able to hold that high of office, he would be taking fire from all sides. Some Japanese people seem to be masochists to me. I think this can change, but it will have to be the younger people taking the power from the current ruling class of cantakerous old geezers who are fine with seeing their country go down the drain for everyone but their selves.
Ryofu
QUOTE (antidepressant044 @ Apr 2 2011, 03:36 PM) *
Problem is, new generation politicians in Japan are still kinda "formatted" along the same lines as their "cantankerous old geezer" predecessors, which means that conservative mentality you evoke is likely to be maintained for generations. Unless some of these new generation politicians decide to take a stand on a radically innovating platform. Don't know if anyone sees that coming.

On the other hand, there are a lot of counter-culture movements in Japan, and more and more people who collectively show they are not satisfied with "tradition" (a catchall for "letting things going down the drain", as you put it). But they are still officially dismissed as "not representative" of Japan's popular aspirations. Hm. Guess it's part of Japan's contradictions. But I still hope there's something breeding in there that will help Japan change.

Would be interesting to have an "insider" point of view. Or even better, more than one. Any Japanese members or people who lived in Japan recently around here and willing to give their own input?

And the problem with that asssertion I think is the younger generation doesn't have a choice. School, emoployment, etc. is so regulated by strict social norms put in place by people much older than them, they don't really have a chocie but to conform. I see this changing with demographics though. As the older, stupider generation dies off, people will actually be able to force changes to the government by voting and slowly enact social change in the work force. I don't really see the younger generation eating up their role in this society as much as their older generation who are still obssesed with archaic notions that date back to World War II. This is why you see people like Isihara lashing out against the youth I think.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.