"Mandy versus Santa" (just under 1,000 words one-shot fanfic)

Here is a 999 word one-shot fanfic for this Holiday Season from Mandy's point of view. Below is the synopsis of the story should it sound intriguing, followed by a general impression of Mandy. While trying to understand where Mandy's personality may have emerged, it does not mean condoning her traits later on.

This is where it is located on fanfiction.net Mandy versus Santa

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimg.buzzfeed.com%2Fbuzz...f=1&nofb=1]

Synopsis: Would the idea whether Santa was real be ruined for a bunch of tykes by a young Mandy? Would Mandy have trampled on the feelings of other kindergarteners? (Do we even need to look at the bottom of her old Mary Janes shoes and see if there had been trampling?) Find out how the Santa shenanigans got real, by reading Mandy's account of enlightening others.

MANDY VERSUS SANTA

Mandy here, when I was a kindergartner, every girl was supposedly sugar and spice, all that. Closer to the truth for my situation - a blood pudding rebel wannabe.

So, remember when you found out that Santa Claus wasn't legit? I'm thinking about what happened around this one Thanksgiving when my aunt gave me the scoop. My sister and I were spending three months with her while my parents hit the malls and slopes in Europe. I get it now.

My aunt had to be the kindest person most people knew if they were being honest. She risked being seen as coldhearted when she let me know about Santa at such a young age. My aunt clearly let us know so she could manage any resulting anxiety, as the revelation would come sooner or later.

After my sister wolfed down a whole lot of turkey for an elementary student, my aunt told my sister and me to stay at the dinner table. Next, she calmly said "You know girls, Santa isn't real. Santa was the name of Saint Nicholas. He was fantastically nice to children. He lived hundreds of years ago."

I asked "Does that mean he's dead?"

My aunt saw no reason to tell us a different lie, so she said "Yes, he passed away."

During this period, I asked my sis "Are you going to be dead someday?" She was always the know-it-all nerd, so she said "Yes, Mandy." Then I asked if our aunt would be dead someday and my sister said "Yes, Mandy." Then I asked her if I would be dead someday, and my sister yelled "Yes!" Even before my aunt talked to us about Santa, sis knew that all the stories about him were made up.

When it came to my sister and me, the parents of my classmates didn't like us. We didn't do weird stuff, it's that people didn't understand where we came from - literally. They thought we had been born in a nearby rich Metropolis suburb - as if! - but never guessed the true birthplace of Beverly Hills. Not knowing our family's complete situation - and not bothering to ask - added to the bitterness they had for all of us, despite the fact that my aunt remained so nice in return. Lame-os.

Well, one day around this time I went to school while my sister stayed home with a cold. When I got to my "new" classroom the dorks there were excited about Christmas coming and their possible presents. Before class began, I went and whispered to my teacher Mrs. Charlotte "Santa is dead."

Mrs. Charlotte said "Hush, Dumpy - I mean Mandy." The other kids heard her mispronounce my name, and they all busted a gut. Weeks before some twerp messed up, calling me "Dumpy." First time out, my classmates saw the mistake as no big deal because it wasn't the worst thing in the world.

After that, Mrs. Charlotte was the only one who ever said "Dumpy." If she called me by the wrong name, the kids thought it was hilarious, since it broke their idea that she knew everything. I had a different take on the matter. Back then I wondered whether my teacher "accidentally on purpose" used the wrong name on occasion because she didn't like me or my family. I didn't put it past her.

Anyhow, I was aware I could stir up trouble with what I knew about the concept of Santa. My sister would have stopped me had she been there, so it was important to get the truth out before she recovered from her cold. During recess I asked a girl named Piper - a girl that I didn't know too well, but knew enough that I already didn't like her - if she wanted to hear a secret. When Piper came over, I said to her "Santa was a nice man who lived a long time ago, but now he's dead." Piper started to babble.

The other tykes were curious what happened to Piper, so they came over to me to find out. After ordering all the remaining kindergarteners to form a straight line, I kept saying to each one of them that Santa was dead. Many of the kids ended up staring forward, not knowing how to process that big bit of info. In a straightforward voice, like one of those TV news people, I continued to repeat my message "Santa is dead."

Eventually, Mrs. Charlotte came out to the recess area, rushing from kid to kid, trying to console each one, but she realized that the whole day was ruined. As we all left, I was positioned right perfect enough to see through a school bus window Mrs. Charlotte in our classroom. She looked a little dingy-dingy, like a car had whizzed by her that nearly took her out.

By suppertime every other kid's parents had phoned my aunt. The parents thought the incident took care of questions that they would have had to answer someday regardless.

My aunt realized that in trying to protect me from becoming confused in the future, she had indirectly spooked a total class of kindergartners. Later, when she was pregnant with my cousin, she made me and my sister swear to a promise. She said that this child could believe in Santa Claus, believe in the Easter Bunny, believe in the Tooth Fairy, and have imaginary friends for as long as he or she wanted. I was fine with that, since it wasn't so much that I had caused a bunch of kids some stress and I wanted to see it happen once more with another kid. I was already satisfied because after that November day in class, Mrs. Charlotte never called me "Dumpy" again.
Mandy 4 Clover 4

Nice story. It was kind of dark, but enjoyed reading it. Nice to see a story from Mandy's POV as well. Nice work!
[Image: Karen_Burger_Sig.png]

Mandy is an unpleasant person which might make people think what was her origin story. Parents that abandon her for a European vacation as she starts kindergarten? A teacher that negligently calls her by an inappropriate name? Other kids laughing at her? Who knows? Maybe Mandy was just born mean  Sweat Drop

[Image: ac7d27cf3158192255bfd14eac82aabbc8fe1b7e.png]
Mandy 4 Clover 4